From: mathedman on
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 23:24:33 -0800, cover
<coverlandNOSPAM914(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm looking at purchasing a Gateway Laptop from Staples but thought I
>would throw it out for discussion here to see if anyone knows of
>better buys or has had trouble with Gateway Laptops.
>
>Am looking at a Gateway notebook w/AMD Athlon 64 processor 3400+
>w/512M DDR ram, 80GB HDD, DVD+-RW dual layer, 15.4 high definition
>WXGA display, XP Media Center Edition Op Sys, 802.11g wireless sys, 6
>in 1 memory card reader for $849
>
>Would very much appreciate any feedback on this machine or other
>better deals anyone knows of... TIA

I don't know about Gateway but ACER gave me a rude awakening
with an apparent new trend.
$1800 machine with XP pro and lots more.
But NO hard copies of anything. I don't even know what all is loaded!
And if a wanted to dump the laptop I couldn't use any of the software
or the operating system.
If this is Microsofts (or others) new thing we'll never see software
for which we purchased a license. THis is sh**ty!!!
From: chrisv on
mathedman(a)hotmail.com.CUT wrote:

> If this is Microsofts (or others) new thing we'll never see software
> for which we purchased a license. THis is sh**ty!!!

Don't blame Microsoft, blame Acer. Next time, don't buy from the majors like
Acer, Sony, Toshiba, HP/Compaq, etc.

From: Weatherlawyer on

cover wrote:

> Thank you... How about the XP Home versus XP Media Center Edition
> (haven't heard about XP Media Center Edition so don't know how it
> might stack up against XP Home). We're not really looking for this as
> a multi-media machine. Just a good mobil machine for homework and
> such and it looked like a good buy.

Watch out for a second hand docking station if you ever see one. I
gather that there is a weakness with the connection at the power lead
junction. You might want to get the family trained to unplug the cable
at the mains rather than the back of the machine.

I have no experience with them but recently heard of a problem about
that. Docking stations are very cheap second hand.

If it's for the family why not buy the real thing? You could fill your
house with some very good PCs at the same spec for that price. Get a
not so high spec Athlon with a good graphics card for an HTPC and find
freeware to run it.

Get a couple of second hand Athlon 1 or 1.5s for the lesser mortals and
a nice Barton for yourself. Buy them with virtually no hardware except
DVD ROMS and fit your own OEM drives later. You really only need 1 box
with a pair of DVD writers. One writer and one rewriter perhaps.

Open Office is working on a Symbian version and Opera is already on the
phone, so pocket portability for the whole family, is moments away.

From: cover on
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:51:13 +0545, "Rebecca"
<nospam(a)godlikebuthumble.com> wrote:

>Gateway is fine, AMD is not. Laptops don't like the heat of AMDs.
>
>Get XP Pro.

There's a good point. I'd forgotten about the heat issue with AMD
chips - thanks...

Why do you like XPpro for a laptop versus XPhome? I've got both on
two different boxes on my home network and have seemingly had less
issues with the XPhome box. I've always heard about the better
security features (+) with XPpro and I guess wonder, whether XPpro
would be a good choice for a laptop making it worth the extra bucks
getting into it.
From: Rebecca on
cover wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:51:13 +0545, "Rebecca"
> <nospam(a)godlikebuthumble.com> wrote:
>

>> Gateway is fine, AMD is not. Laptops don't like the heat of AMDs.
>>
>> Get XP Pro.
>>

> There's a good point. I'd forgotten about the heat issue with AMD
> chips - thanks...
>
> Why do you like XPpro for a laptop versus XPhome? I've got both on
> two different boxes on my home network and have seemingly had less
> issues with the XPhome box. I've always heard about the better
> security features (+) with XPpro and I guess wonder, whether XPpro
> would be a good choice for a laptop making it worth the extra bucks
> getting into it.

If problems arise, the tools of Pro are much better than Home. In the OEM
versions, the cost difference is quite small.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Resource Conflict!!!
Next: Bad Pool Header