From: Bilge on
harry:

>Bilge wrote:
>> Harry:

>> >You mean, they are *out of sync* according to the calibration of
>*every
>> >other* frame - or your experiment is different from this one of PD.
>>
>> Exactly. What you fail to understand is that any to events
>connected
>> by a signal which propagates with less than infinite velocity are not
>> simultaneous in that case.
>
>I wonder why you think that I fail to understand that out of sync is
>called asynchronous...

Because you don't appear to understand that.

[...]
>> The existence of an effect is not sufficient to infer a cause.
>
>I meant a cause in general. If you mean with "a cause", a specific
>proposed cause, I agree. Or do you pretend that things may just happen
>without any cause?

Radioactive decay, Spontaneous emission, etc.

[...]
>> in principle, be manipilated by physical means through an experiment
>> and quantified. If you can't affect some physical quantity, it can't
>> affect you, since those are one and the same.
>
>I agree except for the last phrase: there you again confuse cause and
>effect. I can't affect the sun, therefore it can't affect me"??!

You can affect the sun merely by launching a rocket that
ends up in the sun. The effect might be small, but in principle
the effect exists and can be quantified. In this case, the effect
is easy to quantify. The additional mass increases the mass of
the sun and therefore adds additional matter for fusion. You deliberately
confuse ``in principle'' with ``in practice'' in order to avoid the
difficulty of quantifying what you claim is possible in principle
so you can disregard it as being impossible to quantify.

[...]
>> Only if you believe it's turtles all the way down, in which case,
>> you might as throw your hands up in despair, declare science to have
>> no point and go to work for a pr firm.
>
>I think that there is a limit. But that makes no difference for this!

It makes a great deal of difference, since you want to quit where
modern physics suggests that limit exists rather than address what
your own views suggest for that limit. You can't have it both ways.

[...]
>> You are suggesting exactly that. You are trying to avoid
>> quantifying the elements that make up the ontology of a theory
>> by removing the cause to the cause of a cause which is
>> unquantifiable. That simply adds a literal ``nothing'' to the theory.
>
>That sounds like garble to me. If you mean that physics can't describe
>all, I agree.

That isn't what I mean, but you are determined to equivocate whatever
I say to whatever you want it to mean, so there's no point in trying
to elaborate further.

From: Harry on

> harry:
SNIP

Bilge wrote:
> >> The existence of an effect is not sufficient to infer a cause.
> >
> >I meant a cause in general. If you mean with "a cause", a specific
> >proposed cause, I agree. Or do you pretend that things may just happen
> >without any cause?
>
> Radioactive decay, Spontaneous emission, etc.

I see. Philosophy issues of QM and of SR are clearly intertwined.

> >> in principle, be manipilated by physical means through an experiment
> >> and quantified. If you can't affect some physical quantity, it can't
> >> affect you, since those are one and the same.
> >
> >I agree except for the last phrase: there you again confuse cause and
> >effect. I can't affect the sun, therefore it can't affect me"??!
>
> You can affect the sun merely by launching a rocket that
> ends up in the sun. The effect might be small, but in principle
> the effect exists and can be quantified. In this case, the effect
> is easy to quantify. The additional mass increases the mass of
> the sun and therefore adds additional matter for fusion. You deliberately
> confuse ``in principle'' with ``in practice'' in order to avoid the
> difficulty of quantifying what you claim is possible in principle
> so you can disregard it as being impossible to quantify.

That was not a confusion but an example. Examples must be practicle in order
to be clear.
I hoped you'd understand that we were discussing final causes of measurable
effects, which are not measurable by principle -- but your practical
counter example shows that either you didn't understand that, or you just
want to argue.

> [...]
> >> Only if you believe it's turtles all the way down, in which case,
> >> you might as throw your hands up in despair, declare science to have
> >> no point and go to work for a pr firm.
> >
> >I think that there is a limit. But that makes no difference for this!
>
> It makes a great deal of difference, since you want to quit where
> modern physics suggests that limit exists rather than address what
> your own views suggest for that limit. You can't have it both ways.

Neither way provides a way out for your argument, as they both impose the
admission that we can't measure everything that there is.
I'm surprised that I had to spell that out to you.

