From: Piotr Wyderski on
Gavin Scott wrote:

> Well, the flop is still a multi-billion dollar business I think, and
> we support some thousand(s) of them that are actively used by some of
> the world's largest companies for a substantial portion of their
> critical computing needs.

So do we. But the companies do not perform their calculations on Itanics
just because they are Itanics, but because Intel and HP hire really good
marketing guys who were able to sell that hardware. The very first thing
we do is to persuade our clients not using that platform. A large enough
x64 or Sparc-based system is all they should need.

I agree that supporting Itanium-based systems it is a business, but it is
something like making money on cripples -- not a very ethical thing to
do, since there exists a cure.

> There were perhaps more new and interesting ISA features in Itanium
> than in any other I can recall. You may not like them, or may not
> consider them a success, but it's definitely in the realm of "new
> and interesting within the last 20 years" in at least a few respects.

Surely. But a flop is a flop...

Best regards
Piotr Wyderski

From: Bill Todd on
Terje Mathisen wrote:

> OTOH, I really do believe Intel intended to start deliver in 1997, in
> which case it _would_ have been, by far, the fastest cpu on the planet.

I don't care enough at this late date to do more than question the above
assertion from what I can remember off the top of my head without
attempting to quantify my reservations, but remember that the product
that they allegedly expected to deliver in 1997 (or perhaps 1998,
depending on how you read their early claims) was Merced, not McKinley.
Do you really think that Merced in a then-current process "_would_
have been, by far, the fastest cpu on the planet" - especially for
general (rather than heavily FP-specific) code? Considering the
competition at about that time (e.g., the Alpha 21264 and the Pentium
generation that was giving it a good run at times - and PA-RISC was no
slouch either, all of them successful OoO implementations) that seems at
least debatable.

> When they finally did deliver, years later, it was still the fastest cpu
> for dense fp kernels like SpecFP.

Fastest by a small margin, once Compaq grudgingly tuned the then-current
Alpha products for SpecFP as much as the McKinleys were tuned (had they
done this earlier, Merced would not have been at the top of the heap at
all).

> They delivered too little, too late, but still managed to terminate
> several competing architecture development tracks at other vendors.

Based almost completely on ridiculously overblown hype and perceived
market domination rather than on technical merit.

- bill
From: Bernd Paysan on
nmm1(a)cam.ac.uk wrote:
>>Now, printing books is going to end soon, through e-book readers, lowering
>>the price of a book by another order of magnitude.
>
> That's two extreme speculations in one sentence :-)

I'm not talking about the official sales price of a book ;-). A usable e-
book reader is to books as what an MP3 player is to music. Did the official
sales price of music drop due to the existence of MP3 players and downloaded
music? No. It doesn't matter, the practical price for music dropped by an
order of magnitude or more.

The book publishers are going to repeat all the mistakes the MI did, plus
some new (like abusing DRM right from start, e.g. Amazon erasing "1984").

--
Bernd Paysan
http://www.jwdt.com/~paysan/
From: nmm1 on
In article <D7idnZckOPiTI0DXnZ2dnUVZ_vSdnZ2d(a)metrocastcablevision.com>,
Bill Todd <billtodd(a)metrocast.net> wrote:
>Terje Mathisen wrote:
>
>> OTOH, I really do believe Intel intended to start deliver in 1997, in
>> which case it _would_ have been, by far, the fastest cpu on the planet.
>
>I don't care enough at this late date to do more than question the above
>assertion from what I can remember off the top of my head without
>attempting to quantify my reservations, but remember that the product
>that they allegedly expected to deliver in 1997 (or perhaps 1998,
>depending on how you read their early claims) was Merced, not McKinley.
> Do you really think that Merced in a then-current process "_would_
>have been, by far, the fastest cpu on the planet" - especially for
>general (rather than heavily FP-specific) code? ...

Oh, yes, indeed, it would have been - if they had delivered in 1997
what they were promising in 1995-6. Inter alia, it would have had
lazy execution as the norm, compilers that would have optimised
arbitrary C spaghetti into excellent IA64 machine code, it would
been cheaper than the competition, and no doubt it would have been
announced by a sounder of pigs singing hosannas overhead.

If they had delivered just the hardware, it would have been by far
the fastest cpu on the planet for suitable codes (not necessarily
floating-point, but definitely only a small subset). The process
wouldn't have been a catastrophic problem, though the yield of its
pancakes wouldn't have been wonderful. And they might have pulled
that off, without needing to break any of the laws of mathematics
or physics.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: nmm1 on
In article <60e27937-1063-4241-9b96-88af251ba66b(a)p23g2000vbl.googlegroups.com>,
Robert Myers <rbmyersusa(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> There are differences. =A040 years ago, few applications programmers
>> needed to know about it - virtually the only exceptions were the
>> vector computer (HPC) people and the database people. =A0That is
>> about to change.
>>
>Vector computing was trivial, relatively speaking. I learned Cray
>assembly language before I learned any microprocessor assembly
>language. None of us really knew much of anything about concurrency
>except how to turn loops inside out, to insert $IVDEP directives, to
>use the vector mask register, and to avoid indirect addressing.

Yes, it is. However, that's not what I was talking about. There
was significant work done with asynchronicity, parallel databases,
parallel I/O, parallel communications and so on. I can't say when
it started, because it was before my time.

>> >All that work that was done in the first six days of the history of
>> >computing was aimed at doing the same thing that human "computers"
>> >were doing calculating the trajectories of artillery shells. =A0Leave
>> >the computer alone, and it can still manage that sort of very
>> >predictable calculation tolerably well.
>>
>> Sorry, but that is total nonsense. =A0I was there, from the late 1960s
>> onwards.
>>
>Where do you think I was, Nick? Do you know? I don't want to make
>this personal, but when you use comp.arch as a forum for your personal
>mythology, I don't know how to avoid it. I stand by my
>characterization.

If you check up on it, the first interactive 'real-time' games date
from the 1950s, and they were widespread by the mid-1960s. Again,
before I started. If you will deprecating the work of the first
generation, I will stop correcting you.

>For one thing, the computers that were available, even as late as the
>late sixties, were pathetic in terms of what they could actually do.

As the Wheelers frequently point out, many people did then with those
'pathetic' computers what people are still struggling to do. At the
start of this thread, I pointed out that the initial inventions were
often no more than proof of concept, but their existence is enough
to show that things have NOT changed out of all recognition.

>> >Even though IBM and its camp-followers had to learn early how to cope
>> >with asynchronous events ("transactions"), they generally did so by
>> >putting much of the burden on the user: if you didn't talk to the
>> >computer in just exactly the right way at just exactly the right time,
>> >you were ignored.
>>
>> Ditto.
>>
>Nick. I *know* when time-sharing systems were developed. I wasn't
>involved, but I was *there*, and I know plenty of people who were.

What on earth are you on about? Let's ignore the detail that Cambridge
was one of the leading sites in the world in that respect. You claim
that the 'IBM' designs involved transactions being ignored - nothing
could be further from the truth. That is a design feature of the
X Windowing System (and perhaps Xerox PARC before it), and was NOT
a feature of the mainframe designs.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.