From: NameHere on
On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 00:16:56 -0600, John Turco <jtur(a)concentric.net> wrote:

>NameHere wrote:
>
><heavily edited for brevity>
>
>> Here you will find a list with SD-only cameras that are using the 4GB SD
>> cards, with benchmark tests done on FAT16 and FAT32 formatted cards to
>> show the speed improvements when formatted in FAT16.
>>
>> http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Benchmarks
>
><edited>
>
>Could one quicken >any< memory card, merely by formatting it in FAT16?
>(That is, possibly sacrificing capacity, in favor of speed?)

Test it, let us know. I only know it works on SD cards in most all cameras
that support a FAT16 formatted card.

From: NameHere on
On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 09:45:50 GMT, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.delete-this-bit.and-this-part.co.uk.invalid>
wrote:

>> Could one quicken >any< memory card, merely by formatting it in FAT16?
>> (That is, possibly sacrificing capacity, in favor of speed?)
>>
>> --
>> Cordially,
>> John Turco <jtur(a)concentric.net>
>
>In principle, yes, but let's see the tests (a) showing exactly what the
>speed difference is, and whether it favours FAT16 or FAT 32, and (b)
>exactly what improvements you would get in camera usage where the the
>camera normally buffers the data itself, before trying to write it to the
>card.
>
>My suspicion is that the difference for typical in-camera use would be
>negligible, and for video you would likely want the higher capacity in any
>case.

Not true. In the CHDK capable cameras in question, it allows for you to
increase the video quality far beyond the default built into the camera.
Unless you have an exceptionally fast card the camera's buffer cannot keep
up and you will see this reported as a buffer error in the EVF/LCD display
when used with SD cards not capable of the required write-speed. In
instances where people require the very best in video quality from their
cameras, they will opt for the fastest card speeds in lieu of capacity. You
are aware too, aren't you, that card capacity is only affected on FAT16
format with many smaller files that fail to fill in each FAT16 space
requirement (rounding up for each file smaller than that required by a
FAT16 cluster) than one large one. A large file, as in the case of videos,
is hardly effected at all by using a FAT16 format. Do go study up what on
FAT really means, it might surprise you, and you won't make such foolish
comments in the future.

If only you foolish trolls would comment on what you really knew, the post
quota of usenet would drop by 99%.

From: NameHere on
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 00:49:05 -0600, John Turco <jtur(a)concentric.net> wrote:

>NameHere wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 00:16:56 -0600, John Turco <jtur(a)concentric.net> wrote:
>>
>> >NameHere wrote:
>> >
>> ><heavily edited for brevity>

>> ><edited>
>> >
>> >Could one quicken >any< memory card, merely by formatting it in FAT16?
>> >(That is, possibly sacrificing capacity, in favor of speed?)
>>
>> Test it, let us know. I only know it works on SD cards in most all cameras
>> that support a FAT16 formatted card.
>

>No, thanks; I was merely curious. Speed doesn't concern me very much, as I
>so rarely shoot video.

Do you ever shoot your images to save them in the larger file-size RAW
format? Or use the high-speed burst modes when shooting for JPG images (or
RAW)? Then speed of the card will be important to you. The faster the
camera can write a file to the card then the faster your camera is ready
for another photo. I can get by just fine using the slowest cards for video
on my cameras, but I can't get the performance needed when shooting still
frame images in any of the aforementioned circumstance. A slow SD card is
always more of a bottleneck for RAW files or burst still-frame modes than
it will ever be for video. When shooting hand-held shots in burst exposure
or focus bracketing modes then you need as little time as possible between
those hand-held shots to try to ensure all frames will still line up as
much as possible when stacked later, without a lot of time spent in
realigning them. The less you have to do later, the better.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Stolen D300 shots salvaged.
Next: genuine fractals