From: Brett on
After I download these two updates and do the restart Windows won't load but
just does the off and on loop. I then uninstall them from Safe Mode and
everything works fine. I'm running windows 2000 (I know, I know, time to
upgrade but..)
From: MowGreen on
For KB978601, is * KB979309 * listed as installed in Add/Remove Programs ?
If yes, then uninstall it, and restart the system.
Install KB978601 first, restart if requested to, then install KB979309.

For KB979863, suggest you first try to configure the system to Clean boot:

How to perform clean-boot troubleshooting for Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281770

Once the system is in the clean boot state, then try to install
KB979863. If no joy, you can try the steps laid out here:

You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

OR, you can get *** no-charge ***support for getting BOTH Security
updates installed from Microsoft:

" How to obtain help and support for this security update

in the United States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
subsidiary. For more information about how to contact your local
Microsoft subsidiary for support issues with security updates, visit the
Microsoft International Support Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4

North American customers can also obtain instant access to unlimited
no-charge e-mail support or to unlimited individual chat support by
visiting the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=7552

For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
through your usual support contacts. "

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

From: Brett on
Excellent. Thank you so much. I did the first part and everything still
works. Interestingly, or maybe not, when I downlaoaded KB978601 alone it
also downloaded KB979309. I now just need to go read up on the clean boot
deal for KB979683

From: MowGreen on
Brett wrote:
> Excellent. Thank you so much. I did the first part and everything still
> works. Interestingly, or maybe not, when I downlaoaded KB978601 alone it
> also downloaded KB979309. I now just need to go read up on the clean boot
> deal for KB979683

You're mowst welcome. Glad that it worked or is working <w>.
It appears that KB978601 and KB979309, which *must both* be installed to
mitigate the vulnerability shown here:
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS10-019 - Critical
Vulnerabilities in Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution (981210)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms10-019.mspx

need to be installed in a specific order, eg. KB978601 needs to be
installed prior to the installation of KB979309.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for KB979683 <w>

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Brett wrote:
> Excellent. Thank you so much. I did the first part and everything still
> works. Interestingly, or maybe not, when I downlaoaded KB978601 alone it
> also downloaded KB979309. I now just need to go read up on the clean
> boot
> deal for KB979683
>
> "MowGreen" wrote:
>> For KB978601, is * KB979309 * listed as installed in Add/Remove Programs
>> ?
>> If yes, then uninstall it, and restart the system.
>> Install KB978601 first, restart if requested to, then install KB979309.
>>
>> For KB979863, suggest you first try to configure the system to Clean
>> boot:
>>
>> How to perform clean-boot troubleshooting for Windows 2000
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281770
>>
>> Once the system is in the clean boot state, then try to install
>> KB979863. If no joy, you can try the steps laid out here:
>>
>> You cannot install some updates or programs
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
>>
>> OR, you can get *** no-charge ***support for getting BOTH Security
>> updates installed from Microsoft:
>>
>> " How to obtain help and support for this security update

>> in the United States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
>> subsidiary. For more information about how to contact your local
>> Microsoft subsidiary for support issues with security updates, visit the
>> Microsoft International Support Web site:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4
>>
>> North American customers can also obtain instant access to unlimited
>> no-charge e-mail support or to unlimited individual chat support by
>> visiting the following Microsoft Web site:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=7552
>>
>> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
>> through your usual support contacts. "
>>

>> Brett wrote:
>>> After I download these two updates and do the restart Windows won't load
>>> but just does the off and on loop. I then uninstall them from Safe Mode
>>> and everything works fine. I'm running windows 2000 (I know, I know,
>>> time to upgrade but..)

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Latest Updates