From: Bruce on
On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 15:09:43 -0400, Bowser <Canon(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote:
>On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 12:47:22 -0400, "David Ruether"
><d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote:

>>> Man, that is amazingly bad for a fixed focal length lens. Maybe Sony shoulda stayed in bed with Zeiss.
>>
>>Even a good maker can have a "bad day"...snip...
>
>Agreed, but this one has "turkey" written all over it. The released it
>to the testers, got hammered, claimed they were all pre-productions
>samples, and then they release this? And the zoom looks bad, as well.
>I'm afraid these two lenses, combined with the utterly horrible
>control system on the NEX cams might do nothing but sell a ton of m4/3
>cams. I had hoped for something good, but they worked so hard to make
>it small they made it unusable.

The NEX5 has just been given an extremely positive review in the
respected UK magazine "Amateur Photographer". You can buy the
magazine in the USA at good bookstands - I believe all Barnes and
Noble stores have it.

The camera was tested with the 18-55mm kit lens which performed like
most of the "family" of 18-55mm kit lenses - tolerably well for a kit
lens. But the camera received high praise. Particularly high praise
went to the video system.

The reviewer's only serious reservation was that, as a DSLR user, he
thought the user interface was designed purely for point and shoot
owners trading up. He expressed the hope that another model might be
offered in the NEX series for more serious photographers, giving more
traditional controls without having to delve deep into multiple menus
to change simple settings.

However, I think he rather missed the point. The *whole* point of
Micro cameras, in fact, which is of course to get point and shoot
owners trading up.

Sony has had the greatest difficulty selling the Alpha series of DSLRs
to new entrants. A very high proportion of Alpha sales have been to
former Minolta owners, with very few trading up from Sony point and
shoot cameras.

The NEX series provides an extremely good upgrade route for Sony point
and shoot owners, who will find the interface and many of the cameras'
features reassuringly familiar. NEX will also appeal to owners of
Sony bridge cameras such as the F828 and R1.

Finally, NEX will also appeal to owners of other brands of point and
shoot cameras who want to trade up to something with a larger sensor
that lacks the unfamiliar complication of a DSLR but offers most of
its image quality.

Sony has a winner on its hands here.

This makes it all the more important to get that 16mm lens right. The
18-55mm isn't fantastic, but it is probably good enough. The 18-200mm
won't be much good, but no-one expects it to be. The 16mm is key,
because everyone expects a fixed focal length lens to perform far
better than it appears this one does.

I don't know if it is significant, but Sony has sent neither the 16mm
nor the 18-200mm lenses to UK reviewers. I hope this means that the
16mm will be revised.

What can be in very little doubt is that the NEX spells disaster for
the entry level Alpha DSLRs. If NEX succeeds, and I believe it will,
it could very quickly take over from Alpha DSLRs as the flagship range
of Sony digital cameras. There is scope for a high end NEX body that
would replace the whole Alpha DSLR range below full frame.

The question would then be, how can the Alpha DSLRs survive?

From: David J Taylor on
"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
[]
> The key to getting DSLR owners to "trade across" to NEX is a body that
> has more traditional controls, enabling basic parameters such as
> aperture and shutter speed to be changed without resorting to multiple
> menus. Perhaps there will be an NEX7.

... and a viewfinder, perhaps?

David

From: Bruce on
On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 11:54:55 +0100, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>[]
>> The key to getting DSLR owners to "trade across" to NEX is a body that
>> has more traditional controls, enabling basic parameters such as
>> aperture and shutter speed to be changed without resorting to multiple
>> menus. Perhaps there will be an NEX7.
>
>.. and a viewfinder, perhaps?

Sony hasn't ruled out the possibility of an accessory electronic
viewfinder (EVF) for all NEX models.

There is a shoe-mounted optical viewfinder available for the 16mm
lens. It is very expensive, though that is probably because the
viewfinder has more competent optics than the lens. ;-)

From: Pete on
On 2010-06-05 12:14:44 +0100, Bruce said:

> On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 11:54:55 +0100, "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>> "Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> []
>>> The key to getting DSLR owners to "trade across" to NEX is a body that
>>> has more traditional controls, enabling basic parameters such as
>>> aperture and shutter speed to be changed without resorting to multiple
>>> menus. Perhaps there will be an NEX7.
>>
>> .. and a viewfinder, perhaps?
>

> Sony hasn't ruled out the possibility of an accessory electronic
> viewfinder (EVF) for all NEX models.
>
> There is a shoe-mounted optical viewfinder available for the 16mm
> lens. It is very expensive, though that is probably because the
> viewfinder has more competent optics than the lens. ;-)

I thought the TLR concept was obsolete, obviously not. At least the TLR
had the better lens in front of the film so that idea is obsolete.

--
Pete

From: David J Taylor on
> On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 11:54:55 +0100, "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>>"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>[]
>>> The key to getting DSLR owners to "trade across" to NEX is a body that
>>> has more traditional controls, enabling basic parameters such as
>>> aperture and shutter speed to be changed without resorting to multiple
>>> menus. Perhaps there will be an NEX7.
>>
>>.. and a viewfinder, perhaps?
>

> Sony hasn't ruled out the possibility of an accessory electronic
> viewfinder (EVF) for all NEX models.
>
> There is a shoe-mounted optical viewfinder available for the 16mm
> lens. It is very expensive, though that is probably because the
> viewfinder has more competent optics than the lens. ;-)

<G>

David