From: Floyd L. Davidson on
rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>Floyd L. Davidson <floyd(a)apaflo.com> wrote:

>>The point is that the lens *will* work.
>
>The more relevant point is that nobody cares except for a few
>cronic malcontents.

That's true. It isn't rational.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd(a)apaflo.com
From: Bob Larter on
John Navas wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 21:11:24 -0000, "No spam please"
[...]
>> I have no problems using any Canon EF lens on any EF body.
>
> You've defining the problem away, and in fact some Canon EF lenses won't
> work on some Canon EF bodies.

Really? That's news to me. Which lenses, & which bodies?

From: Bob Larter on
No spam please wrote:
> "Bob Larter" <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> PaddleHard wrote:
>>> I have a question about lenses, Canon in particular. I have a Digital
>>> Rebel 300D and am looking to purchase a 50D in the next year. I'm
>>> looking at a EF 28-135mm IS USM lense. Will this work with both
>>> cameras?
>> Yep.
>>
>>> What's the rule of thumb for Canon lenses and their
>>> 'compatibility' with older and new cameras?
>> Any EF (not EFS) lens should work fine on any Canon DSLR.
>>
>> --
>
> I believe it is also true that any EF lens should work on any Canon EF mount
> body including their 35mm and APS bodies.

No doubt. I was assuming that because the OP asked the question here,
they were interested in DSLRs specifically.

> Before you ask - not all airlines permit digital cameras to be used during
> flight and many prohibit them during the take-off and landing phases of the
> flight. I fly with an airline that has a total ban on digital equipment.
> It's a good airline (usually on time, plenty of leg room and so on) so I'm
> happy to use a film body.

You know that all the Canon EF film bodies also have digital electronics
in them? Strictly speaking, they should ban EF film bodies as well. ;^)

From: -hh on
Bob Larter <bobbylar...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> John Navas wrote:
> > On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 21:11:24 -0000, "No spam please"
> [...]
> >> I have no problems using any Canon EF lens on any EF body.
>
> > You've defining the problem away, and in fact some Canon EF lenses won't
> > work on some Canon EF bodies.
>
> Really? That's news to me. Which lenses, & which bodies?

The EF-S lenses won't work on full frame EOS bodies ... but that's
because its an EF-S lens, which is not an EF lens, but rather a lens
that's designed to be used on EF-S based EOS bodies, which are
compatible with both EF & EF-S lenses.

-hh
From: Neil Harrington on

"nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <4aOdnX8PTJisR3DXnZ2dnUVZ_gudnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Neil
> Harrington <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote:
>
>> > Before you ask - not all airlines permit digital cameras to be used
>> > during
>> > flight and many prohibit them during the take-off and landing phases of
>> > the flight. I fly with an airline that has a total ban on digital
>> > equipment. It's a good airline (usually on time, plenty of leg room and
>> > so
>> > on) so I'm happy to use a film body.
>>
>> I never heard of such a ban. When I fly I always take a DSLR to take
>> pictures in the airport (I love airports) and a digital compact to take
>> pictures out the airliner window, and sometimes of the cockpit when the
>> door
>> is open. No one has ever objected yet.
>
> all airlines prohibit electronic devices during takeoff/landing, but
> some go further than that. some airlines ban cd/dvd players (can't have
> a laser!) or they require removable batteries to be removed and put in
> checked luggage. so while it may be rare, i wouldn't rule it out.

That's interesting. Continental -- and the smaller regional airline flying
as Continental Express -- evidently couldn't care less. I'll be using a
different airline this winter, so maybe it will be different.