From: Bill Todd on
Robert Myers wrote:
> On Oct 21, 6:08 am, Bill Todd <billt...(a)metrocast.net> wrote:
>
>> Once again that's irrelevant to the question under discussion here:
>> whether Terje's statement that Merced "_would_ have been, by far, the
>> fastest cpu on the planet" (i.e., in some general sense rather than for
>> a small cherry-picked volume of manually-optimized code) stands up under
>> any real scrutiny.
>
> I think that Intel seriously expected that the entire universe of
> software would be rewritten to suit its ISA.
>
> As crazy as that sounds, it's the only way I can make sense of Intel's
> idea that Itanium would replace x86 as a desktop chip.

Did you forget that the original plan (implemented in Merced and I'm
pretty sure McKinley as well) was to include x86 hardware on the chip to
run existing code natively? With that, plus only the assumption that
*new* code would be written for Itanic, the replacement plan becomes at
least somewhat more believable: old code doesn't have to run any faster
than it did when it was written, and new code with its (seemingly)
inevitable increase in bloat factor gets to be complied to run natively
on Itanic with improved speed.

Intel wasn't run by complete idiots, just by insufficiently skeptical
(and/or 'easily impressed') but otherwise reasonably bright people. All
they had to believe was that the expected performance domination would
materialize (which was HP's area of expertise, and HP was at that time a
reputable source) - and a hell of a lot of fairly bright people
*outside* Intel bought into this right into the start of this decade,
not just the middle of the last one.

- bill
From: Stephen Fuld on
Paul Wallich wrote:
> Stephen Fuld wrote:

snip

>> Does the way your spreadsheet works force serial calculations? I.e.
>> are almost all the cells that are to be recalculated dependent upon
>> the previous one, thus forcing a serial chain of calculations. Or are
>> there "multiple chains of dependent cells" that are only serial due
>> to the way Excel itself is programmed? If the latter, one could
>> enhance Open Office to use multiple threads for the recalcs which
>> would take advantage of multiple cores for something useful.
>
> I would be that a huge chunk of the time isn't in doing the actual
> calculations but in verifying that the calculations can be done.
> Spreadsheets are pretty much the ultimate in mutably-typed interactive
> code, and there's very little to prevent a recalculation from requiring
> a near-universal reparse.

Wow, I hadn't thought of that. But if you are say running multiple
simulation runs, or something else where the only thing changing is the
value of some parameters, not the "structure" of the spreadsheet, does
Excel understand that it can skip at least most of the reparse? I
suspect that Andy's spreadsheets are at the extreme of what they thought
about, and perhaps beyond. They just may not have spend much time
trying to eliminate or at least minimize what has to be reparsed as
opposed to optimizing recalc in general.

--
- Stephen Fuld
From: Robert Myers on
On Oct 21, 6:32 pm, Andrew Reilly <andrew-newsp...(a)areilly.bpc-
users.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 13:56:13 -0700, Robert Myers wrote:
> > As crazy as that sounds, it's the only way I can make sense of Intel's
> > idea that Itanium would replace x86 as a desktop chip.
>
> I don't think that it's as crazy as it sounds (today).  At the time
> Microsoft had Windows NT running on MIPS and Alpha as well as x86: how
> much effort would it be to run all of the other stuff through the
> compiler too?

Maybe Rob Warnock would tell us a little more candidly than he did
before just how hard it was to wring those SpecFP numbers out of
Itanium. I think he already said you needed a black belt in
compiling, or something like that.

I've fiddled a little with the off-the-shelf Itanium compilers, but I
always assumed that none of those compilers were even remotely good
enough that you could expect just to run old software through them and
get anything like hoped-for performance. John Dallman has had a bit
to say on the subject here.

When I talked about rewriting code, I meant just that, not merely
recompiling it. I wasn't all that interested in the standard task:
how do you feed bad code to an Itanium compiler and get acceptable
performance, because I was pretty sure that the answer was: you
don't.

