From: whisky-dave on

"nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> In article
> <73b33b91-0db3-47a7-9ab3-7f4bdc1955f5(a)x6g2000prc.googlegroups.com>, eNo
> <grandepatzer(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Has the digital revolution reduced or improved the overall quality of
>> photographs?
>
> no. the quality is much better with digital.

For me the photograph is something you can hold usually on paper sometimes
framed, and for me some of the best pictures have been in monochrome then
'baked'
on a rotary glazer to give it that extra glossy look.

>> The argument one often hears goes something like this:
>> back in the old days, when people shot film (thump chest as needed),
>> they took more time to consider a shot, but now with digital, people
>> mindlessly click away with no concern for what they are capturing.
>
> nothing stops someone from taking their time on digital.

True, but one could have said that about 250 exposure backs I often
though of getting. Pros and those that could afford it always take more than
they need
photograph wise anyway.

>> In addition, digital has brought about a proliferation of photographers;
>> now anyone (raise nose as needed) can take a photo, and this has led
>> to an oversupply of particularly poor images that drown the few good
>> ones some still manage to take.
>
> the barrier was actually *lower* with film, where you buy a disposable
> camera, drop it off and get photos back. with digital you need to know
> how to use a computer, edit images in photoshop, match screen to print
> colour, etc.

No you don;t you can take them to chemists to photostores to print out.
I've even seem the machine in shops where you just take your memory to the
machine
and off it goes, even home printers have that facility.

From: Roy Smith on
I make a good living working for a company who manufactures disk storage
systems. Every time I get a paycheck, I'm grateful for things like Flickr
and which encourage people like me to take zillions of mediocre images and
upload them for free. More images taken means more disk drives sold. As
far as I'm concerned, we should be giving cameras away for free :-)
From: Allen on
whisky-dave wrote:
> "nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> In article
>> <73b33b91-0db3-47a7-9ab3-7f4bdc1955f5(a)x6g2000prc.googlegroups.com>, eNo
>> <grandepatzer(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Has the digital revolution reduced or improved the overall quality of
>>> photographs?
>> no. the quality is much better with digital.
>
> For me the photograph is something you can hold usually on paper sometimes
> framed, and for me some of the best pictures have been in monochrome then
> 'baked'
> on a rotary glazer to give it that extra glossy look.
>

>>> The argument one often hears goes something like this:
>>> back in the old days, when people shot film (thump chest as needed),
>>> they took more time to consider a shot, but now with digital, people
>>> mindlessly click away with no concern for what they are capturing.
>> nothing stops someone from taking their time on digital.
>
> True, but one could have said that about 250 exposure backs I often
> though of getting. Pros and those that could afford it always take more than
> they need
> photograph wise anyway.
>
>>> In addition, digital has brought about a proliferation of photographers;
>>> now anyone (raise nose as needed) can take a photo, and this has led
>>> to an oversupply of particularly poor images that drown the few good
>>> ones some still manage to take.
>> the barrier was actually *lower* with film, where you buy a disposable
>> camera, drop it off and get photos back. with digital you need to know
>> how to use a computer, edit images in photoshop, match screen to print
>> colour, etc.
>
> No you don;t you can take them to chemists to photostores to print out.
> I've even seem the machine in shops where you just take your memory to the
> machine
> and off it goes, even home printers have that facility.
>

>> digital, however, is cheaper so people experiment more, which helps
>> them learn.

Yesterday I took the last of my old darkroom stuff the Goodwill. This
was stuff I had missed on previous passes, and included a blotter roll
(anyone remember those?) and an electric slide binder. I started doing
darkroom work in 1941 and I don't miss it.
Allen
From: Tzortzakakis Dimitrios on

? "Allen" <allent(a)austin.rr.com> ?????? ??? ??????
> whisky-dave wrote:
>> "nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>>> In article
>>> <73b33b91-0db3-47a7-9ab3-7f4bdc1955f5(a)x6g2000prc.googlegroups.com>, eNo

>>> no. the quality is much better with digital.
>>
>> For me the photograph is something you can hold usually on paper
>> sometimes
>> framed, and for me some of the best pictures have been in monochrome then
>> 'baked'
>> on a rotary glazer to give it that extra glossy look.

>>> nothing stops someone from taking their time on digital.
>>
>> True, but one could have said that about 250 exposure backs I often
>> though of getting. Pros and those that could afford it always take more
>> than they need
>> photograph wise anyway.

>>> the barrier was actually *lower* with film, where you buy a disposable
>>> camera, drop it off and get photos back. with digital you need to know
>>> how to use a computer, edit images in photoshop, match screen to print
>>> colour, etc.
>>
>> No you don;t you can take them to chemists to photostores to print out.
>> I've even seem the machine in shops where you just take your memory to
>> the machine
>> and off it goes, even home printers have that facility.
>>

>>> digital, however, is cheaper so people experiment more, which helps
>>> them learn.
>>

> Yesterday I took the last of my old darkroom stuff the Goodwill. This was
> stuff I had missed on previous passes, and included a blotter roll (anyone
> remember those?) and an electric slide binder. I started doing darkroom
> work in 1941 and I don't miss it.
And neither do I. I printed in both colour and B&W (including Cibachrome), I
don't miss the chemicals putrid smell, nor the effort for printing an 8 X 10
colour , warming up the chemicals, and trying to remove the colour cast.
These days, I just print them on my Canon printer, which ewven works woth
generic ink and generic paper! The bad photos just are deleted, the keepers
remain both on the hard drive and sd card, when I reach about the size of a
cd, I burn one and give it to my sister. And I can have as many 4X5" as I
want!

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

From: Chris on
On Nov 2, 1:05 pm, "Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" <no...(a)nospam.com> wrote:
> ? "Allen" <all...(a)austin.rr.com> ?????? ??? ??????news:rLydnWbB2IJwYHPXnZ2dnUVZ_hmdnZ2d(a)giganews.com...
>
> > whisky-dave wrote:
> >> "nospam" <nos...(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> >> For me the photograph is something you can hold usually on paper
> >> sometimes
> >> framed, and for me some of the best pictures have been in monochrome then
> >> 'baked'
> >> on a rotary glazer to give it that extra glossy look.

> >> True, but one could have said that about 250 exposure backs I often
> >> though of getting. Pros and those that could afford it always take more
> >> than they need
> >> photograph wise anyway.

> >> No you don;t you can take them to chemists to photostores to print out..
> >> I've even seem the machine in shops where you just take your memory to
> >> the machine
> >> and off it goes, even home printers have that facility.

> > Yesterday I took the last of my old darkroom stuff the Goodwill. This was
> > stuff I had missed on previous passes, and included a blotter roll (anyone
> > remember those?) and an electric slide binder. I started doing darkroom
> > work in 1941 and I don't miss it.
>
> And neither do I. I printed in both colour and B&W (including Cibachrome), I
> don't miss the chemicals putrid smell, nor the effort for printing an 8 X 10
> colour , warming up the chemicals, and trying to remove the colour cast.
> These days, I just print them on my Canon printer, which ewven works woth
> generic ink and generic paper! The bad photos just are deleted, the keepers
> remain both on the hard drive and sd card, when I reach about the size of a
> cd, I burn one and give it to my sister. And I can have as many 4X5" as I
> want!
>
> --
> Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
> major in electrical engineering
> mechanized infantry reservist
> hordad AT otenet DOT gr

And for $49 we got a truly portable photo printer (Yah 4x5 only, so
what, big deal) that connects directly to our camera and we print out
family pics before we leave the family gathering.

Chris
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: Lens question