From: Ejay on

"Ejay" <arteliean(a)westnet.com.au> wrote in message

> <rfdjr1(a)optonline.net> wrote in message
>> For lack of a better way of putting it. I'm using PSP 8. What I'd like to
>> do is
>> take an image of say, a motor vehicle (actually, fire apparatus) and just
>> have
>> the actual engine to use on a website with a transparent background. I've
>> found
>> some great pictures on the web, but I need to delete all the background.
>> I know
>> I can tediously use the clone feature and white everything that I dont
>> want out
>> of the shot. But is there an easier way? Thanks.
>
> Don't understand why you would white the background if you want to have a
> transparent one?

Just realised as I was doing this on an image today, that I had given the
wrong instructions DUH!!
I should never trust my memory

I'll start again

First I enlarge the image to a good workable size via the zoom tool -
generaly x2 or x3 is enough

Go quickly round the part you want to keep with the background eraser
making sure to keep
the centre point off the object.
I tend to use a large round point [50] as this will go round quickly with
out the problem of deleting
colour in the part you want to keep, because the point has gone over the
edge.
Make sure you lift the eraser regularly as you go, then if you have to undo,
it only go back to your last 'lift'
This should get rid off the bulk of the background around the part you want
to keep

Do a fairly loose freehand selection round what you want to keep

Copy> then Paste as a new image, I keep my default background as transparent
so it will
paste with a transparent background. You may need to change yours.

Finally go in with the eraser and tidy up any stray pixels - I constantly
change my eraser size and shape
as I do this, so it fits into nooks and crannies better. - enlarge via the
zoom if you need to see pixels clearer.

Don't forget to reduce image again via zoom, then save as .png file to
conserve the transparent background.

That should work better :-)