From: rfdjr1 on
For lack of a better way of putting it. I'm using PSP 8. What I'd like to do is
take an image of say, a motor vehicle (actually, fire apparatus) and just have
the actual engine to use on a website with a transparent background. I've found
some great pictures on the web, but I need to delete all the background. I know
I can tediously use the clone feature and white everything that I dont want out
of the shot. But is there an easier way? Thanks.
From: Dave Symes on
In article <6e46n59uhge5jmij4a0u6als1bnvl3an26(a)4ax.com>,
<rfdjr1(a)optonline.net> wrote:
> For lack of a better way of putting it. I'm using PSP 8. What I'd like
> to do is take an image of say, a motor vehicle (actually, fire
> apparatus) and just have the actual engine to use on a website with a
> transparent background. I've found some great pictures on the web, but I
> need to delete all the background. I know I can tediously use the clone
> feature and white everything that I dont want out of the shot. But is
> there an easier way? Thanks.

Perhaps I misunderstand the question, but the PSP Background Eraser is a
very satisfactory tool for accomplishing such things.

Have you tried that?

Another way would be to use one of the Selection tools, then Ctrl-C, then
Paste it into a Transparent New Image.

Dave

PS: Personally I wouldn't dream of attempting to Clone out a background,
using the Clone tool, too much like hard work.
D.

--

Dave Triffid
From: Don Stauffer on
rfdjr1(a)optonline.net wrote:
> For lack of a better way of putting it. I'm using PSP 8. What I'd like to do is
> take an image of say, a motor vehicle (actually, fire apparatus) and just have
> the actual engine to use on a website with a transparent background. I've found
> some great pictures on the web, but I need to delete all the background. I know
> I can tediously use the clone feature and white everything that I dont want out
> of the shot. But is there an easier way? Thanks.

I generally use one of the selection tools to eliminate background.
Which one depends on the properties of the background. Once selected, I
then delete selection.
From: aMereCat on
On Feb 10, 3:08 pm, rfd...(a)optonline.net wrote:
> For lack of a better way of putting it. I'm using PSP 8. What I'd like to do is
> take an image of say, a motor vehicle (actually, fire apparatus) and just have
> the actual engine to use on a website with a transparent background. I've found
> some great pictures on the web, but I need to delete all the background. I know
> I can tediously use the clone feature and white everything that I dont want out
> of the shot. But is there an easier way? Thanks.

If the brightness of the background contrasts with the object then try
using the Magic Wand with Mode set to Add, Match Mode set to
Brightness and Anti-alias checked and set to Outside. Adjust the
Tolerance as needed. That should get most if not all of the
background. In Add Mode just click again on some pixels it didn't
pick up. Press Delete.

After you have deleted every thing that you want, choose Selections >
Select All. Then choose Selections > Float and Selections > Defloat.
If you still see some small pixels you didn't get, then choose
Selection > Modify > Remove Specks and Holes. Invert selection and
press Delete.

From: Ejay on

<rfdjr1(a)optonline.net> wrote in message
> For lack of a better way of putting it. I'm using PSP 8. What I'd like to
> do is
> take an image of say, a motor vehicle (actually, fire apparatus) and just
> have
> the actual engine to use on a website with a transparent background. I've
> found
> some great pictures on the web, but I need to delete all the background. I
> know
> I can tediously use the clone feature and white everything that I dont
> want out
> of the shot. But is there an easier way? Thanks.

Don't understand why you would white the background if you want to have a
transparent one?

I would do a freehand selection round what I want to keep, invert selection
then cut and paste
that into a new transparent background. From there I would enlarge the
image via the
zoom tool until Icould see the pixels and go quickly round with the
background eraser making sure to keep the centre
point off the object. This should get rid off the bulk of remaining
background.
Then use the eraser to go round and carefully erase any remaining
background pixels and
when satisfied reduce to correct size again.

Ejay