From: Richard Webb on
On Sun 2038-Feb-21 01:48, JWald writes:
>>> I've tried all the ones mentioned so far and a few others but I
>>> always go back to a Sennheiser MD-421, the older ones, not the
>>> newer ones, and I like it set one click off of 'M'.
<snip>
>> I like the 421, older version as well. NO matter what kick
>> drum I can always get a usable kick sound with the SEnn.
<snip again>
> What do you consider to be *an older version* ? I might start
> shopping. Thanks.

I"d say back into the '80's, not sure when they switched, as I had a couple from back then, and bought one used from a
guy that was used.

THe newer one I bought from a dealer bck in '98 had a light
colored grill over the capsule instead of the black that my
older ones had.

IF you can hold your nose and use the google archives
there's a lot of discussion of old vs. new 421's in that
group a year or so back, and ways to tell which you've got.

Regards,
Richard
From: geoff on
Steve M wrote:
> "Jerry" wrote:
>> just curious about which kik mic everyone would recommend.
>>

> Audix D6
> EV RE 20
> Beyer M88
> Shure Beta 52
>
> Pretty much in that order of preference.

Audio Technica ATM25 (discontinued).

geoff

From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 21/02/2010 07:48, in article hlql0q027rr(a)enews2.newsguy.com, "JWald"
<wldj4(a)grics.net> wrote:

(...)

> What do you consider to be *an older version* ? I might start shopping.
> Thanks.

MD 421 U4/U5 are the older ones AFAIK, and MD 421-II the newer ones

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

From: Ty Ford on
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 01:48:56 -0500, JWald wrote
(in article <hlql0q027rr(a)enews2.newsguy.com>):

> "Richard Webb" <Richard.Webb.my.foot(a)116-901.ftn.wpusa.dynip.com> wrote in
> message news:ee0_201002210108(a)ftn.wpusa.dynip.com...
>> On Sat 2038-Feb-20 19:15, Audio1 writes:
>>> I've tried all the ones mentioned so far and a few others but I
>>> always go back to a Sennheiser MD-421, the older ones, not the
>>> newer ones, and I like it set one click off of 'M'.

> What do you consider to be *an older version* ? I might start shopping.
> Thanks.

The new ones are called 421-II. They sound very little like (and not as good
as) the original recipe 421.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

From: Ty Ford on
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:49:59 -0500, geoff wrote
(in article <Y8idnTZjCK5cABzWnZ2dnVY3goidnZ2d(a)giganews.com>):

> Steve M wrote:
>> "Jerry" wrote:
>>> just curious about which kik mic everyone would recommend.
>>>

>> Audix D6
>> EV RE 20
>> Beyer M88
>> Shure Beta 52
>>
>> Pretty much in that order of preference.
>
> Audio Technica ATM25 (discontinued).
>

> geoff

Audio Technica AE2500 twin element.

dynamic and condenser in one mic