From: Ostap Bender on
On Jul 3, 5:00 pm, JSH <jst...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 3, 4:44 pm, "Sue San" <inva...(a)invalid.com> wrote:
>

> > "JSH" <jst...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > On Jul 2, 8:12 pm, "Sue San" <inva...(a)invalid.com> wrote:
>
> > > "Mark Murray" <w.h.o...(a)example.com> wrote in message

> > >Yeah, wild.  What possibly could such a person think they're doing?
>
> > >Thanks for the observation!  You're very observant.
>
> > >James Harris
>
> > at least in sci.math, sci.crypt it is posted in public and anyody can read
> > it, Twitter ? it only goes to your fiends.
>
> Twitter is more powerful than Usenet.  Search on ANY search engine:
> jstevh

Why would anybody search for "jstevh" and not, say, for"asdfghs"?

> Now re-think that position about only my friends.

You are right: you have no friends. Only jerks like myself who laugh
at you.

> My tweets pop up in the weirdest places.

Do you take your iPad to weird places?

>It's a MUCH BIGGER effect
> than Usenet ever achieved.
>
> I can just think something, tweet it, and start seeing things move
> immediately.

They say that bran and prune juice are also good for that.

> It's freaking bizarre.  Twitter is actually kind of scary powerful.
>
> It is the most powerful leverage tool on planet earth.

Amazing, man! Like totally!

> No one yet knows the full limits of Twitter.  It is the most powerful
> thing out there right now.

Don't be modest: YOU are the most powerful thing out there right now.
Way out!

From: Ostap Bender on
On Jul 2, 5:30 pm, JSH <jst...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 1, 8:19 pm, JSH <jst...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > My concern has been that fundamental equations in modular arithmetic
> > could be exploited rather quickly and it appears with my latest
> > efforts that that concern may be correct.
>
> > With the approach to discrete logarithms I've found it appears you CAN
> > optimize the approach, and even though that involves looking for
> > factors q^2 mod N, near N^2, it appears that it's easy to come up with
> > a method that would allow factoring numbers on that scale as it's NOT
> > a factorization where you don't have more tools from the idea itself.
>
> > Some of you may think this situation is a game.  I assure you it is
> > not.
>
> > My own hope had been that the research was far away from a trivial
> > optimization but it appears that it is closer than I realized.
>
> And maybe not.  I felt a bit of panic yesterday but wonder today if I
> overreacted.
>
> Which is how it usually goes...as time goes by you start wondering,
> and especially figure, if this thing were really important, wouldn't
> somebody important notice?

Having frequent bi-polar swings?

From: JSH on
On Jul 5, 1:34 am, Ostap Bender <ostap_bender_1...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 3, 5:00 pm, JSH <jst...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 3, 4:44 pm, "Sue San" <inva...(a)invalid.com> wrote:
>
> > > "JSH" <jst...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > at least in sci.math, sci.crypt it is posted in public and anyody can read
> > > it, Twitter ? it only goes to your fiends.
>
> > Twitter is more powerful than Usenet.  Search on ANY search engine:
> > jstevh
>
> Why would anybody search for "jstevh" and not, say, for"asdfghs"?

To see where the tweets are ranging. The poster to whom I was
replying seemed to think that Twitter was only about a small group,
when public tweets can bounce around the planet.

The way to see where some of my tweets end up is to search: jstevh

And you can do that in ANY search engine, not just Google.

Twitter is for some reason one of the best ways to put your ideas on
the world stage. If you can put your ideas into 140 characters or
less, you can have your tweets popping up on webpages that can
surprise you.

I see my tweets all over the place. It is a MUCH bigger effect than
Usenet, which is also, yup, a way to push your ideas around the world,
because these newsgroups get echoed around the planet.

All the world is not a stage--Usenet and Twitter are.

If you wish to talk to the world, when you're not already famous,
Usenet and Twitter are the way to do it.

And Twitter is the best way to do it.

James Harris
From: JSH on
On Jul 5, 7:05 am, "Jesse F. Hughes" <je...(a)phiwumbda.org> wrote:
> JSH <jst...(a)gmail.com> writes:
> > To see where the tweets are ranging.  The poster to whom I was
> > replying seemed to think that Twitter was only about a small group,
> > when public tweets can bounce around the planet.
>
> > The way to see where some of my tweets end up is to search: jstevh
>
> > And you can do that in ANY search engine, not just Google.
>
> I honestly am not sure what you think indicates your tweets are widely
> reproduced.  I didn't see anyone reproducing your tweets, except for
> indexing sites likehttp://feeltiptop.com/from:jstevh.

Oh, I'm almost never re-tweeted. I don't consider that to be of
interest.

> But I did findhttp://twitalyzer.com/search.asp?q=jstevh.  That's pretty
> enlightening.  It lists all your tweets as follows:
>
> 0.1%
> Impact
>
> 0.0%
> Engagement
>
> 0.0%
> Influence
>
> On the plus side, the site says:
>
>   A ranking in the 5th percentile means that @jstevh's Twitalyzer Impact
>   score is higher than 5 percent of the 133,673 active Twitter accounts
>   we are tracking.
>
> So, you're more influential than one in twenty accounts!

Yeah I've seen that site. It started popping up in my searches a few
weeks ago? I'd guess it goes by Followers and re-tweets as big
indicators.

Obviously I didn't like their low ranking so checked it out once and
am not a promoter of it. I think maybe they missed some other
possible indicators, but hey, a lot of people are trying things with
Twitter.

> Also, you might like their description (Influencer Type) of you.  They
> call you a "source", rather than a "spider" or "sun":
>
>   Sources have smaller networks but often originate ideas

Well yeah, I have a small network. I have 59 followers which could
change quickly, where it's been at 58 for quite a while.

Do you have a Twitter account? If so, why not give your Twitter
handle so readers can comparison search? Or anyone who publicly
tweets can do so in reply.

It really helps here to comparison search. Do a search on: jstevh

And then do a search on someone else's handle. If you don't have one
handy just go to Twitter and you can find plenty. Search on whomever
you wish, in comparison.

It's a search issue, not a count of Followers or re-tweets or other
measures that are popular. Just one on searching in search engines
and comparing what they give you for jstevh, versus what you get for
others.

James Harris
From: Richard Henry on
On Jul 5, 6:46 am, JSH <jst...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 5, 1:34 am, Ostap Bender <ostap_bender_1...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > Twitter is more powerful than Usenet.  Search on ANY search engine:
> > > jstevh
>
> > Why would anybody search for "jstevh" and not, say, for"asdfghs"?
>
> To see where the tweets are ranging.  The poster to whom I was
> replying seemed to think that Twitter was only about a small group,
> when public tweets can bounce around the planet.
>
> The way to see where some of my tweets end up is to search: jstevh
>
> And you can do that in ANY search engine, not just Google.
>
> Twitter is for some reason one of the best ways to put your ideas on
> the world stage.  If you can put your ideas into 140 characters or
> less, you can have your tweets popping up on webpages that can
> surprise you.
>
> I see my tweets all over the place.  It is a MUCH bigger effect than
> Usenet, which is also, yup, a way to push your ideas around the world,
> because these newsgroups get echoed around the planet.
>
> All the world is not a stage--Usenet and Twitter are.
>
> If you wish to talk to the world, when you're not already famous,
> Usenet and Twitter are the way to do it.
>
> And Twitter is the best way to do it.
>
> James Harris

Do you have any ideas that are worth more than 140 characters?