From: Troy Piggins on
* Damn 35 F Rain - Staying Warm Inside Is Winning Today wrote :
>* Troy Piggins wrote :
>
> [---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 11 lines snipped |=---]
>> http://piggo.com/~troy/photos/2009/2009_10_23/Jupiter091023_1.jpg
>>
>> All up I'm pretty happy with it. Suspect the scope needs some
>> tweaking of the collimation which should give a sharper image.
>> Will have to try that next time, haven't done it before.
>
> Much depends too on "seeing" conditions. The atmospheric stability. Most
> times you just have to wait and hope for the best days. The very same
> perfectly collimated optics can provide a draw-dropping 3D-looking view of
> Saturn one day, and an irregular mushy blob the next. Look into the
> sharpening techniques that web-cam astrophotographers use, by combining
> details from many many frames to virtually look through the turbulent
> atmosphere, capturing and combining those bits of each image that are
> stable and sharp.

Yes, this image was stacked from around 2500 frames of an avi
file using Registax. Suspect that's the technique you're
referring to.

> You might also try stopping down the aperture of your telescope during bad
> seeing conditions. A larger aperture means that your telescope is trying to
> image through larger lower-frequency areas of atmospheric turbulence. If
> the turbulence that night is mostly of the lower-frequency variety it will
> help to filter it out. I keep a 6" mask handy for those times to put on my
> 16" scope. Apodizing masks also cure things on some days for planetary
> imaging.

How does one stop down the aperture of a fixed aperture scope?
The bare scope is f/10. With the 2.5x powermate it becomes an
equivalent f/25. I haven't heard of people using those masks
you're referring to. I'll look into it. Thanks.

--
Troy Piggins
From: Troy Piggins on
* Rich wrote :
> On Oct 23, 11:43 am, Troy Piggins <usenet-0...(a)piggo.com> wrote:
> [---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 14 lines snipped |=---]
>> tweaking of the collimation which should give a sharper image.
>> Will have to try that next time, haven't done it before.
>
> You need at least 25,000mm to really shoot Jupiter. Nice shot at
> 5000mm though.

Anthony Wesley, the guy who discovered the that most recent
impact scar on Jupiter, takes these sort of shots with an
effective focal length of around 9000mm.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=65884&d=1256210105

I'd be extremely happy if I can get anywhere near as good as
that. Have you ever tried to image with something of the sort of
focal lengths you're suggesting with back-yard amatuer gear? I'd
love to see examples.

--
Troy Piggins
From: Jeff R. on
Troy Piggins wrote:
> The astrophotography has been keeping me occupied lately. This
> is my first attempt at planetary imaging. Lots to learn, I know.
> Don't see much astrophotography here so thought I'd share.
>
> Taken with a 8" f/10 scope with a 2.5x powermate (like a
> teleconvertor) giving it an equivalent focal length of around
> 5000mm. Camera was a DBK21 CCD camera.
>
> The dark spot is the shadow of one of the moons, and you can just
> make out the Great Red Spot at the top.
>
> http://piggo.com/~troy/photos/2009/2009_10_23/Jupiter091023_1.jpg
>
> All up I'm pretty happy with it. Suspect the scope needs some
> tweaking of the collimation which should give a sharper image.
> Will have to try that next time, haven't done it before.Nice one, Troy.

Beats my webcam-through-ETX attempt (of ten years ago):
http://faxmentis.org/html/jpg/jupiter-7-11-99.jpg

Since yours is 2500 stacked images, how come the moon is a dot, not a line?
:-)

--
Jeff R.

From: Troy Piggins on
* Jeff R. wrote :
> Troy Piggins wrote:
> [---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 11 lines snipped |=---]
>> http://piggo.com/~troy/photos/2009/2009_10_23/Jupiter091023_1.jpg
>>
>> All up I'm pretty happy with it. Suspect the scope needs some
>> tweaking of the collimation which should give a sharper image.
>> Will have to try that next time, haven't done it before.Nice one, Troy.
>
> Beats my webcam-through-ETX attempt (of ten years ago):
> http://faxmentis.org/html/jpg/jupiter-7-11-99.jpg

Still, not bad :)

> Since yours is 2500 stacked images, how come the moon is a dot, not a line?
>:-)

They were taken over 90 seconds ;) Not sure, but suspect even
that may have been too long. Maybe should have kept it down to
60 secs or so. Jupiter spins so fast you have to get in and get
out real quick, so you're using as fast a fps as you can get.
Some guys are shooting 45-60fps. The avi file size I took for
this was 1.5GB! Just to get a measly little 15kB image!

--
Troy Piggins
From: Jeff R. on
Troy Piggins wrote:
> * Jeff R. wrote :
>> Troy Piggins wrote:
>> [---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 11 lines snipped |=---]
>>> http://piggo.com/~troy/photos/2009/2009_10_23/Jupiter091023_1.jpg
>>>
>>> All up I'm pretty happy with it. Suspect the scope needs some
>>> tweaking of the collimation which should give a sharper image.
>>> Will have to try that next time, haven't done it before.Nice one,
>>> Troy.
>>
>> Beats my webcam-through-ETX attempt (of ten years ago):
>> http://faxmentis.org/html/jpg/jupiter-7-11-99.jpg
>
> Still, not bad :)
>
>> Since yours is 2500 stacked images, how come the moon is a dot, not
>> a line? :-)
>
> They were taken over 90 seconds ;) Not sure, but suspect even
> that may have been too long. Maybe should have kept it down to
> 60 secs or so. Jupiter spins so fast you have to get in and get
> out real quick, so you're using as fast a fps as you can get.
> Some guys are shooting 45-60fps. The avi file size I took for
> this was 1.5GB! Just to get a measly little 15kB image!

Cooled camera?
Hand or auto-guided?
Suburban location? Country?

(fun, idd'n it!)