From: cadwgan_gedrych on
Daryl McCullough wrote:
> cadwgan_gedrych(a)yahoo.com says...
>
> >Here is an example of its blatant circularity/triviality:
> >
> >SR sez:
> >"If we manually force all clocks in all frames to
> >obtain the same one-way light speed, then, by George,
> >all clocks in all frames will obtain the same one-way
> >light speed."
> >
> >Can you, even your blinded eyes, see the silly circularity?
>
> SR says more than that---it says that *every* experiment done
> in the "moving" frame, using clocks synchronized Einstein's way,
> produces the same results as the same experiment performed in
> the "stationary" frame.
>
> In particular, consider the following experiment:

Foul.
Slowly transported clocks are not E-synched. (His
definition does not mention moving clocks, and uses
light signals.)

> In the moving frame, we synchronize a clock at
> rest at position x'=0 and a clock at rest at position
> x'=L using light signals. Then we slowly (at a speed
> much slower than the speed of light) move the
> first clock from its position x'=0 until it is
> side-by-side with the clock at postion x'=L. Then
> we compare times. The prediction of SR is that
> the clocks will continue to be in synch.

Wrong. SR does not pertain to actual or physical clock slowing,
and yet that is what would happen during clock transport. If
you believe otherwise, then you must prove that clocks moving
at different speeds do not have different intrinsic rhythms.

> That is a nontrivial empirical prediction. More generally,
> SR predicts that any clock transported along any path
> will show an elapsed time of
>
> tau = Integral of square-root(1 - v(t)^2/c^2) dt
>
> where v(t) is the instantaneous velocity of the clock at time t.
> That doesn't follow circularly from the definition of Einstein
> synchronization.

Wrong again. As I said, SR makes zero predictions about intrinsic
clock rhythms. The only way such rhythms are within SR is via
Einstein's explicit (see 1905 paper) and mere acceptance of the
MMx null result _up front_, prior to SR. No prediction, just
acceptance of an old (1887) experimental result.
[key search words in 1905 paper: "in agreement with experience"]

> Your basic point is correct---some predictions of a theory
> are not true predictions, they are more like conventions;
> Einstein's synchronization convention is such a convention
> (that's why it's called a "convention"). In order to extract
> the physical content of a theory, it is helpful to rephrase
> predictions so that the result is independent of any such
> conventions. The constancy of the speed of light is *not*
> a physical prediction, unless you operationally define how
> you are measuring it.

Partly right; partly wrong.
Your implication that SR does make some scientific predictions
is simply incorrect, but at least you agree that E-synch is
indeed a mere convention or definition - given entirely by man,
and not by nature (or experiment).

You are also incorrect regarding _predicting_ light's one-way
speed whilst at the same time _giving the result in advance_
(via some definition of synchronization).

For example, as I have already mentioned, if one forces clocks
(via Einstein's definition) to obtain one-way invariance, then,
by George, one will obtain one-way invariance. This does NOT
involve a prediction, as should be obvious, and no other such
scenario can involve a prediction, contrary to your above.

Here again is my specific complaint about special relativity:
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
It makes exactly zero physical predictions which are nontrivial,
noncircular and/or correct, or so it is not a scientific theory.
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

And here is a related complaint about SR:
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Einstein based SR on his firm belief that it pertained to and
directly addressed a LAW of physics, namely, the one-way light
speed "law"; however, as we have seen, there can be no natural
(or experimental) law in the one-way case because the result
will always be given in advance via some definition of clock
synchronization, which of course CONTROLS light's one-way speed
in the specific case of two same-frame (non-moving) clocks, the
ONLY case to which SR could possibly pertain because all others
involve possible intrinsic clock slowing due to different clock
speeds through space, with both of these concepts lying _outside_
of SR, as was explained above.
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Finally, note that since there is no possible LAW in the one-way,
two-same-frame clock light speed case, there can be no scientific
hypothesis, guess, hunch, prediction, supposition, or assumption
in this case, so there can be no scientific theory, so SR is not
a scientific theory. (It is nothing at all but an incorrect
definition of clock "synchronization," which does not correctly
synchronize clocks in any frame but one.)

