From: GavinB on
Does an SD memory card contain a unique identifier? Maybe it has
something similar to the way a hard disk drive has a model number.

I'm hoping I can insert my SD card into a memory reader on my PC and
read off its exact model number.

I want to get some more memory with a similar speed spec to a card I
once bought. My SD card is labelled "2GB Transcend x150" but that's
all the info I can see.

I'm aware that speed ratings such as "x150" can be an inaccurate
indicator of actual read/write performance.

--
Posted to relevant groups: hardware, photo and storage
From: kony on
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 11:10:18 GMT, GavinB
<invalid(a)nomail.com> wrote:

>Does an SD memory card contain a unique identifier? Maybe it has
>something similar to the way a hard disk drive has a model number.

A manufacturer may, or may not, continue to use the same
controller and flash chip in their same model #. All they
typically guarantee is that it meets "up to" the max read
speed listed with SD, or at least that speed with SDHC.

However, many cards have very light/small ink printing on
the plastic that can tell you exactly what the card is...
but, that doesn't help you buy another of the same unless
you have the physical card in your hand to read off the
markings on it too.

>I'm hoping I can insert my SD card into a memory reader on my PC and
>read off its exact model number.

Not going to happen.

>I want to get some more memory with a similar speed spec to a card I
>once bought. My SD card is labelled "2GB Transcend x150" but that's
>all the info I can see.

The easiest answer would be buy another Transcent 150X card,
but that is no guarantee it is identical. Another option is
buy any other reputable brand of 150X or better card, since
there are faster than 150X SD cards.

>I'm aware that speed ratings such as "x150" can be an inaccurate
>indicator of actual read/write performance.

.... true, but it could also mean there is some other 150X
card even faster than the Transcend you have.

Your best bet is reading reviews, the more recent the better
(though today, most would be focusing on SDHC rather than SD
you seem to be seeking), and buy what benched best if it's
worth any possible price difference.

Beyond that, the only highly likely way to get the exact
same pair of cards is buy both at the same time from the
same place.
From: Wolfgang Weisselberg on
["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.]

GavinB <invalid(a)nomail.com> wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I doubt you have permission from infoUSA to use their domain
"nomail.com". Please do not misuse other peoples' domains.

> I want to get some more memory with a similar speed spec to a card I
> once bought. My SD card is labelled "2GB Transcend x150" but that's
> all the info I can see.

Buy a x150 or faster card from a reputable flash memory
maker. There, you are done.

-Wolfgang
From: Wolfgang Weisselberg on
D Johnson <nospamforme(a)anyaddress.com> wrote:

Hello, sliume, liar, idiot. Plonk another sock puppet.
You're sooo easy to see through, any stupid P&S camera can do that.

-Wolfgang
From: David J Taylor on
> Could one quicken >any< memory card, merely by formatting it in FAT16?
> (That is, possibly sacrificing capacity, in favor of speed?)
>
> --
> Cordially,
> John Turco <jtur(a)concentric.net>

In principle, yes, but let's see the tests (a) showing exactly what the
speed difference is, and whether it favours FAT16 or FAT 32, and (b)
exactly what improvements you would get in camera usage where the the
camera normally buffers the data itself, before trying to write it to the
card.

My suspicion is that the difference for typical in-camera use would be
negligible, and for video you would likely want the higher capacity in any
case.

(Note that in the URL given, the instruction given is to run the test
twice, thus enabling any caching along the path. In actual camera usage,
you don't normally write the same image to the card twice over).

David

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Stolen D300 shots salvaged.