From: Scott Sauyet on
On Jan 6, 3:55 pm, Jorge <jo...(a)jorgechamorro.com> wrote:
> On Jan 6, 9:03 pm, Scott Sauyet <scott.sau...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 6, 2:07 pm, Jorge <jo...(a)jorgechamorro.com> wrote:
>
>> I personally have learned much with View Source.  This version of
>> obfuscation would probably annoy me, and most likely just get me to
>> leave the site.
>
> No, you wouldn't if you were a paying user of my webapp.

Maybe that's the difference. I've never had someone pay to use my
webapps. They are either freely available, or locked in a corporate
Intranet. I've certainly never been in a situation where the webapp
is itself what people are paying to use.

>> P.S. Oh, and by the way,
>
>> E2S5AJ56AJMJIIq6pUckZJ96naEhIKyupKcOAKOuL2uiHR9fGRgCqaOYGKIk
>> IR1xo3cdqT96FJkhrwIzQDcJIUI6GGAknT9DG2uZFyA2o1IAqKSHL2uiHR9b
>> GRgGMT96naEWrzAbo1OCqxkTpJShrwIzIyEeLH1XAJLAPyMHI2Sirzc0pTSC
>> rJ9HDJSjFwIzIyIKAx0mFJuiHR9bpID1ZxkXL2uiHQD9
>
> Ok. But I gave you the tools to decript them with ease.

I saw that, but not until after I'd finished sending my second
response. :-) The first one was easy. The second one, I clearly
missed a step, but still ended up close enough to get most of the
sense of it. The version I ended up with started, "It's simple. I li}
e this k{nd of t�{ngs". I'm curious as to what I missed, when I did,
this:

rot13(base64(rot13(~coded data~)))

What was the missing step?

-- Scott
From: Jorge on
On Jan 6, 10:19 pm, Scott Sauyet <scott.sau...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>     rot13(base64(rot13(~coded data~)))
>
> What was the missing step?

That it's a rot135, not a rot13.
--
Jorge.
From: Scott Sauyet on
On Jan 6, 4:25 pm, Jorge <jo...(a)jorgechamorro.com> wrote:
> On Jan 6, 10:19 pm, Scott Sauyet <scott.sau...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>     rot13(base64(rot13(~coded data~)))
>
>> What was the missing step?
>
> That it's a rot135, not a rot13.

Ah, never seen that before. Interesting...

-- Scott
From: Ira Baxter on

"Andrew" <anzesk(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Jan 5, 5:21 pm, "Ira Baxter" <idbax...(a)semdesigns.com> wrote:
> You should read the following paper on how to make extremely
> difficult obfuscation:
>
> http://math.auckland.ac.nz/bitstream/2292/4398/1/0674154.pdf

>The link doesn't work and it seems their webpage has some difficulties
>(results on Google all point to another, nonexisting server - I guess
>they are doing the redirect poorly), while their own search finds
>nothing on 'obfuscation'.

>Any chance you could provide a better link or path to the file?

Sorry. All you really need to do is Google do for "Control flow
obfuscation"
or "Data flow obfuscation", or read any of Christian Collberg's papers
or any paper that references Collberg :-}

Collberg's Software Obfuscation Research. To ensure platform independence,
mobile programs are distributed in forms that are isomorphic to the original
www.cs.arizona.edu/~collberg/Research/Obfuscation

--
Ira Baxter, CTO
www.semanticdesigns.com

From: Andrew on
On Jan 7, 4:17 pm, "Ira Baxter" <idbax...(a)semdesigns.com> wrote:
> "Andrew" <anz...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jan 5, 5:21 pm, "Ira Baxter" <idbax...(a)semdesigns.com> wrote:
> > You should read the following paper on how to make extremely
> > difficult obfuscation:
>
> >http://math.auckland.ac.nz/bitstream/2292/4398/1/0674154.pdf
> >The link doesn't work and it seems their webpage has some difficulties
> >(results on Google all point to another, nonexisting server - I guess
> >they are doing the redirect poorly), while their own search finds
> >nothing on 'obfuscation'.
> >Any chance you could provide a better link or path to the file?
>
> Sorry.   All you really need to do is Google do for "Control flow
> obfuscation"
> or "Data flow obfuscation", or read any of Christian Collberg's papers
> or any paper that references Collberg :-}

Well, I would, except that I didn't know that the paper you were
citing is from Collberg (or its title either)... I did manage to find
some other very interesting papers though, which is just as well. :-D

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.