From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Is W2K SP4 loading OK now?

Has KB979683 been successfully installed yet?

Can you successfully run (Norton) LiveUpdate manually & repeatedly?

Your injudicious use of (IObit) Advanced Systemcare may have caused your
problems! If you ever think your Registry needs to be cleaned, repaired,
boosted, tuned-up, cured, tweaked, fixed, or optimized (it doesn't), read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.

From: Brett on
W2K is loading fine now because I haven't tried installing KB978683 again. I
looked at the whole clean boot deal and it scared the heck out of me to even
think about trying it. Since KB978683 is listed as important and not
critical and I'm the only person using this computer I've decided to just
leave it . Plus I will be getting a new computer in the next several months.
My Liveupdate works fine. I will take a look at your suggested reading.
Thank you for all your help.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
KB979683 is the most recent in a long series of Windows Kernel updates.
While most Kernel updates are not Critical updates, they're still
security-related Important updates (vs Optional updates).

The #1 cause of Kernel updates failing to install these days is a Trojan
W32/Alureon-variant rootkit infection (which cannot be detected by any
anti-virus or anti-spyware application nor by 99.9% of anti-rootkit
applications). The very distinct possiblity of such an infection should not
be taken lightly, Brett.

That being said, what result do you get after running the Fix It in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980966? (Ignore the title and/or references
to KB977165...unless KB977165 failed to install, too.)

From: Brett on
Okay I took your suggestion and ran the Fix It program. It said that my
computer appears to be compatible.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
OK. You can tell that to MS Support when you open your no-charge support
incident.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Latest Updates