From: Phil Weldon on

http://brock.paramagnus.com/2006/10/another-windows-errorstop-0x000000ed.html
| It fixes bad sectors/volum.
| I say while, because it was very slow to boot after error checking, 20
| minuts or more, heavy HD activity, than a window massage poped up "page
| file is missing go to control panel to set it up" or some thing like that.
| Changed Page file/ vetiual memory managment to "auto" and every thing
| got screwed up again, blue screen back at reboot.
| So, I'm runnining Chkdsk /r again. Seems it's going over 50% now, but
| very slow.
| At very first Chkdsk /r, it only went to 50%, stopped and said Volume
| has one or more errors.
| Hope fully WinXP boots up better now and I leave what ever vertual
| memory size window puts in.
| First it was min 650 Meg max 1300? Meg.
| Get back later!
_____

Your hard drive is failing, and needs to be replaced as soon as possible,
before you lose the entire contents!
Also, be very careful about downloading any operating system files directly
from an unknown source, and relying on a blog for information. You are
playing with the future of your data.

Phil Weldon

"Protagonist" <szaki10(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
| Phil Weldon wrote:
| > 'David H. Lipman' wrote:
| > | Good Question Phil.
| > |
| > | Remove the one or two screws from the laptop that holds the hard disk
bay
| > and one can easily
| > | see the manufacturer.
| > |
| > | I wouldn't say contacting HP Support is the "only way to go.
| > | I had a Dell Latitude with a similar problem using an IBM TravelStar
hard
| > disk.
| > | I used the IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and it found and corrected
bad
| > sectors and the
| > | Laptop was again bootable.
| > _____
| >
| > I'd still recommend HP support and the possibility of in warranty repair
| > before removing the hard drive to obtain the manufacturer name. HP
should
| > have a record of all the components used to build the laptop in
question,
| > based on the serial number.
| >
| > Of course, then the question for the original poster becomes what to do
if
| > the drive warrants replacing; how to back up? I am not familiar with HP
| > model numbers, so I don't know how old an HP 5500 is likely to be, and
the
| > likely warranty status.
| >
| > Phil Weldon
| >

| > "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
| > | From: "Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed(a)example.com>
| > |
| > |
| > ||
| > poster
| > manufacturer
| > ||
| > ||
| > |
| > | Good Question Phil.
| > |
| > | Remove the one or two screws from the laptop that holds the hard disk
bay
| > and one can easily
| > | see the manufacturer.
| > |
| > | I wouldn't say contacting HP Support is the "only way to go.
| > | I had a Dell Latitude with a similar problem using an IBM TravelStar
hard
| > disk.
| > | I used the IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and it found and corrected
bad
| > sectors and the
| > | Laptop was again bootable.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Dave
| > | http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
| > | http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
| > |
| > |

From: - Bobb - on
and by choosing /r you're letting it "repair" whatever might not be 100%
good. If any of the data ( one word in a 100mb document for example) is
corrupted you MIGHT lose the whole document. Or you may end up with 80%
of the disk being flagged as BAD. I haven't reread eveything here, but
if this is an option - go to computer store ( or online) and buy an
adapter to allow you to put YOUR disk into a desktop PC. (It's not that
tough to do) and copy any of YOUR data to the "other disk drive in the
desktop". That way you will have all of YOUR data. The windows tough is
replaceable but yours may not be.

