From: eigenaut on
Hi folks,

I got kb979909 and kb979906 updates installed by registering the Windows
Script Host. To do this I ran the command

regsvr32.exe wshom.ocx

with Start > Run... Both kb979909 and kb979906 run VBScripts. On my
computer, both were failing with an error code of 1720 and the message

ActiveX component can't create object: 'wscript.shell' Line 23, Column 16

in the MSIxxxxx.log file. Registering Windows Script Host got the scripts
working. I re-ran the updates and both completed.

Best regards,
eigenaut

From: arnoldkrg on
Yes I did. Its not in the least helpful

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email about Microsoft® Windows® XP.

I am sorry to hear that you are unable to install .net framework updates on
your computer.

To help resolve your issue, I suggest you go through the number of ways you
can obtain technical information and support from our team.

A useful resource is the Knowledge Base on our website, where we have
published a large collection of articles and Frequently Asked Questions
(FAQs) about our products. You can access it by going to;

You can also go online and visit our Newsgroup to post your technical
question at the following website, or alternatively chat with one of our Most
Valuable Professionals (MVPs);

http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx

If you do not find the answer that you are looking for or wish to discuss
alternative support options, please call our Customer Services team on 0844
800 2400 . Our lines are open from 8.00am to 6.00pm, Monday to Friday,
excluding public holidays. These support options can also be viewed at;

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/services

Interested in knowing more about Windows® 7, please visit:

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/default.aspx

Many thanks for contacting us.

Kind regards,

HONOREEN FERNANDEZ

Customer Service Professional |Microsoft Customer Services

From: arnoldkrg on
I should add that 0844 numbers are charged quite heavily in the UK ...so not
exactly No Charge.

I also tried eigenaut's suggestion too . I get the same error message after
carrying out his suggested command and then trying to reinstall the update.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on

From: arnoldkrg on
I have now managed to install all 3 of these updates. I refer you to the
posts by Wiesshund at:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vistawu/thread/6e6faae4-83fc-4f8f-856d-5667dcb3143b

I went to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/default.aspx and searched
for each of the problematic KB numbers and downloaded the standalone updates
in turn. They each downloaded and installed succesfully so my PC is now up to
date.

The thing to note is that the standalone updates DO NOT contain Fix it 50123
packaged with them. Just the update executable. For example the download for
KB979909 for my XP Pro machine is NDP20SP2-KB979909-x86.exe.

But that still leaves me wondering why Fix it 50123 will not run on my
machine.