From: No spam please on
"nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <hci9pg$20dv$1(a)adenine.netfront.net>, No spam please
> <me(a)spamnotwelcome.org> wrote:
>
>> Actually, you may find there's more of a mess with Nikon lenses than with
>> Canon lenses.
>>
>> I have no problems using any Canon EF lens on any EF body.
>
> there are no problems using any nikon af lens on any nikon body either.
> the only issue is that entry level cameras won't autofocus old lenses,
> but people who buy those entry level bodies aren't likely to have old
> lenses so it's a non issue.
>
> nikon saw that most people buy 1-2 lenses with the camera and that's
> it, so they made a smaller and lighter camera and sales skyrocketed.
> the d40 was one of the best selling dslrs, so obviously, nikon's
> marketing nailed that one right.
>
> meanwhile, canon users can't *ever* use old manual focus lenses (and
> the adapters don't work well, if at all).

< snip >

I have no problem in using my FD lenses on my FD mount bodies :->

Regards, Rog.

From: Neil Harrington on

"John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 09:22:56 -0700, J�rgen Exner <jurgenex(a)hotmail.com>
> wrote in <tlooe5lb0unbna09fqh57hbq9hupnf57i7(a)4ax.com>:
>
>>In general: a DX lens mounted on a FF camera will typically result in
>>vignetting under at least some condition (apperture/focal lenght
>>combination). The other way round, i.e. mounting a FF lens on a DX
>>camera is no problem.
>>
>>Canon specific: Any EOS-lens can be mounted on any EOS-camera. However
>>the EOS system (using the EF mount) is completely incompatible to the
>>earlier FD mount system.
>
> More's the pity, because Canon FD lenses still are some of the finest
> lenses ever made. That Canon orphaned them without even a single
> digital body was a big betrayal of customers and a good reason to avoid
> Canon products. If and when I buy a dSLR it will probably be a Nikon,
> in part because Nikon has respected its promises and its customers.

DO IT, JOHN!! :-)

You will be a happy person, and yes, Nikon is the way to go.

From: Neil Harrington on

"No spam please" <me(a)spamnotwelcome.org> wrote in message
> "John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 09:22:56 -0700, J�rgen Exner <jurgenex(a)hotmail.com>
>> wrote in <tlooe5lb0unbna09fqh57hbq9hupnf57i7(a)4ax.com>:
>>
>>>In general: a DX lens mounted on a FF camera will typically result in
>>>vignetting under at least some condition (apperture/focal lenght
>>>combination). The other way round, i.e. mounting a FF lens on a DX
>>>camera is no problem.
>>>
>>>Canon specific: Any EOS-lens can be mounted on any EOS-camera. However
>>>the EOS system (using the EF mount) is completely incompatible to the
>>>earlier FD mount system.
>>
>> More's the pity, because Canon FD lenses still are some of the finest
>> lenses ever made. That Canon orphaned them without even a single
>> digital body was a big betrayal of customers and a good reason to avoid
>> Canon products. If and when I buy a dSLR it will probably be a Nikon,
>> in part because Nikon has respected its promises and its customers.
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>> John
>>
> Hello John.
> Actually, you may find there's more of a mess with Nikon lenses than with
> Canon lenses.
>
> I have no problems using any Canon EF lens on any EF body.
>
> This isn't the case with Nilkon.

I think it is, at least as much as with Canon and probably more. You can use
some very old lenses on new Nikon bodies, giving up some capabilities such
as autofocus of course, and often metering, but if you're willing to do it
all manually with many old/new lens/body combinations you still can. How old
a Canon lens can you use (without an adapter) on a new Canon? The mount was
completely changed with the first EOS, wasn't it? And wasn't it changed
again more recently, making new lenses incompatible with older EOS bodies?

> Old Nikon lenses will physically mount on a modern Nikon body but will
> they support metering and all the exposure modes offered by that modern
> body?

Depends on how old the lens is, whether it's a CPU lens (with electrical
contacts) or not, etc. The basic Nikon F bayonet mount itself has remained
unchanged for 50 years, but there have been a number of detail additions
(and later subtractions) to it which were necessary to go with the evolving
technology in the camera bodies. Different methods of connection for
metering came and went. The details as to what is compatible with what and
to what degree are somewhat complicated, but there are several charts
available online which provide all this information, such as this one:
http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html

From: Bob Larter on
PaddleHard wrote:
> I have a question about lenses, Canon in particular. I have a Digital
> Rebel 300D and am looking to purchase a 50D in the next year. I'm
> looking at a EF 28-135mm IS USM lense. Will this work with both
> cameras?

Yep.

> What's the rule of thumb for Canon lenses and their
> 'compatibility' with older and new cameras?

Any EF (not EFS) lens should work fine on any Canon DSLR.

From: Ray Fischer on
John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
> J�rgen Exner <jurgenex(a)hotmail.com>
>>In general: a DX lens mounted on a FF camera will typically result in
>>vignetting under at least some condition (apperture/focal lenght
>>combination). The other way round, i.e. mounting a FF lens on a DX
>>camera is no problem.
>>
>>Canon specific: Any EOS-lens can be mounted on any EOS-camera. However
>>the EOS system (using the EF mount) is completely incompatible to the
>>earlier FD mount system.
>
>More's the pity, because Canon FD lenses still are some of the finest
>lenses ever made. That Canon orphaned them without even a single
>digital body was a big betrayal of customers and a good reason to avoid
>Canon products.

LOL! And tell us: What are you going to do when you upgrade to your
next P&S? Keep the lens and put it on a new body?

You really are an idiot.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net