From: No spam please on
"Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message

> "nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> In article <5CuHm.51192$PH1.1085(a)edtnps82>, Dudley Hanks
>> <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know if all airlines have adopted these practices, but I
>>> wouldn't be
>>> surprised.
>>
>> you aren't supposed to use electronics during takeoff or landing, but
>> during cruise it's fine. some airlines prohibit photography of airline
>> staff but allow pics out the window or of people you're traveling with.
>>

>> what i find amusing is that since there is now inflight wifi internet
>> for a fee, wireless transmitters are suddenly safe.
>
> Isn't that the way it generally works? In the early days of commercial
> air travel, bringing food on board was probably taboo -- at least until
> they found a way to charge for it, or to work it into the price of the
> ticket...
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley

Hello Dudley,
If you are over in the USA then you may not have heard of an airline named
Ryanair.
A search to find articles about Ryanair in the newspapers will give you some
amusement.
There's a rumour that they may charge passengers to use the aircraft's
toilet.
I haven't heard them charging for an inside seat as yet ...

Best wishes from a sunny UK (is it really November?),
Rog.

From: -hh on
nospam <nos...(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Neil Harrington <sec...(a)illumnati.net> wrote:
> > Rog, I knew about cell phones, because my sister -- who flies quite a lot,
> > including internationally -- had told me they couldn't be used during
> > takeoff or landing (or in flight either, if I understood her correctly). She
> > mentioned that often after landing, as soon as the seat belts light went out
> > you could hear cell phones snapping open all over the cabin.
>
> many airlines now allow cellphone use while taxiing to the gate after
> landing.

That's pretty much become SOP. However, for international flights
arriving in the USA, one isn't allowed to have your cellphone on while
going through immigration & customs (or take photos inside this
area). Its not a technology issue, but a security issue.

> > But I'd be surprised if "digital equipment" was taken to include cameras,
> > for this purpose, since as far as I know they don't generate any sort of
> > external RF.
>
> it's *extremely* small.

The general rule for the 'electronics off' is when below 10,000 ft
altitude, eg, takeoff up to 10K, and then when descending, 10K until
landing. The concern is for a potential for RF interference, and
while the objective risk is arguably small, the real issue is that it
is financially impractical to test 1,000,000 devices x 1,000 aircraft
variations to positively certify that no interference is present.

-hh

From: Dudley Hanks on

> And DUDley still he side-steps the important photography-related question
> asked of him.

How can I compose, with intent, anything of interest to the sighted while
shooting out an airplane window?

Actually, it isn't all that difficult.

Keep visiting my site and I'll try to answer your question there.

Of course, shooting those ponies is going to be a lot of fun, so you may
need to check back a few times. But, it'll be worth your while, since
composing pics of cars is a lot tougher than composing a skyline shot from a
more or less constant arrangement of elements... And I think you'll be
surprised at the much tougher car shots.

Take Care,
Dudley

From: George Kerby on

On 11/2/09 12:22 AM, in article
l4ydnTzAg9Lt53PXnZ2dnUVZ_uadnZ2d(a)giganews.com, "Neil Harrington"
<secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote:

> "Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message
>>
>> "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message

>>> That's interesting. Continental -- and the smaller regional airline
>>> flying as Continental Express -- evidently couldn't care less. I'll be
>>> using a different airline this winter, so maybe it will be different.
>>>

>> During most flights I've been on, lately, the flight crew is mainly
>> concerned with electronic devices which utilize a transmitter.
>
> Yes, that I can understand.
>

>> For instance, my Trekker GPS device has the software running on an HP
>> IPAQ, which receives GPS info from a separate (bluetooth) GPS device, so I
>> can't use it during the flight.
>>
>> But, I've had no objections to taking a few shots of Mich lying patiently,
>> or of scenic shots out the window.
>>
>> But, during take-offs and landings, requests to turn off all electronics
>> still seem to be the norm.
>>
>> I don't know if all airlines have adopted these practices, but I wouldn't
>> be surprised.
>>
>> Take Care,
>> Dudley
>
> I can't see how an ordinary digital camera could pose any sort of problem,
> unless it were one of the very few that have WiFi built in. I wonder how
> literally "all electronics" is taken. Surely they don't ban the use of
> digital watches or hearing aids, for example.

"Mister, at this time you are required to turn off your pacemaker.
When we reach 10,000 feet, you may re-start it. Thank you."

From: Dudley Hanks on

"George Kerby" <ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On 11/2/09 12:22 AM, in article
> l4ydnTzAg9Lt53PXnZ2dnUVZ_uadnZ2d(a)giganews.com, "Neil Harrington"
> <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote:
>

>> "Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote in message

>>> During most flights I've been on, lately, the flight crew is mainly
>>> concerned with electronic devices which utilize a transmitter.
>>
>> Yes, that I can understand.
>>

>>> For instance, my Trekker GPS device has the software running on an HP
>>> IPAQ, which receives GPS info from a separate (bluetooth) GPS device, so
>>> can't use it during the flight.
>>>
>>> But, I've had no objections to taking a few shots of Mich lying
>>> patiently,
>>> or of scenic shots out the window.
>>>
>>> But, during take-offs and landings, requests to turn off all electronics
>>> still seem to be the norm.
>>>
>>> I don't know if all airlines have adopted these practices, but I
>>> wouldn't
>>> be surprised.
>>>
>>> Take Care,
>>> Dudley
>>
>> I can't see how an ordinary digital camera could pose any sort of
>> problem,
>> unless it were one of the very few that have WiFi built in. I wonder how
>> literally "all electronics" is taken. Surely they don't ban the use of
>> digital watches or hearing aids, for example.
>>

> "Mister, at this time you are required to turn off your pacemaker.
> When we reach 10,000 feet, you may re-start it. Thank you."

George, that's about as good a way of encapsulating the issue as I've
read... :)

Take Care,
Dudley