From: Protagonist on
Phil Weldon wrote:
> [...]
> | > |

> | Thx Guys, got WinXP boot up for a while. Simple!
> | Using recovery boot disk, than Chkdsk /r.
> |
> http://brock.paramagnus.com/2006/10/another-windows-errorstop-0x000000ed.html
> | It fixes bad sectors/volum.
> | I say while, because it was very slow to boot after error checking, 20
> | minuts or more, heavy HD activity, than a window massage poped up "page
> | file is missing go to control panel to set it up" or some thing like that.
> | Changed Page file/ vetiual memory managment to "auto" and every thing
> | got screwed up again, blue screen back at reboot.
> | So, I'm runnining Chkdsk /r again. Seems it's going over 50% now, but
> | very slow.
> | At very first Chkdsk /r, it only went to 50%, stopped and said Volume
> | has one or more errors.
> | Hope fully WinXP boots up better now and I leave what ever vertual

You worry too much!
So far, all the advice you gave me, is like from a 5 year.
Why do you think my HD is failing?
Julius
From: Protagonist on
- Bobb - wrote:
> and by choosing /r you're letting it "repair" whatever might not be 100%
> good. If any of the data ( one word in a 100mb document for example) is
> corrupted you MIGHT lose the whole document. Or you may end up with 80%
> of the disk being flagged as BAD. I haven't reread eveything here, but
> if this is an option - go to computer store ( or online) and buy an
> adapter to allow you to put YOUR disk into a desktop PC. (It's not that
> tough to do) and copy any of YOUR data to the "other disk drive in the
> desktop". That way you will have all of YOUR data. The windows tough is
> replaceable but yours may not be.

Well, Chkdsk /r got my WinXP back, up and running, even if it's running
slow.
Seems all the files are OK, WinXP may be corrapted some what. Reporting
pagefile problems.
I'll back up from the Laptop what I need, I have an external USB HD
drive, than re-install WinXP with the HP repair disks, came with my Laptop.
Should work.
Julius

From: - Bobb - on
comment inline:

>- Bobb - wrote:
>> and by choosing /r you're letting it "repair" whatever might not be
>> 100% good. If any of the data ( one word in a 100mb document for
>> example) is corrupted you MIGHT lose the whole document. Or you may
>> end up with 80% of the disk being flagged as BAD. I haven't reread
>> eveything here, but if this is an option - go to computer store ( or
>> online) and buy an adapter to allow you to put YOUR disk into a
>> desktop PC. (It's not that tough to do) and copy any of YOUR data to
>> the "other disk drive in the desktop". That way you will have all of
>> YOUR data. The windows tough is replaceable but yours may not be.
>
> Well, Chkdsk /r got my WinXP back, up and running, even if it's
> running slow.
> Seems all the files are OK, WinXP may be corrapted some what.
> Reporting pagefile problems.
> I'll back up from the Laptop what I need, I have an external USB HD
> drive, than re-install WinXP with the HP repair disks, came with my
> Laptop.
> Should work.
> Julius

Julius:

Nice going. welcome back.

The HP CD's you have - do they use/assume a D partition on your system ?
Recovery CD's or Install CD's - Do you know ? Just curious as I'm
looking at an HP laptop and wondering what they come with.

Did you notice the summary report - what did it find bad ? If you
haven't yet, just go into DOS and do a chkdsk ( no switches) to get a
summary. See how many bad blocks now.
As for pagefile being corrupt ... If nothing else, change the size of
your pagefile.sys to a minimum temporarily. That will free up most of
the space (So if it's currently auto or custom, e.g. min=512mb -- change
it to 10mb or "none" and reboot) Note it might take a long time to get
going, but it's only for a few minutes. Once booted now that "bad spot"
is available to be captured as a smaller chunk rather than the 512 mb
file it might be otherwise. So only " wasting" maybe 8-10mb (rather than
all 512)

To get to pagefile settings, control panel - system-adv- performance -
advanced - change. Pick the drive and choose Custom ( or none). Now
reboot and rerun chkdsk ( with switches you used) and hopefully it
will find only a few bad blocks - allowing you to use the rest ( of the
512 mb in my example). After that THEN change it back to auto or custom
: 512mb inital - 768mb max (for example)

After it's all backed up and BEFORE your restore.....
The Compaq's used to format the drive/partition as part of the complete
restore - does anyone know if HP restore does ? If not sure, I'd
recommend formatting the drive to identify all the bad blocks prior to
the HP CD's.

Good luck.