> [...]
> >> You are suggesting exactly that. You are trying to avoid
> >> quantifying the elements that make up the ontology of a theory
> >> by removing the cause to the cause of a cause which is
> >> unquantifiable. That simply adds a literal ``nothing'' to the theory.
> >
> >That sounds like garble to me. If you mean that physics can't describe
> >all, I agree.
>
> That isn't what I mean, but you are determined to equivocate whatever
> I say to whatever you want it to mean, so there's no point in trying
> to elaborate further.

Hmm, I agree that it's pointless.

Harald

From: Bilge on
Harry:

>"Bilge" <dubious(a)radioactivex.lebesque-al.net> wrote in message
>> harry:
>SNIP

>> >I meant a cause in general. If you mean with "a cause", a specific
>> >proposed cause, I agree. Or do you pretend that things may just happen
>> >without any cause?
>>
>> Radioactive decay, Spontaneous emission, etc.
>
>I see. Philosophy issues of QM and of SR are clearly intertwined.

Non-responsive.

>> >I agree except for the last phrase: there you again confuse cause and
>> >effect. I can't affect the sun, therefore it can't affect me"??!
>>
>> You can affect the sun merely by launching a rocket that
>> ends up in the sun. The effect might be small, but in principle
>> the effect exists and can be quantified. In this case, the effect
>> is easy to quantify. The additional mass increases the mass of
>> the sun and therefore adds additional matter for fusion. You deliberately
>> confuse ``in principle'' with ``in practice'' in order to avoid the
>> difficulty of quantifying what you claim is possible in principle
>> so you can disregard it as being impossible to quantify.
>
>That was not a confusion but an example. Examples must be practicle in order
>to be clear.

Non-responsive.

>I hoped you'd understand that we were discussing final causes of measurable
>effects, which are not measurable by principle -- but your practical
>counter example shows that either you didn't understand that, or you just
>want to argue.

Non-responsive

From: John Kennaugh on
Bilge writes
> harry:

> >> The existence of an effect is not sufficient to infer a cause.
> >
> >I meant a cause in general. If you mean with "a cause", a specific
> >proposed cause, I agree. Or do you pretend that things may just happen
> >without any cause?
>
> Radioactive decay, Spontaneous emission, etc.

What makes you think there is no cause simply because we do not
understand what it is? We know that radioactive decay occurs at a quite
precise rate for a massive number of atoms. This surely implies that
some condition in the individual atom has a precise chance of occurring.

A one armed bandit pays out due to a cause - the wheels have lined up.
The fact that we are unable to predict when that happens does not
suggest that coins pour out without cause.
--
John Kennaugh
to email convert the number from hex to decimal
From: Bilge on
John Kennaugh:
>Bilge writes
>> harry:

>> >I meant a cause in general. If you mean with "a cause", a specific
>> >proposed cause, I agree. Or do you pretend that things may just happen
>> >without any cause?
>>
>> Radioactive decay, Spontaneous emission, etc.
>
>What makes you think there is no cause simply because we do not
>understand what it is?

(1) Because the statistics are evidence _for_ a probabilistic process
not merely a lack of knowing what the process is,

(2) A probabilistic process makes a lot more physical sense than
a determistic one.

>We know that radioactive decay occurs at a quite

Don't say ``we.'' What you know about any physics amounts to the
material needed for one episode of sesame street.

>precise rate for a massive number of atoms. This surely implies that
>some condition in the individual atom has a precise chance of occurring.

The fundamental ``chance of occuring'' to which you refer may be
specified by 3 factors: (1)The coupling constant of the force responsible
for the transition, (2) number of possible final states to which the
initial state might make a transition, (3) the matrix elements between the
initial and final states, otherwise known as conservation laws. The
coupling constant determines the fundamental probability for an
interaction. That means what you regard as a force is a probability of an
interaction.

>A one armed bandit pays out due to a cause - the wheels have lined up.
>The fact that we are unable to predict when that happens does not
>suggest that coins pour out without cause.

Gee, why didn't I think of that... Oh. Wait a second. I _did_
think of that. Long ago. It's just been a while since I've
encountered that shallow argument. See

www.apa.org/journals/features/psp7761121.pdf

for details before posting the same strawman.