From: David H. Lipman on
From: "RB" <NoMail(a)NoSpam>

>> Is this a Workgroup or Domain account ?

| Well I'm still learning terminology but what I have is a Linksys router
| (Wireless running TKIP security with a long alpha numeric key) .
| My cable modem connects to the linksys (so I assume I have NAT )
| and my one Desktop hardwire connects to the linksys and all of our
| laptops connect to the linksys (wireless). I have the broadcast off.
| I have all the computers configured to the same workgroup ( if that
| is what your are asking )

>> In a Domain account you have File Server Shares and access priveledges as well as NTFS
>> priveledges which will limit who gets access to what.

| Ugh well ok, I thinkg I have a workgroup but I would not know if I had a domain account
| or not ? (dummy). And if I did I would not know how to set the NTFS priveledges ?

| So if I put all my user accounts on a password it will keep me from logging onto a node
| from another node unless I give it the user acct password ?

Yes, it sounds like you have a workgroup. Very limited in scope. What you have is often
called a Small Office Home Office (SOHO) LAN.

The NAT Router will act as a simplistic FireWall and will help keep those on the Internet
from hacking into your LAN as well as keeping out Internet worms.

As for what you are doing on the SOHO LAN for sharing data, well that is more complex. It
all depends on what you are doing an how many nodes are on the SOHO LAN. Since you are a
Linksys Router, the maximum number of nodes is ~253.

--
Dave

From: RB on
>As for what you are doing on the SOHO LAN for sharing data, well that is
>more complex. It all depends on what you are doing an how many nodes are
>on the SOHO LAN. Since you are a Linksys Router, the maximum number of
>nodes is ~253.

Ok so a domain would mean purchasing server software OS (MS WindowsServer etc).
I surmise this is expensive but would have more professional abilities.

As far a my Lan, I have a total ( if all active ) of 5 possible nodes. They all go through
the NAT linksys. I am confused on my reading though, if I go through a NAT am I still
considered Peer to Peer ?
Anyhow I only need to share certain folders on various nodes (not the whole drive) but
would like to make them password protected. If I set up passwords on user logon
would this do this ?

Is there another way to make passwords for node folders ?

I will have to give my laptop user acct Admin priveledges or my broadcom wireless
driver will freeze the unit in a limited access account.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "RB" <NoMail(a)NoSpam>

>>As for what you are doing on the SOHO LAN for sharing data, well that is
>>more complex. It all depends on what you are doing an how many nodes are
>>on the SOHO LAN. Since you are a Linksys Router, the maximum number of
>>nodes is ~253.

| Ok so a domain would mean purchasing server software OS (MS WindowsServer etc).
| I surmise this is expensive but would have more professional abilities.

| As far a my Lan, I have a total ( if all active ) of 5 possible nodes. They all go
| through
| the NAT linksys. I am confused on my reading though, if I go through a NAT am I still
| considered Peer to Peer ?
| Anyhow I only need to share certain folders on various nodes (not the whole drive) but
| would like to make them password protected. If I set up passwords on user logon
| would this do this ?

| Is there another way to make passwords for node folders ?

| I will have to give my laptop user acct Admin priveledges or my broadcom wireless
| driver will freeze the unit in a limited access account.

NAT Router means it does Network Address Translation. Routing betwen subnet 192.168.1.x
to the WAN address your Cable Internet provider,road Runner, gives you.

As you get more complex, you need a server. Microsoft has SBS. Peer-to-Peer (aka; P2P)
means that all the LAN nodes acts as "peers" to each other. P2P doesn't have anything
more than either Read and Write or Read Only capabilities. A server provides
restrictions.

--
Dave