From: PD on

Harry wrote:
> "PD" <pdraper(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Harry wrote:
> > > "PD" <pdraper(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > also
> > things

> > be
> > simultaneous

> > disagreement
> > >
> > > That is not a problem for SRT, just as it doesn't matter for
> > Newtonian
> > > mechanics not to know which observer is moving, and as it doesn't
> > matter for
> > > electronics not to know which conductor is at zero potential. One
may
> > just
> > > assume whatever and it works.
> >
> > There is a difference. In the other cases that you mentioned, the
> > physical laws are quite explicit in depending not on the absolute
scale
> > of those quantities but on the *difference* only. Acceleration
(which
> > enters into the dynamics) does not depend on the velocity of the
> > reference frame; potential *difference* does not depend on which
point
> > is chosen to be zero. In the case of simultaneity, critics of SR
often
> > assert that simultaneity MUST be relied on as an absolute property.
The
> > fact is, as SR points out, there is nothing in physical law that
> > demands simultaneity being an absolute property.
>
> The physical laws describe relative measures of speed and potential.
Which
> does not prevent models in which they are absolute, but measured
relatively.
> Your above "difficulty" only exist for certain philosophers, because
of
> their personal taste.

It is not so much a matter of taste as it is of lack of necessity. A
model that invokes absolute quantities but makes no use of them is
needlessly complicated. Moreover, invoking absolute quantities obscures
physical insight that comes from seeing that it is only the relative
quantities that are physically important. After all, relativity is
called relativity precisely because the power and insight that the
relative nature of these quantities provides.

> > A,
> > one
> > simultaneous
> > observers
absolute

> > > Exactly,

> > > Certainly not, that's an erroneous argument. Why on earth would
one
> > think
> > > that whatever exist must be measurable in principle, or worse,
that
> > > it must be measurable with our existing instruments?
> >
> > I don't think anyone worries too much about whether it is
measurable
> > with existing instruments. Certainly, Einstein proposed some
> > measurements to test the theory that involved experimental
apparatus
> > not yet developed, but he DID suggest some ways to test it *in
> > principle*.
>
> My objection was against your argument that all that exist must be
> measurable by us, as if we are gods who can measure all that exists.

Then allow me to amend to say that all we can *model* must be
measurable by us, and what we can model is the business of physics.

> > SR does NOT say that simultaneity is in principle a
> > verifiable property, but we don't have the instruments to detect it
> > yet.
> >
> > As to whether something can exist but be unmeasurable in principle,
> > even indirectly, this becomes a subject of metaphysics, not
physics.

> Exactly. You made a metaphysical claim about physics, with which I
> disagreed.
>
> > Personally, I feel strongly that physics makes a representation of
the
> > universe, but that there are limitations to our representation that
> > have to do with semantics (particle-wave duality, for example) or
> > intractibility (perturbation theory and renormalization), for
example.
> > To that extent, there may well be a reality that is outside our
> > understanding even in principle, but that lies outside physics.
> > Personally, I also have faith (and I mean that term) that nature
does
> > not exhibit things that are inherently unmeasurable or
undetectable.

> > For a long time, folks were sure that neutrinos were massless and
> > left-handed. As such, right-handed neutrinos would interact with
> > *nothing* in the universe and would, by their very nature, be
> > undetectable and would have no implications for the rest of
reality. So
> > it was perhaps interesting to ask the question whether right-handed
> > neutrinos could exist *anyway*. The dominant thinking has been, of
> > course they *could*, but they are not part of physics. For
physicists,
> > massless, right-handed neutrinos simply do not exist. This is
clearly
> > based on a faith that the universe does not feel compelled to
produce
> > "useless" particles.
>
> Hmm, that is not physics but philosophy. Physics is neutral about
such
> issues - and physicists the same.

Perhaps you'd like to think so (or perhaps not -- see below).