I was more interested in the question: how do you write code so that a
compiler can understand enough about it to emit code that could really
exploit the architectural features of Itanium? I always assumed that
someone at Intel understood all that and briefed it to management and
management said, "No problem. We'll have the only game in town, so
people will conform their code to our hardware."

If you accept that proposition, then all you need to do is to get
enough code to run well to convince everyone else that it's either
make their code do well on the architecture or die. I'm pretty sure
that Intel tried to convince developers that that was the future they
should prepare for.

> > To add spice to the mix of speculation, I suspect that Microsoft would
> > have been salivating at the prospect, as it would have been a one-time
> > opportunity for Microsoft, albeit with a huge expenditure of
> > resources, to seal the doom of open source.
>
> How so?  Open source runs fine on the Itanium, in general.  (I think that
> most of the large SGI Itanium boxes only run Linux, right?)

RedHat Enterprise still supports Itanium, so far as I know. Open
source depends on gcc, perhaps the cruftiest bit of code on the
planet. Yes, gcc will run on Itanium, but with what level of
performance? Could the open source community, essentially founded on
x86, turn on a dime and compete with Microsoft running away with
Itanium? Maybe with IBM's muscle behind Linux, open source would have
stood a chance, but I'm not so sure. After all, IBM would always have
preferred an Itanium-free world. Had I been at Microsoft, I might
have seen a Wintanium future as really attractive.

It's true: Itanium never came close to meeting hardware goals, but
whether Itanium was even possible at all was as much a matter of
software and compilers as it was a matter of hardware, and Microsoft
is all about software.

Robert.
From: Robert Myers on
On Oct 21, 8:16 pm, Bill Todd <billt...(a)metrocast.net> wrote:
> Robert Myers wrote:
> > On Oct 21, 6:08 am, Bill Todd <billt...(a)metrocast.net> wrote:
>
> >> Once again that's irrelevant to the question under discussion here:
> >> whether Terje's statement that Merced "_would_ have been, by far, the
> >> fastest cpu on the planet" (i.e., in some general sense rather than for
> >> a small cherry-picked volume of manually-optimized code) stands up under
> >> any real scrutiny.
>
> > I think that Intel seriously expected that the entire universe of
> > software would be rewritten to suit its ISA.
>
> > As crazy as that sounds, it's the only way I can make sense of Intel's
> > idea that Itanium would replace x86 as a desktop chip.
>
> Did you forget that the original plan (implemented in Merced and I'm
> pretty sure McKinley as well) was to include x86 hardware on the chip to
> run existing code natively?

I never took that capability seriously. Was I supposed to? I always
thought it was a marketing gimmick.

Robert.
From: Bill Todd on
Robert Myers wrote:
> On Oct 21, 8:16 pm, Bill Todd <billt...(a)metrocast.net> wrote:
>> Robert Myers wrote:
>>> I think that Intel seriously expected that the entire universe of
>>> software would be rewritten to suit its ISA.
>>> As crazy as that sounds, it's the only way I can make sense of Intel's
>>> idea that Itanium would replace x86 as a desktop chip.
>> Did you forget that the original plan (implemented in Merced and I'm
>> pretty sure McKinley as well) was to include x86 hardware on the chip to
>> run existing code natively?
>
> I never took that capability seriously. Was I supposed to?

Why not? It ran x86 code natively in an integrated manner on a native
Itanic OS. As with most things Merced the original cut wasn't
impressive in terms of speed, but the relative sizes of the x86 and
Itanic processors (especially given the amount of the chip area
dedicated to cache) made it clear that full-fledged x86 cores could be
included later if necessary as soon as the next process generations
appeared.

On-the-fly translation wasn't exactly common when the original plans
were made (though the facilities for running x86 code on Alphas were
probably well under way). Later on, after Intel had inherited a lot of
those Alpha developers and the planned desktop takeover had become
indefinitely postponed, it made more sense to do the work in software.

- bill