From: Eeyore on

Phil Allison wrote:

> "D Parker"
>
> > Does anyone know the specs on the JBL AD44 cabinet by chance.
>
> ** That is ** NOT ** a JBL design.
>
> It is very likely one of Doug Ford's designs, done while at Jands in Sydney
> in the 1990s.
>
> Very naughty of Jands to badge them with a JBL logo.
>
> I heard that JBL in the USA were " Not Amused" when they found out.

Is there even a 'JBL in the USA' left of any significance ?

Graham

From: Ian on
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 22:13:54 +1100, "Phil Allison"
<philallison(a)tpg.com.au> wrote:

>Very naughty of Jands to badge them with a JBL logo.
>
>I heard that JBL in the USA were " Not Amused" when they found out.

What's new?, it's Jands. a company well known for their "liberation"
of speaker cabinet designs back in the 70s and early 80s.

Ian
From: Peter Larsen on
Hi Phil,

Phil Allison wrote:

> ** Bet anything this is what the OP is on about.

Thank you Phil!

> ....... Phil

Regards

Peter Larsen
From: Phil Allison on

"Ian"
"Phil Allison"

>>Very naughty of Jands to badge them with a JBL logo.
>>
>>I heard that JBL in the USA were " Not Amused" when they found out.
>
> What's new?, it's Jands.

** Yep - a fair bit of hopeful cloning went on with their J600 and J1000
amps.

The latter example being an object lesson is how NOT to make a " hybrid "
clone.

> a company well known for their "liberation"
> of speaker cabinet designs back in the 70s and early 80s.

** Not very likely any *real* patent or copyright issues are involved with
the shapes of simple wooden boxes. OTOH -unauthorised use of brand names
and logos tends to get their rightful owners VERY hot under the collar !!

Jands believed they had reasonable excuse with cabs like the " System 1400
", since it was jam packed with JBL pro-series components and a x-over
design that actually worked properly - unlike the ( theatre system
derived) junk JBL pretended were high power x-overs.

Plus the important fact that Jands Electronics was then ( and still is) the
only authorised importer and legal representative of JBL professional
products in Aussie.

The Yanks at JBL growled a bit, but did not bite ....

........ Phil

From: Ian on
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 00:37:06 +1100, "Phil Allison"
<philallison(a)tpg.com.au> wrote:

>>>Very naughty of Jands to badge them with a JBL logo.
>>>I heard that JBL in the USA were " Not Amused" when they found out.
>> What's new?, it's Jands.

>** Yep - a fair bit of hopeful cloning went on with their J600 and J1000
>amps.
>
>The latter example being an object lesson is how NOT to make a " hybrid "
>clone.

Bloody hell, the J1000 .. runs and crosses fingers and hides. If I
recall correctly they had more thermal issues than the proverbial
nitrocellulose dog in hell. Horrible shite they were.

Back in the dim dark past I loved my J600s .. crude as they were and a
bit prone to "going to god" on the output stages though.

Speaking of crude Jands gear, their old 100W Bass heads were godawful.
From what little I can recollect of the circuit they were somewhat
like the old ETI-480 except not as robust in the output stage.

>> a company well known for their "liberation"
>> of speaker cabinet designs back in the 70s and early 80s.

>** Not very likely any *real* patent or copyright issues are involved with
>the shapes of simple wooden boxes. OTOH -unauthorised use of brand names
>and logos tends to get their rightful owners VERY hot under the collar !!

They purloined the EV Sentry cabinet design for a short series of
single 15" with dual piezo horns back in either the very late 70s or
early 1980. I remember Jands selling the cabs off in 82- 83 minus
drivers for $50 a cabinet. That was about the same time that Jands
disposed of their inventory of 4560 and 4580 cabs The Jands rep I
purchased some from swore blind they were an original Jands design,
yet when I autopsied one a few years later it was a to the mm internal
clone of the EV bin. (EV were at that point in Taren Point, just down
the road from where I lived).

>Jands believed they had reasonable excuse with cabs like the " System 1400
>", since it was jam packed with JBL pro-series components and a x-over
>design that actually worked properly - unlike the ( theatre system
>derived) junk JBL pretended were high power x-overs.

I didn't use any passive gear back then, can't comment on the JBL high
powered X-overs.

>Plus the important fact that Jands Electronics was then ( and still is) the
>only authorised importer and legal representative of JBL professional
>products in Aussie.

True, as they have been since the late 70s if memory serves me right.

Better not get me started on Jands as they were not my favourite
company.

I take it you're the same Phil Allison who had a few designs published
in the 1990s in the long gone and sorely missed EA?

Ian
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Fake Sennheiser e845?