From: Phil Weldon on
'Protagonist' wrote:
| You worry too much!
| So far, all the advice you gave me, is like from a 5 year.
| Why do you think my HD is failing?
| Julius
_____

Hey, you asked the question. Now you make fun of the suggestions you get.
It's your data to lose ... have at it.

Now to give you an answer to 'Why do you thing my HD is failing?'

Because of the symptoms you describe. Hard drives have data error detection
and correction function. When a errors are detected when reading data, the
data is reread multiple times to try to get valid data. If this reread
process is happening often, the exact symptoms you describe occur. Once the
deteriorate in performance begins, it gets worse until finally the drive
will not function at all. The proximate cause can either be deterioate of
the magnetic recording surface or malfunctions of mechanical parts (head
positioner solenoid, bearings, platter motor.) IT is only to be expected
that a certain percentage of hard drive fail early in their designed
lifespan. MTBF means exactly that, MEAN time before failure. The bulk of
drives can be expected to fail very near MTBF, but some will have lifetimes
on either tail of the curve. What you have is multiple disks spinning at
7200 rpm with a read head skimming only a few microns above a delicate
recording surface, and that head is also rapidly across the disk when moving
from track to track. A failure mode could be that there is momentary
contact between the head and the recording surface. That location will have
the oxide destroyed, and likely tiny bits of recording surface will break
off and rattle around in the rotating disk container. Progressive
deterioration begins, reads and writes take longer and longer, and more and
more data is completely lost.

You've gotten half a dozen good replies to your post, all of which tell you
about the same thing. I'd guess that for the six who replied, the combined
total of experience with computers is a hundred years or more - for me alone
it's over forty years.

Please post the result of your experiment.

Phil Weldon

"Protagonist" <szaki10(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
| Phil Weldon wrote:
| > 'Protagonist' wrote:
| > | Thx Guys, got WinXP boot up for a while. Simple!
| > | Using recovery boot disk, than Chkdsk /r.
| > |

http://brock.paramagnus.com/2006/10/another-windows-errorstop-0x000000ed.html
| > | It fixes bad sectors/volum.
| > | I say while, because it was very slow to boot after error checking, 20
| > | minuts or more, heavy HD activity, than a window massage poped up
"page
| > | file is missing go to control panel to set it up" or some thing like
that.
| > | Changed Page file/ vetiual memory managment to "auto" and every thing
| > | got screwed up again, blue screen back at reboot.
| > | So, I'm runnining Chkdsk /r again. Seems it's going over 50% now, but
| > | very slow.
| > | At very first Chkdsk /r, it only went to 50%, stopped and said Volume
| > | has one or more errors.
| > | Hope fully WinXP boots up better now and I leave what ever vertual
| > | memory size window puts in.
| > | First it was min 650 Meg max 1300? Meg.
| > | Get back later!
| > _____
| >
| > Your hard drive is failing, and needs to be replaced as soon as
possible,
| > before you lose the entire contents!
| > Also, be very careful about downloading any operating system files
directly
| > from an unknown source, and relying on a blog for information. You are
| > playing with the future of your data.
| >
| > Phil Weldon
| >

| > "Protagonist" <szaki10(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
| > | > |
| > bay
| > | > |
TravelStar
| > hard
| > bad

| > should
| > question,

| > if
| > the

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > ||
| > poster
| > | > ||
| > | > ||
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > bay
| > | > |
TravelStar
| > hard
| > bad
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
From: - Bobb - on

"Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed(a)example.com> wrote in message
> 'Protagonist' wrote:
> | You worry too much!
> | So far, all the advice you gave me, is like from a 5 year.
> | Why do you think my HD is failing?
> | Julius
> _____
>
> Hey, you asked the question. Now you make fun of the suggestions you
> get.
> It's your data to lose ... have at it.
>
> You've gotten half a dozen good replies to your post, all of which
> tell you
> about the same thing. I'd guess that for the six who replied, the
> combined
> total of experience with computers is a hundred years or more - for me
> alone
> it's over forty years.
>
> Please post the result of your experiment.
>
> Phil Weldon

Wow you're an old geezer . Only 32 yrs for me.

bobb