From: PaddleHard on
I have a question about lenses, Canon in particular. I have a Digital
Rebel 300D and am looking to purchase a 50D in the next year. I'm
looking at a EF 28-135mm IS USM lense. Will this work with both
cameras? What's the rule of thumb for Canon lenses and their
'compatibility' with older and new cameras?

Thanks,
Chris
From: Ron Recer on
"PaddleHard" <ipaddle4fun(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a question about lenses, Canon in particular. I have a Digital
> Rebel 300D and am looking to purchase a 50D in the next year. I'm
> looking at a EF 28-135mm IS USM lense. Will this work with both
> cameras? What's the rule of thumb for Canon lenses and their
> 'compatibility' with older and new cameras?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

The EF 28-135mm IS USM lens will work on both the 300D and the 50D. I
bought that lens when I bought my 10D and really like it.

EF lens will work on all Canon DSLR cameras as well as Canon SLR cameras
made for autofocus lens. The EF-S lens will only work on the so called 1.6
crop sensor Canon cameras made after the EF-S lens were introduced. For
instance, an EF-S lens won't work on my Canon 10D, a 1.6 crop sensor,
because it predates the introduction of the EF-S lens. The EF-S lens are
made especially for the 1.6 crop sensors and the mount won't allow them to
be affixed to a full frame sensor or film camera.

Ron

From: J�rgen Exner on
PaddleHard <ipaddle4fun(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>I have a question about lenses, Canon in particular. I have a Digital
>Rebel 300D and am looking to purchase a 50D in the next year. I'm
>looking at a EF 28-135mm IS USM lense. Will this work with both
>cameras? What's the rule of thumb for Canon lenses and their
>'compatibility' with older and new cameras?

In general: a DX lens mounted on a FF camera will typically result in
vignetting under at least some condition (apperture/focal lenght
combination). The other way round, i.e. mounting a FF lens on a DX
camera is no problem.

Canon specific: Any EOS-lens can be mounted on any EOS-camera. However
the EOS system (using the EF mount) is completely incompatible to the
earlier FD mount system.

jue
From: PaddleHard on
On Oct 31, 12:22 pm, Jürgen Exner <jurge...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> PaddleHard <ipaddle4...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >I have a question about lenses, Canon in particular. I have a Digital
> >Rebel 300D and am looking to purchase a 50D in the next year. I'm
> >looking at a EF 28-135mm IS USM lense. Will this work with both
> >cameras? What's the rule of thumb for Canon lenses and their
> >'compatibility' with older and new cameras?
>
> In general: a DX lens mounted on a FF camera will typically result in
> vignetting under at least some condition (apperture/focal lenght
> combination). The other way round, i.e. mounting a FF lens on a DX
> camera is no problem.
>
> Canon specific: Any EOS-lens can be mounted on any EOS-camera. However
> the EOS system (using the EF mount) is completely incompatible to the
> earlier FD mount system.
>
> jue

Jurgen/Ron: Thanks for the info...

From: nospam on
In article <tlooe5lb0unbna09fqh57hbq9hupnf57i7(a)4ax.com>, J�rgen Exner
<jurgenex(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> PaddleHard <ipaddle4fun(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >I have a question about lenses, Canon in particular. I have a Digital
> >Rebel 300D and am looking to purchase a 50D in the next year. I'm
> >looking at a EF 28-135mm IS USM lense. Will this work with both
> >cameras? What's the rule of thumb for Canon lenses and their
> >'compatibility' with older and new cameras?
>
> In general: a DX lens mounted on a FF camera will typically result in
> vignetting under at least some condition (apperture/focal lenght
> combination). The other way round, i.e. mounting a FF lens on a DX
> camera is no problem.
>
> Canon specific: Any EOS-lens can be mounted on any EOS-camera. However
> the EOS system (using the EF mount) is completely incompatible to the
> earlier FD mount system.

keep in mind that any ef-s lens is incompatible with an ef mount, while
any ef lens will work on any eos camera, crop sensor or not. nobody
cares about fd lenses anymore, they've been paperweights for a couple
of decades.