From: Jorge on
http://jorgechamorro.com/cljs/081/
--
Jorge.
From: Scott Sauyet on
On Jan 6, 11:02 am, Jorge <jo...(a)jorgechamorro.com> wrote:
> Ba Wna 1, 8:61 cz, Fpbgg Fnhlrg <fpbgg.fnh...(a)tznvy.pbz> jebgr:
>> ... V'ir
>> frra yvggyr sebz lbh be nalbar ryfr gb fhttrfg gung guvf ernyyl vf
>> jbegu npghnyyl gelvat.  Qb lbh fgvyy guvax vg vf?
>
> Lrf.
>
>> Vs fb, jul?
>
> Gb znxr yrff boivbhf gur qrgnvyf bs lbhe pbqr.

I really was hoping for a little more detail!

I understand that we would do obfuscation in order to "make less
obvious the details of your code." That's really a tautology. But
it's not just a matter of rot13ing (!) the text. The OP was talking
about a technique beyond minimizing, variable-renaming, and packing,
one which would make it prohibitively time-consuming to understand the
basics of how the code works. Clearly it would not make it
impossible. Black-box testing might eventually get most of the way
there, and any semantics-preserving transformation would presumably be
in theory reversible enough that a really determined hacker would get
through it all.

I guess the question is do you think there is code that is both worth
this level of protection and unimportant enough to accept what would
quite possibly be a noticeable degradation in performance? Moreover,
are you willing to take the debugging hit as well, since if these
transformations are susceptible error, you would have issues where the
transformed code might not do what the untransformed code does? What
sort of code would you use this for?

-- Scott
From: Jorge on
On Jan 6, 5:17 pm, Scott Sauyet <scott.sau...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

(Why ? What for ?)
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:-)
From: Scott Sauyet on
On Jan 6, 2:07 pm, Jorge <jo...(a)jorgechamorro.com> wrote:
> On Jan 6, 5:17 pm, Scott Sauyet <scott.sau...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> (Why ? What for ?)

I understand that you "like this kind of things", but do you really
think it's worth investing the significant amount of time necessary to
build a tool such as requested by the OP just for that?

I personally have learned much with View Source. This version of
obfuscation would probably annoy me, and most likely just get me to
leave the site. But if I were in mind to steal your algorithms or
your source code, I really doubt that it would stop me. Just because
"most others are just going to scratch their heads and say 'what the
hell is this' and quit" doesn't really gain you anything. It's the
determined hackers that are likely out to really steal from you. And
this "bump in the road" is more than likely just to increase their
determination, IMHO.

-- Scott

P.S. Oh, and by the way,

E2S5AJ56AJMJIIq6pUckZJ96naEhIKyupKcOAKOuL2uiHR9fGRgCqaOYGKIk
IR1xo3cdqT96FJkhrwIzQDcJIUI6GGAknT9DG2uZFyA2o1IAqKSHL2uiHR9b
GRgGMT96naEWrzAbo1OCqxkTpJShrwIzIyEeLH1XAJLAPyMHI2Sirzc0pTSC
rJ9HDJSjFwIzIyIKAx0mFJuiHR9bpID1ZxkXL2uiHQD9
From: Jorge on
On Jan 6, 9:03 pm, Scott Sauyet <scott.sau...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2:07 pm, Jorge <jo...(a)jorgechamorro.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 6, 5:17 pm, Scott Sauyet <scott.sau...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > (Why ? What for ?)
>
> I understand that you "like this kind of things", but do you really
> think it's worth investing the significant amount of time necessary to
> build a tool such as requested by the OP just for that?

The time it would take to build such a tool, I don't know. But if it
were readily available I'd use it.

> I personally have learned much with View Source.  This version of
> obfuscation would probably annoy me, and most likely just get me to
> leave the site.

No, you wouldn't if you were a paying user of my webapp.

> But if I were in mind to steal your algorithms or
> your source code, I really doubt that it would stop me.

Algorithm ? No. You just want to tamper with it, e.g. -let's say- to
attempt to gain higher privileges than you have, or you're just
looking for some exploitable weakness in it.

> Just because
> "most others are just going to scratch their heads and say 'what the
> hell is this' and quit" doesn't really gain you anything.

In the real world, yes. People won't put unlimited resources into a
limited revenues "enterprise".

> It's the
> determined hackers that are likely out to really steal from you.

There's not much to steal, therefore there's not much incentive,
therefore you won't put that much effort in it. (This isn't fort
worth)

> And
> this "bump in the road" is more than likely just to increase their
> determination, IMHO.

I've heard that before, but I don't agree.

>   -- Scott
>
> P.S. Oh, and by the way,
>
> E2S5AJ56AJMJIIq6pUckZJ96naEhIKyupKcOAKOuL2uiHR9fGRgCqaOYGKIk
> IR1xo3cdqT96FJkhrwIzQDcJIUI6GGAknT9DG2uZFyA2o1IAqKSHL2uiHR9b
> GRgGMT96naEWrzAbo1OCqxkTpJShrwIzIyEeLH1XAJLAPyMHI2Sirzc0pTSC
> rJ9HDJSjFwIzIyIKAx0mFJuiHR9bpID1ZxkXL2uiHQD9

Ok. But I gave you the tools to decript them with ease.
--
Jorge.