From: John Braner on
On 27/01/2010 08:05, Rick Paul wrote:
> In looking into my list of remaining post-Win7Pro x64 installation issues, I
> noted that J-Bridge was touted as a possible solution/workaround for a few
> plug-in issues. While I'm not particularly high on the idea of buying a
> third party product to work around what would seem to be bugs in BitBridge,
> I thought I'd at least try the demo version of J-Bridge to see if it did
> indeed provide a potential solution.
>
> I initially was curious on whether it would make E-MU's Proteus VX work.
> BitBridge scans it and loads it, but the user interface comes up blank, so
> it doesn't actually do anything. Sure enough, J-Bridge loads it just fine,
> and I also was able to verify that this freeware plug-in loads my Emulator X
> sample libraries. Since Emulator X doesn't even install properly on Win7
> x64, even in for standalone mode use, this could provide a way to load its
> libraries. (E-MU is supposedly coming out with, or maybe even did already
> come out with, and Emulator X3 that will have an x64 version, but I'm
> guessing that upgrade will cost a lot more than J-Bridge, and I don't so
> much care about the full sampler's power anyway, though I wouldn't mind
> having access to the libraries.)
>
> I'd previously indicated that Submersible Music's (actually, there's a new
> company that owns the product now, but I forget the name) KitCore worked
> fine with BitBridge, which it did based on the level of testing I'd done at
> the time -- basically loading it up as a plug-in and playing some loops from
> its browser. However, in looking into BitBridge for the Proteus VX thing, I
> learned that trying to save a SONAR x64 project with KitCore via BitBridge
> in it, SONAR would hang, which I verified to be true. J-Bridge also did end
> up solving that.
>
> Finally, just for the fun of it, I tried J-Bridge with the Toontrack's EZ
> Drummer since Dave M. had reported that as a possible workaround. Sure
> enough, it does allow it to load its sample libraries. However, the first
> time I tried loading EZ Drummer via J-Bridge, SONAR crashed -- it worked
> fine the second time -- so I'm not sure how stable that combo is.
> Personally, though, I'd rather just load the EZ Drummer kits and grooves via
> the public beta of the x64 version of Superior Drummer 2 loads EZ Drummer
> kits (and Toontrack is supposed to be coming out with an x64 version of EZ
> Drummer soon, too).
>
> One nice thing about J-Bridge is that, unlike BitBridge, which puts its
> plug-ins in a separate Windows-level window, which then stay on top of
> everything, making it difficult to get to dialog boxes in certain cases and
> also to go back and forth between SONAR and other applications, J-Bridge
> seems to make its windows behave more like 64-bit plug-ins, including not
> hiding dialog boxes that come up in the space they are occupying.
>
> Rick

I think jbridge is *well* worth the �15 (what is that in $?) especially
for plugins with a lot of presets.

--
===========
John Braner

jbraner(a)NOblueyonderSPAM.co.uk
http://cdbaby.com/cd/JohnBraner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
From: John Braner on
> fact, I used it extensively on my newest song from last sunday. BTW, I use
> No-Bridge with my DAW and *all* my plugins load up correctly so I can work
> on music instead of working on my DAW. ;)

What fun is that? Your beetz and loopz are only "half" as good as 64 bit
ones ;-)

--
===========

From: Kraig Olmstead on
Names (No-bridge) without links aren't completely helpful. God knows
you aim to be completely helpful, Glennbo...

KO

From: Kraig Olmstead on
Thank you very much for both responses, Glennbo.

It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools. Sonar has been as good to
me as I can ask, but it hasn't gotten me to my goals. Perhaps it's me,
but perhaps it's time to take a look at Reaper. Goodness knows the
price is right.

KO

From: Kraig Olmstead on
But so far your link to No-bridge
(http://www.bing.com/reference/search?q=bridge%20to%20nowhere&FORM=K1RE)
is <a-hem> a link to nowhere.

I'm getting excited about my Buddy Holly Tribute gig on 2/3, BTW.

KO