From: John Navas on
On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 09:22:56 -0700, J�rgen Exner <jurgenex(a)hotmail.com>
wrote in <tlooe5lb0unbna09fqh57hbq9hupnf57i7(a)4ax.com>:

>In general: a DX lens mounted on a FF camera will typically result in
>vignetting under at least some condition (apperture/focal lenght
>combination). The other way round, i.e. mounting a FF lens on a DX
>camera is no problem.
>
>Canon specific: Any EOS-lens can be mounted on any EOS-camera. However
>the EOS system (using the EF mount) is completely incompatible to the
>earlier FD mount system.

More's the pity, because Canon FD lenses still are some of the finest
lenses ever made. That Canon orphaned them without even a single
digital body was a big betrayal of customers and a good reason to avoid
Canon products. If and when I buy a dSLR it will probably be a Nikon,
in part because Nikon has respected its promises and its customers.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: nospam on
In article <uh3pe59s70tan0ri3vie08jl6kou3ue6ss(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >Canon specific: Any EOS-lens can be mounted on any EOS-camera. However
> >the EOS system (using the EF mount) is completely incompatible to the
> >earlier FD mount system.
>
> More's the pity, because Canon FD lenses still are some of the finest
> lenses ever made.

were, not still are. modern lenses generally are much better than ones
designed 20-30 years ago and lens coatings have also improved. also,
nothing stops canon from keeping the same optical formula in a newer fd
lens, if it's actually as good as you seem to think.

> That Canon orphaned them without even a single
> digital body was a big betrayal of customers and a good reason to avoid
> Canon products. If and when I buy a dSLR it will probably be a Nikon,
> in part because Nikon has respected its promises and its customers.

fd lenses work on 4/3rds bodies, using an adapter you claim to have
used despite it not having shipped at the time you made the claim.
From: J�rgen Exner on
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
>In article <tlooe5lb0unbna09fqh57hbq9hupnf57i7(a)4ax.com>, J�rgen Exner
><jurgenex(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> PaddleHard <ipaddle4fun(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> >I have a question about lenses, Canon in particular. I have a Digital
>> >Rebel 300D and am looking to purchase a 50D in the next year. I'm
>> >looking at a EF 28-135mm IS USM lense. Will this work with both
>> >cameras? What's the rule of thumb for Canon lenses and their
>> >'compatibility' with older and new cameras?
>>
>> In general: a DX lens mounted on a FF camera will typically result in
>> vignetting under at least some condition (apperture/focal lenght
>> combination). The other way round, i.e. mounting a FF lens on a DX
>> camera is no problem.
>>
>> Canon specific: Any EOS-lens can be mounted on any EOS-camera. However
>> the EOS system (using the EF mount) is completely incompatible to the
>> earlier FD mount system.
>
>keep in mind that any ef-s lens is incompatible with an ef mount, while
>any ef lens will work on any eos camera, crop sensor or not.

Fair enough, should have pointed that out explicitely.

jue
From: No spam please on
"John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 09:22:56 -0700, J�rgen Exner <jurgenex(a)hotmail.com>
> wrote in <tlooe5lb0unbna09fqh57hbq9hupnf57i7(a)4ax.com>:
>
>>In general: a DX lens mounted on a FF camera will typically result in
>>vignetting under at least some condition (apperture/focal lenght
>>combination). The other way round, i.e. mounting a FF lens on a DX
>>camera is no problem.
>>
>>Canon specific: Any EOS-lens can be mounted on any EOS-camera. However
>>the EOS system (using the EF mount) is completely incompatible to the
>>earlier FD mount system.
>
> More's the pity, because Canon FD lenses still are some of the finest
> lenses ever made. That Canon orphaned them without even a single
> digital body was a big betrayal of customers and a good reason to avoid
> Canon products. If and when I buy a dSLR it will probably be a Nikon,
> in part because Nikon has respected its promises and its customers.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> John

Hello John.
Actually, you may find there's more of a mess with Nikon lenses than with
Canon lenses.

I have no problems using any Canon EF lens on any EF body.

This isn't the case with Nilkon. Old Nikon lenses will physically mount on a
modern Nikon body but will they support metering and all the exposure modes
offered by that modern body? A friend has a Nikon D50 DSLR and an old Nikon
telephoto zoom. The zoom works in one or two of the body's modes but not in
all of them. Based on conversations over the phone, I think the two modes
are Manual and Aperture priority.

I read, when the EF mount came out, that the FD mount physically would not
have permitted Canon to offer all the facilities they wanted on their
autofocus lenses.

Personally, I stayed with the FD bodies and lenses until there was something
better on offer.

Regards, Rog.

From: nospam on
In article <hci9pg$20dv$1(a)adenine.netfront.net>, No spam please
<me(a)spamnotwelcome.org> wrote:

> Actually, you may find there's more of a mess with Nikon lenses than with
> Canon lenses.
>
> I have no problems using any Canon EF lens on any EF body.

there are no problems using any nikon af lens on any nikon body either.
the only issue is that entry level cameras won't autofocus old lenses,
but people who buy those entry level bodies aren't likely to have old
lenses so it's a non issue.

nikon saw that most people buy 1-2 lenses with the camera and that's
it, so they made a smaller and lighter camera and sales skyrocketed.
the d40 was one of the best selling dslrs, so obviously, nikon's
marketing nailed that one right.

meanwhile, canon users can't *ever* use old manual focus lenses (and
the adapters don't work well, if at all).

> This isn't the case with Nilkon. Old Nikon lenses will physically mount on a
> modern Nikon body but will they support metering and all the exposure modes
> offered by that modern body?

depends on the body. low end cameras, no, mid and high end cameras yes.

> I read, when the EF mount came out, that the FD mount physically would not
> have permitted Canon to offer all the facilities they wanted on their
> autofocus lenses.

that's true, however, nikon's mount wasn't as limited so they were able
to maintain compatibility with old lenses, as did pentax. minolta, on
the other hand, changed the mount for no reason and came up with a
weird hotshoe.