> > There are some ether theories that are identical in saying that the
> > ether is present but it is by nature completely undetectable, even
in
> > principle. Such theories are generally rejected on the principle of
> > simplicity. Given two experimentally indistinguishable models A and
B,
> > where B involves something that A doesn't but whose existence
cannot be
> > verified, the choice is usually A, and that's a defendable choice.
>
> OK, we agree that that is an optionally choice. OTOH, what do you
think of
> neutrinos? Likely a theory can be divised in which they don't exist,
but
> instead we just introduce a correction factor in calculations. IMO,
Okham's
> razor is easily misapplied.

If it were the case that the only way to detect neutrinos is through a
"remnant" or a ghost of missing energy and spin -- perhaps. But perhaps
you did not know that we routinely detect collisions of neutrinos with
matter, and can attribute the colliding particle to nothing else but a
neutrino.

> > Similarly here, if absolute simultaneity is a property of two
events
> > but is completely and by nature undetectable, even in principle,
then
> > for the purpose of physics, absolute simultaneity is not a needed
> > concept.
>
> Right - except maybe if physics is based on the premise that its
purpose is
> to investigate nature by observations, and not just observations.
> AFAIK, such used to be its purpose.

Ah, but I thought you said above that physics had to be neutral about
things which it could not observe. Here you seem to be saying that
physics is about saying something definite about things which it cannot
observe. Which is it?

PD

From: Daryl McCullough on
cadwgan_gedrych(a)yahoo.com says...

>Foul.
>Slowly transported clocks are not E-synched. (His
>definition does not mention moving clocks, and uses
>light signals.)

Why is it a *foul*? E-synch is a convention. The fact
that E-synch produces the same result as slow clock
transport is a *prediction* of relativity theory.

>Wrong. SR does not pertain to actual or physical clock slowing,
>and yet that is what would happen during clock transport.

SR pertains to *all* physical processes. The physical content
of SR is the claim that all physical laws are invariant under
the Lorentz transformations.

>As I said, SR makes zero predictions about intrinsic
>clock rhythms.

As I said, that's false. The relativity principle, together
with Einstein's theory, allows you to make definite predictions
about how a clock behaves when travelling an accelerated
path.

If you have some cyclic, self-contained system (such as
a vibrating crystal, or a mass oscillating on a spring),
you can measure the period in your frame. Call that T.
Now you set the system in motion at some speed v. The
relativity principle tells you that, as measured in the
new rest frame, the period will again be T. Einstein's
theory predicts that the period will be T/gamma as
measured in the original frame (using E-synched clocks).

That is a prediction of relativity theory.

>Here again is my specific complaint about special relativity:
>````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
>It makes exactly zero physical predictions which are nontrivial,
>noncircular and/or correct, or so it is not a scientific theory.

Yes, but your specific complaint is *false*. I gave you
a specific prediction of relativity theory.

Your complaint really seems to be that you cannot *derive*
the prediction from Einstein-style thought experiments involving
light signals. That is true. But Einstein only used those thought
experiments to derive the Lorentz transformations. The physical
content of relativity is not simply the Lorentz transformations,
it the Lorentz transformations, together with the *physical*
hypothesis that the laws of physics are invariant under the
Lorentz transformations (that includes the assumption of
the invariance of the vaccuum under Lorentz transformations).

If you are defining SR to be only the mathematical derivation,
then yes, it isn't a physical theory, it's mathematics. But what
physicists mean by SR is more than that. What physicists mean
by SR certainly makes physical predictions---the elapsed time
on a moving clock is an example.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: PD on

cadwgan_gedrych(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> PD wrote:
> > cadwgan_gedrych(a)yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > > Here is an example of its blatant circularity/triviality:
> > >
> > > SR sez:
> > > "If we manually force all clocks in all frames to
> > > obtain the same one-way light speed, then, by George,
> > > all clocks in all frames will obtain the same one-way
> > > light speed."
> > >
> > > Can you, even your blinded eyes, see the silly circularity?
> >
> > You confuse a conclusion with an assumption. Read the 1905 paper.
It
> > states at the outset that the constancy of the speed of light is an
> > *assumption* of the theory, not a conclusion of the theory.
>
> See my response to Daryl. (It cannot be an assumption because it is
> given up front via definition.)

Reread the paper. He cites it as a "postulate". A postulate is
something that is assumed to be true, not something that is proven to
be true.

