From: Bit Twister on
On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 17:35:13 +1100, Grant wrote:

> If you have a decent laptop consider running a vm for browsing the
> 'net -- after the session you can revert to the snapshot vm file
> and the machine will totally forget the session.

That would help with the smart malware that checks to see if it is
running in a vm. If so, it aborts to foil AV researchers.
Since big web farms run a vm, crackers are hunting exploits in the vm
server. Have seen patches for exploits gaining host access from the vm
guest. :(

> Also, the browser vm could be a lightweight Linux distro with
> browsers and whatever you need.

Heheheh, run linux and put doze in a vm guest. Delete the snapshot
once a week and start another. :-D

http://virtualbox.org is real easy to use. Currently I have 16 Linux
guests each with about 8 gig drives. They are using 68 gigs of actual
disk space so far.

debian50 fedora11 kb409 md101 md2010a md81 md90 md91 md91a mdone91
mdOneKDE pclinux slack12 su111 suse103 ubuntu904
From: goarilla on
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 20:10:03 -0400, Leythos wrote:

> In article <7kk1qfF3830tkU1(a)mid.individual.net>, usenet-2009
> @planetcobalt.net says...
>>
>> Bit Twister <BitTwister(a)mouse-potato.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Isn't that the truth. Poor fools who get an infection, format,
>> > install XP cd are infected before they can get the service pack
>> > downloaded. :(
>>
>> You do realize that the Windows Firewall is enabled by default since XP
>> SP2 (and could be switched on manually ever since XP RTM), don't you?
>
> And you realize that in almost every residential pc I've seen, that file
> and printer sharing is enabled on computers connected directly to the
> internet?

not only that but by default people buy a pc without a login
and login as the Administrator account with a null password (win 95 ->
windows xp), or some other stupid account like user or admin.
From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers on
goarilla <kevin.paulus(a)skynet.remove-this.be> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 20:10:03 -0400, Leythos wrote:
>> usenet-2009(a)planetcobalt.net says...

>>> You do realize that the Windows Firewall is enabled by default since
>>> XP SP2 (and could be switched on manually ever since XP RTM), don't
>>> you?
>>
>> And you realize that in almost every residential pc I've seen, that
>> file and printer sharing is enabled on computers connected directly
>> to the internet?
>
> not only that but by default people buy a pc without a login and login
> as the Administrator account with a null password (win 95 -> windows
> xp), or some other stupid account like user or admin.

Do you people even read what you're responding to?

cu
59cobalt
--Mark Russinovich