From: cadwgan_gedrych on
From: "" <cadwgan_gedrych(a)yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Subject: Re: Joan-Claude van Dirk Helps to Trivialize Special
Relativity
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 07:13:29 -0800

> > ... it is impossible for two clocks to both physically run
> > slower than each other ....
>
> Sure it is.

Thanks for agreeing. But why did you go on to argue?

> > (or for two twins to both be younger than each other).
>
> That's not the same thing.
> Prejudicial mental block at work.
>
> Note that "younger than" is a comparison made locally and locally
only.
> "Slower than" is a not necessarily a comparison made locally.

In the part of my post which you cowardly snipped, I showed
clearly that my clock comparison was LOCAL.

Given this, I should not reply to the rest of you silly post,
but I will because one of my overall goals here is to help
folks to understand special relativity.

> There is no such thing as a "physical rod length". Rod length is
> strictly the result of an observer-dependent procedure.

Hog wash. Every rod and all other physical objects have a given
number of atoms which have definite physical shapes, and these
two things determine an object's physical length.

You were talking about measured rod length; I was talking about
the atomic and intrinsic length. There is a world of difference
between the two. Try to unconfuse yourself if you can.

> "Physical clock rhythms", "physical rod lengths", and "physical
> masses" are poorly defined terms.
>
> Let's start with length. Define the length of a rod, or at least how
> you would find it.

I defined physical rod length above. And here is how you can correctly
measure it:

In an inertial frame, place clocks at points (0,0,0) and (100,0,0).
At point (50,0,0), simultaneously send out two inertial objects
whose speeds wrt the clock frame are equal. (Note that equality
does not require quantification, but only qualitative comparison.)
(Also note that two things which are at the same point can be
started absolutely simultaneously.) Given this, the two clocks
must be started absolutely simultaneously by the objects. Then
we can use the clocks to measure light's passing speed. This,
in turn, will tell us how fast we are moving in relation to
light. For example, we could be moving at 60% light speed. If so,
then a standard ruler on board the clock frame will be physically
contracted by 20% so that its actual, physical, atomic, intrinsic
length is not 1 unit, but is .8 unit.

Why don't you tell us how SR can correctly measure the length of
even a rod that is at rest wrt our frame?

In fact, why don't you tell us how SR can even correctly measure
the one-way, two-clock speed of anything?

In order to do that, here are the hurdles which SR must overcome:

[1] SR must prove that its clocks are correctly synchronized.
[2] SR must prove that its clocks are not physically slowed.
[3] SR must prove that its rulers are not physically contracted.

Be sure to let us all know when you have your answer.
I will not be holding my breath.

And here is a simple definition of "physical clock rhythm":
Given: A simple sort of atomic clock where exactly one
atomic transition or vibration = 1 time unit. Given this,
it is perfectly clear that if two clocks register different
numbers of atomic vibrations between the same two events,
we know that the clocks' intrinsic rhythms differ. Given
this, it is easy to see that no outside, passing frame(s)
can control or have any effect upon a clock's intrinsic
atomic rhythm. That is, a clock's intrinsic rhythm is
absolute, not relative. A given clock will record one and
only one time between any two given events, and this unique
time is in no way dependent upon the point of view of observers
in some passing frame or frames.

Got it?

[snip]

? > This asynchronousness is easily proved, as follows:
> > Given two events, we know that they must physically occur
> > either absolutely simultaneously or not,
>
> And how do you know that? This is not only not obvious, but also
> incorrect.

Hogwash, again.
As you should know, events are observer-independent, and events
must occur either truly simultaneously or not. If you believe
otherwise, then tell us the alternative. Again, you are talking
about measuring things (events), not the things themselves.

> Define simultaneity and how you would determine whether two
> things are simultaneous.

This was done above, but here is another example:
It is a simple fact that clocks can have absolutely different
velocities. (Indeed, only clocks which are always relatively at
rest will have absolutely identical velocities.) In other words,
clocks can move differently through space. Let's assume, as
Einstein seems to do, that clocks moving at absolutely different
speeds do not have absolutely different intrinsic rhythms. Now,
we can start two touching clocks on zero so that they are now
absolutely synchronous (by simple direct observation and per all
observers in all frames). We now slowly move one clock to a
different location, so that acceleration is negligible. The
clocks, according to our Einsteinian-based assumption, should
still be absolutely synchronous. Thus, we can use the clocks
to determine whether two things are simultaneous.

Got it?

> > but Einstein's
> > clocks in various frames will say that two given events
> > occurred BOTH simultaneously and nonsimultaneously, which,
> > as we just noted, is simply physically impossible, and, a
> > picture of this situation quickly shows that Einstein's
> > clocks cannot be correctly synchronized in any frame but
> > one:
> >
> > left clock right clock
> > [3]-------Frame A-------[3]
> > E1 E2
> > [3]-------Frame B-------[4]
> > left clock right clock
> >
> > If events E1 and E2 happened to occur absolutely simultaneously,
>
> That's a big IF. No two events EVER happen *absolutely*
simultaneously.
> Don't misunderstand me. I'm not implying this is a matter of
> imprecision. Events can be simultaneous, but that simultaneity is not
> absolute, true, physical, or inherent.

You completely missed the point, as usual.
It matters not how the events occurred. All that matters
is the fact that they cannot occur in more than one way. If you
foolishly believe otherwise, then explain.

Since events, as I noted above, are observer-independent (as even
Einstein would admit), the way they occur is also observer-
independent. However, in SR, as I noted, observers in different
frames will find different occurrence orders and times for the
SAME two events. This -- see my picture above -- proves that
Einstein's clocks cannot be related the same in any two frames.

Therefore, even if one of Einstein's frames by sheer accident
has absolutely synchronous clocks, no other Einsteinian frame
can have absolutely synchronous clocks.

> > then only one Einsteinian frame's clocks will say this, but all
> > other such frames' clocks will say that the events occurred
> > nonsimultaneously; so, as the picture shows, these other frames'
> > clocks will be absolutely asynchronous.
> >
> > Having found the immediate answer to the question which Dirk
> > claimed that no one could answer, we can easily go even further,
> > and answer the question Why are Einstein's clocks asynchronous?
> >
> > It's because Einstein ignores the differences in frame velocities
> > when he uses light signals to "synchronize" his clocks. For
> > example, whereas Frame A may move toward a given light signal,
> > Frame B may move away from said signal, so the clocks in these
> > two frames cannot possibly be set the same way using said signal
> > as long as one uses Einstein's definition of "synchronization,"
>
> You haven't learned how Einstein insists synchronization be done.
> Synchronizing clocks involves clocks, sources and receivers that are
> all stationary, not moving, in that frame.

You don't understand the basic facts about light. Since light is
source-independent, ONE light signal can be used to E-synch the
clocks of ALL frames.

> Summarizing your faulty assumptions:
> 1. That duration is a physical, absolute, inherent property.

Apparently, you have not heard of proper time. This is an
absolute (or observer-independent) time. Apparently, you
are not aware that during your lifetime, you will have a
single number of heartbeats. This single number is the
absolute (or observer-independent) duration of your life.
Also, refer to my definition of intrinsic or absolute
clock time, given above.

> 2. That length is a physical, absolute, inherent property.

See my above.

> 3. That simultaneity is a physical, absolute, inherent property.

See my above.

From: PD on
Harry wrote:
> "PD" <pdraper(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> SNIP
>
> > > This asynchronousness is easily proved, as follows:
> > > Given two events, we know that they must physically occur
> > > either absolutely simultaneously or not,
> >
> > And how do you know that? This is not only not obvious, but also
> > incorrect.
> > Define simultaneity and how you would determine whether two things
are
> > simultaneous.
>
> It depends on one's starting assumptions.
> In science (natural philosophy) the starting assumption used to be
that one
> single observervation independent reality exists.
> Based on that assumption, two events can only be either simultaneous
*or*
> not simultaneous.

The difficulty with this, SR holds, is:
1. Given two observers in relative motion, there will be a disagreement
as to whether two events are simultaneous or not. There is no physical
way to determine which observer is correct.
2. Given a set of observers all in relative motion and three events A,
B, C, it will be the case that A and B will be simultaneous to only one
observer among the set of observers, and B and C will be simultaneous
to only one observer among the set observers, and these two observers
will not necessarily be the same observer. The association of
simultaneity with the observer-independent reality (i.e. absolute
simultaneity) would imply that one of these choices is correct, which
would mean there would have to be a way to physically distinguish that
choice as being correct (and the other incorrect).
3. No test has been able to distinguish which choice is correct.

PD

From: cadwgan_gedrych on
Dirk Van de moortel wrote:
> <cadwgan_gedrych(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
[snip]

> > This proves that relativity's time dilation cannot pertain
> > to physical clock rhythms (or to any other processes
> > involving physical time or physical aging)

> Time dilation pertains to physical measurements.
> Physics pertains to physical measurements.
> But we told you this before.

The 3-clock "paradox" does not pertain to mere
measurements. Its two directly-compared clocks
show different times after being synchronous.

But of course, this is why you cowardly snipped
my 3-clock "paradox" example.

You can run, but you can't hide, from the truth.

> > because it is impossible for two clocks to both
> > physically run slower than each other (or for two
> > twins to both be younger than each other).

> When we look at each other through gaps between our
> fingers, we each find that the other one is smaller. That
> doesn't say anything about our physical lengths. It says
> something about the way we measured something.
> But we told you this before.

I repeat:

The 3-clock "paradox" does not pertain to mere
measurements. Its two directly-compared clocks
show different times after being synchronous.

But of course, this is why you cowardly snipped
my 3-clock "paradox" example.

You can run, but you can't hide, from the truth.

> The twin sitation in the so-called paradox is not symmetric.

That is exactly why I used the NO-accelerations 3-clock case.
(It eliminates the asymmetry of only one twin accelerating.)

From: Harry on

> Harry wrote:
> > "PD" <pdraper(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > SNIP

> > > And how do you know that? This is not only not obvious, but also
> > > incorrect.
> > > Define simultaneity and how you would determine whether two things
> are
> > > simultaneous.
> >
> > It depends on one's starting assumptions.
> > In science (natural philosophy) the starting assumption used to be
> that one
> > single observervation independent reality exists.
> > Based on that assumption, two events can only be either simultaneous
> *or*
> > not simultaneous.
>
> The difficulty with this, SR holds, is:
> 1. Given two observers in relative motion, there will be a disagreement
> as to whether two events are simultaneous or not. There is no physical
> way to determine which observer is correct.

That is not a problem for SRT, just as it doesn't matter for Newtonian
mechanics not to know which observer is moving, and as it doesn't matter for
electronics not to know which conductor is at zero potential. One may just
assume whatever and it works.

> 2. Given a set of observers all in relative motion and three events A,
> B, C, it will be the case that A and B will be simultaneous to only one
> observer among the set of observers, and B and C will be simultaneous
> to only one observer among the set observers, and these two observers
> will not necessarily be the same observer. The association of
> simultaneity with the observer-independent reality (i.e. absolute
> simultaneity) would imply that one of these choices is correct,

Exactly,

> which
> would mean there would have to be a way to physically distinguish that
> choice as being correct (and the other incorrect).

Certainly not, that's an erroneous argument. Why on earth would one think
that whatever exist must be measurable in principle, or worse, that it must
be measurable with our existing instruments?

> 3. No test has been able to distinguish which choice is correct.

Correct, AFAIK.