> > Now, if you have any experimental evidence that the speed of
> > light is NOT constant for all inertial frames, then let's have
> > that, because that would be a truly interesting result (and it
> > would immediately dispense with a whole bunch of physics,
> > including SR, GR, the Dirac equation, quantum field theory,
> > QED, QCD, the standard model Lagrangian, nuclear physics, etc.).
> >
> > PD
>
> (The proper word is "invariant," not "constant." These things matter
> when discussing the in's and out's of physics.)

Except in the case of c, the number is both an invariant AND a
constant.
Invariant: independent of inertial frame of reference
Constant: independent of any experimental measurement; single-valued

Would you like to contest those physical definitions?

> The only "physics" that one-way invariance would "blow away" would
> be SR.
>
> And, ironically, Einstein himself told us exactly how to have
> one-way variance. In his little popular book "Relativity," he
> stated mathematically that if the assumed-to-be-absolutely-
> synchronous clock of classical physics were used, then light's
> one-way speed would be c +/- v in all frames.

Which conflicts with observation, which is why the synchronous clock of
classical physics is a poor assumption.

> But I do not need such clocks to answer your challenge to
> provide experimental evidence that the speed of light is NOT
> constant [sic] for all inertial frames because all I need is
> the following simple experiment:
>
> Let two observers meet in passing as a light ray approaches
> them.
>
> (Oa = Observer A and Ob = Observer B)
>
> ........Oa
> ......................................<~~~~~~~~~light ray
> ........Ob
>
> When the two observers briefly meet, they know that the light
> ray's tip is equidistant from them because they are at a single
> point in space, and the ray's tip is also at one point in space.
> We can qualitatively label this distance "X".
>
> After the observers separate, the light ray will reach one of
> them, as shown below:
>
> ...Oa
> ............<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~light ray
> ...........Ob
>
> Since the tip of the light ray cannot be in two places at once,
> the observers will see it sequentially at absolutely different
> times. (Here is a down-to-earth example: If I see the real you
> in both Texas and New York, then this proves that I saw you at
> absolutely different times because you cannot be in two places
> at once.)
>
> We can - again purely qualitatively - label the ray's absolutely
> different arrival times "Ta" and "Tb." (All we care about here
> is the fact that these times are absolutely different.)
>
> The observers can now compare one-way light speeds. (Having no
> rulers or clocks, they must do this qualitatively.) Here are
> their extremely simple results:
>
> Light's speed wrt Oa = X/Ta
>
> Light's speed wrt Ob = X/Tb

And they know their clocks are synchronized with respect to each other
how?

PD

From: Daryl McCullough on
cadwgan_gedrych(a)yahoo.com says...

>> You confuse a conclusion with an assumption. Read the 1905 paper. It
>> states at the outset that the constancy of the speed of light is an
>> *assumption* of the theory, not a conclusion of the theory.
>
>See my response to Daryl. (It cannot be an assumption because it is
>given up front via definition.)

I'm not sure whether you are making a substantive argument,
or a terminological one. Consider the following experiment:

Take two identical atomic clocks. Take them out into
outer space far from atmosphere, far from any source
of gravity. Let one clock remain at rest in an inertial
frame. Put the second clock on a high speed rocket, and
take it on a outward-bound trip at speed v for a year,
and then back at speed v. After the two clocks are
reunited, compare the elapsed times on the two clocks.
Let T1 be the elapsed time on the first clock, and let
T2 be the elapsed time on the second clock.

If I predict that T2/T1 = square-root(1-(v/c)^2), that seems
like a falsifiable prediction to me. You seem to be claiming
that such a prediction isn't *really* a prediction of SR. Okay,
if you want to say that, go ahead. It's not important what you
call it.

The fact is that there is a collection of well-understood,
falsifiable predictions that physicists think of as consequences
of SR. Call the rules for making these predictions "Theory X".
You want to say that Theory X is not SR. Okay, who cares what
you call it? Do you agree that Theory X makes falsifiable
predictions? Do you agree that my prediction about the results
of comparing elapsed times on atomic clocks is a falsifiable
prediction of Theory X?

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY