From: Savageduck on
Even though I lost the D300 I had a redundant backup system, so I have
been able to salvage most of the shots from my African trip.
It is good to be home. The return trip via Amsterdam, with bad European
and East coast weather was a nightmare. Each leg of the return was met
with a delay. I had a 39 hour day from Cape Town to SFO.

African Wild dogs, fast moving, well camouflaged, and tough to shoot.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/Wilddogs-2009-H2/index.html

More cheetah,
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/Cheetah-2009-H1/index.html

and Southern Masked Weaver, totally engaged in nest building.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/Weaver/index.html

Just a taste from a traveling amateur. I will be replacing the stolen
D300 with a D300s.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: NameHere on
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 19:47:56 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>Just a waste from a traveling amateur.

Yeah, that's what I thought you typed.

From: Twibil on
On Dec 22, 7:47 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> Even though I lost the D300 I had a redundant backup system, so I have
> been able to salvage most of the shots from my African trip.
> It is good to be home. The return trip via Amsterdam, with bad European
> and East coast weather was a nightmare. Each leg of the return was met
> with a delay. I had a 39 hour day from Cape Town to SFO.
>
> African Wild dogs, fast moving, well camouflaged, and tough to shoot.

Pretty cool. Nature's camo can be *amazingly* effective.

A few years ago I was walking one of our Greyhounds out in the canyon
behind my home when he suddenly froze and "fixed" on something that I
couldn't see.

After staring for ten seconds or so I finally caught a flicker of
movement and realised that there was a Bobcat standing next to a
sagebrush bush only about ten feet in front of us. (Which explained
why the dog was vibrating like a tuning fork.)

The cat's dappled camo fit into the background so well that I'd have
walked right past him -and never known he was there- had the dog not
spotted him.

~Pete
From: Atheist Chaplain on
> Even though I lost the D300 I had a redundant backup system, so I have
> been able to salvage most of the shots from my African trip.
> It is good to be home. The return trip via Amsterdam, with bad European
> and East coast weather was a nightmare. Each leg of the return was met
> with a delay. I had a 39 hour day from Cape Town to SFO.
>
> African Wild dogs, fast moving, well camouflaged, and tough to shoot.
> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/Wilddogs-2009-H2/index.html
>
> More cheetah,
> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/Cheetah-2009-H1/index.html
>
> and Southern Masked Weaver, totally engaged in nest building.
> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/Weaver/index.html
>
> Just a taste from a traveling amateur. I will be replacing the stolen D300
> with a D300s.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

Glad to see you home safe and sound, its a pity about the Camera but good to
see something was salvaged :-)

--
[This comment is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Church of
Scientology International]

From: Savageduck on
On 2009-12-23 00:55:56 -0800, LOL! <lol(a)lol.org> said:

> On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 19:47:56 -0800, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> Even though I lost the D300 I had a redundant backup system, so I have
>> been able to salvage most of the shots from my African trip.
>> It is good to be home. The return trip via Amsterdam, with bad European
>> and East coast weather was a nightmare. Each leg of the return was met
>> with a delay. I had a 39 hour day from Cape Town to SFO.
>>
>> African Wild dogs, fast moving, well camouflaged, and tough to shoot.
>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/Wilddogs-2009-H2/index.html

Well I am glad I was able to provide you a moment of cheer for the
holiday season

> Where's the hunt? Where's the kill? What's the matter? Didn't they allow
> you off of your cushy tourist bus long enough to follow them and capture
> them doing something interesting? Surely at 8fps you should have caught
> these common wild-dogs doing something more interesting than ambling about
> during their normal daily activities.

You seem to have mistaken these wild dogs for some "common" species you
are more familiar with in your basement, here is a little more
information, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_wild_dog these are
of a somewhat less "common" type.

....and as far as ambling goes, their quick movement does not lend
itself for staged posed shots. I captured what I could. I am sure you
have some fine example of how I should have done it buried somewhere in
your basement, but I just couldn't wait for you to share that with us.

Also, unlike you, I have never claimed to be anything more than a
hobbiest, amateur photographer. I had no idea there was any other
qualification for posting in any of the photo NG forums.
We have nothing but your self-inflating rants to support your claims of
photographic genius.

If my posts support your belief of my amateur, snapshooter status, so
be it. I have never claimed to be anything else.

--
Regards,

Savageduck