From: PD on
Harry wrote:
> "PD" <pdraper(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Harry wrote:
> > > "PD" <pdraper(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > >
> > > SNIP

> > are
> > >
> > > It depends on one's starting assumptions.
> > > In science (natural philosophy) the starting assumption used to
be
> > that one
> > > single observervation independent reality exists.
> > > Based on that assumption, two events can only be either
simultaneous
> > *or*
> > > not simultaneous.
> >
> > The difficulty with this, SR holds, is:
> > 1. Given two observers in relative motion, there will be a
disagreement
> > as to whether two events are simultaneous or not. There is no
physical
> > way to determine which observer is correct.
>
> That is not a problem for SRT, just as it doesn't matter for
Newtonian
> mechanics not to know which observer is moving, and as it doesn't
matter for
> electronics not to know which conductor is at zero potential. One may
just
> assume whatever and it works.

There is a difference. In the other cases that you mentioned, the
physical laws are quite explicit in depending not on the absolute scale
of those quantities but on the *difference* only. Acceleration (which
enters into the dynamics) does not depend on the velocity of the
reference frame; potential *difference* does not depend on which point
is chosen to be zero. In the case of simultaneity, critics of SR often
assert that simultaneity MUST be relied on as an absolute property. The
fact is, as SR points out, there is nothing in physical law that
demands simultaneity being an absolute property.

> > 2. Given a set of observers all in relative motion and three events
A,
> > B, C, it will be the case that A and B will be simultaneous to only
one
> > observer among the set of observers, and B and C will be
simultaneous
> > to only one observer among the set observers, and these two
observers
> > will not necessarily be the same observer. The association of
> > simultaneity with the observer-independent reality (i.e. absolute
> > simultaneity) would imply that one of these choices is correct,
>
> Exactly,
>
> > which
> > would mean there would have to be a way to physically distinguish
that
> > choice as being correct (and the other incorrect).
>
> Certainly not, that's an erroneous argument. Why on earth would one
think
> that whatever exist must be measurable in principle, or worse, that
it must
> be measurable with our existing instruments?

I don't think anyone worries too much about whether it is measurable
with existing instruments. Certainly, Einstein proposed some
measurements to test the theory that involved experimental apparatus
not yet developed, but he DID suggest some ways to test it *in
principle*. SR does NOT say that simultaneity is in principle a
verifiable property, but we don't have the instruments to detect it
yet.

As to whether something can exist but be unmeasurable in principle,
even indirectly, this becomes a subject of metaphysics, not physics.
Personally, I feel strongly that physics makes a representation of the
universe, but that there are limitations to our representation that
have to do with semantics (particle-wave duality, for example) or
intractibility (perturbation theory and renormalization), for example.
To that extent, there may well be a reality that is outside our
understanding even in principle, but that lies outside physics.
Personally, I also have faith (and I mean that term) that nature does
not exhibit things that are inherently unmeasurable or undetectable.

For a long time, folks were sure that neutrinos were massless and
left-handed. As such, right-handed neutrinos would interact with
*nothing* in the universe and would, by their very nature, be
undetectable and would have no implications for the rest of reality. So
it was perhaps interesting to ask the question whether right-handed
neutrinos could exist *anyway*. The dominant thinking has been, of
course they *could*, but they are not part of physics. For physicists,
massless, right-handed neutrinos simply do not exist. This is clearly
based on a faith that the universe does not feel compelled to produce
"useless" particles.

There are some ether theories that are identical in saying that the
ether is present but it is by nature completely undetectable, even in
principle. Such theories are generally rejected on the principle of
simplicity. Given two experimentally indistinguishable models A and B,
where B involves something that A doesn't but whose existence cannot be
verified, the choice is usually A, and that's a defendable choice.

Similarly here, if absolute simultaneity is a property of two events
but is completely and by nature undetectable, even in principle, then
for the purpose of physics, absolute simultaneity is not a needed
concept.