From: nospam on
In article
<73b33b91-0db3-47a7-9ab3-7f4bdc1955f5(a)x6g2000prc.googlegroups.com>, eNo
<grandepatzer(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Has the digital revolution reduced or improved the overall quality of
> photographs?

no. the quality is much better with digital.

> The argument one often hears goes something like this:
> back in the old days, when people shot film (thump chest as needed),
> they took more time to consider a shot, but now with digital, people
> mindlessly click away with no concern for what they are capturing.

nothing stops someone from taking their time on digital.

> In addition, digital has brought about a proliferation of photographers;
> now anyone (raise nose as needed) can take a photo, and this has led
> to an oversupply of particularly poor images that drown the few good
> ones some still manage to take.

the barrier was actually *lower* with film, where you buy a disposable
camera, drop it off and get photos back. with digital you need to know
how to use a computer, edit images in photoshop, match screen to print
colour, etc.

digital, however, is cheaper so people experiment more, which helps
them learn.
From: tony cooper on
On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 16:12:31 -0700 (PDT), eNo <grandepatzer(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Has the digital revolution reduced or improved the overall quality of
>photographs? The argument one often hears goes something like this:
>back in the old days, when people shot film (thump chest as needed),
>they took more time to consider a shot, but now with digital, people
>mindlessly click away with no concern for what they are capturing. In
>addition, digital has brought about a proliferation of photographers;
>now anyone (raise nose as needed) can take a photo, and this has led
>to an oversupply of particularly poor images that drown the few good
>ones some still manage to take.
>
>read the rest at http://esfotoclix.\

What I think you are overlooking is that the internet came along and
allowed people to share/show their images. We see more bad stuff now
because we see more stuff. There will be more new images uploaded to
Flickr in the next week than most of us have ever seen of other
people's photographs in their entire pre-internet lifetime.

Who knows how many bad prints and slides are tucked away in shoeboxes
that were never seen outside of the immediate circle of the
photographer.

I've scanned hundreds of old family photographs, and I can tell you
that no one in my family tree was an accomplished photographer. With
Photoshop cropping and cloning, I've improved quite a few of them.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: True Dat! on
On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 19:44:46 -0400, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

>In article
><73b33b91-0db3-47a7-9ab3-7f4bdc1955f5(a)x6g2000prc.googlegroups.com>, eNo
><grandepatzer(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Has the digital revolution reduced or improved the overall quality of
>> photographs?
>
>no. the quality is much better with digital.
>
>> The argument one often hears goes something like this:
>> back in the old days, when people shot film (thump chest as needed),
>> they took more time to consider a shot, but now with digital, people
>> mindlessly click away with no concern for what they are capturing.
>
>nothing stops someone from taking their time on digital.
>
>> In addition, digital has brought about a proliferation of photographers;
>> now anyone (raise nose as needed) can take a photo, and this has led
>> to an oversupply of particularly poor images that drown the few good
>> ones some still manage to take.
>
>the barrier was actually *lower* with film, where you buy a disposable
>camera, drop it off and get photos back. with digital you need to know
>how to use a computer, edit images in photoshop, match screen to print
>colour, etc.
>
>digital, however, is cheaper so people experiment more, which helps
>them learn.

Spoken like a true inexperienced snapshooter.

From: Walter Banks on

eNo wrote:

> Has the digital revolution reduced or improved the overall quality of
> photographs? The argument one often hears goes something like this:
> back in the old days, when people shot film (thump chest as needed),
> they took more time to consider a shot, but now with digital, people
> mindlessly click away with no concern for what they are capturing. In
> addition, digital has brought about a proliferation of photographers;
> now anyone (raise nose as needed) can take a photo, and this has led
> to an oversupply of particularly poor images that drown the few good
> ones some still manage to take.

The instant feedback from digital has helped me a lot to take better
photo's.

There is a waterfalls near where I live that one afternoon I took a
tripod and drove over just to experiment with aperture and
shutter time. I got more useful experience in that afternoon than
I have in many years with film.

The new digital darkroom software available in the last decade
has changed the whole digital experience.

w..

From: tony cooper on
On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 22:40:47 -0500, Walter Banks
<walter(a)bytecraft.com> wrote:

>eNo wrote:
>
>> Has the digital revolution reduced or improved the overall quality of
>> photographs? The argument one often hears goes something like this:
>> back in the old days, when people shot film (thump chest as needed),
>> they took more time to consider a shot, but now with digital, people
>> mindlessly click away with no concern for what they are capturing. In
>> addition, digital has brought about a proliferation of photographers;
>> now anyone (raise nose as needed) can take a photo, and this has led
>> to an oversupply of particularly poor images that drown the few good
>> ones some still manage to take.
>
>The instant feedback from digital has helped me a lot to take better
>photo's.
>
>There is a waterfalls near where I live that one afternoon I took a
>tripod and drove over just to experiment with aperture and
>shutter time. I got more useful experience in that afternoon than
>I have in many years with film.

I agree. I have a laptop, and have taken it with me on a few
occasions to preview - full-screen - the images. Then I go back to
the same scene and re-shoot.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
 |  Next  |  Last