From: Geoff Lock on
Hi folks,

I am in the market for a laptop but not just any laptop.

The 3 main features required are :-

1/ long battery life
- extra batteries are probably a cheat in this case and will be
acceptable (which covers just about all laptops I guess). The current
lappy (WinXP - 4yrs old?) drains the battery in 15 mins when the user
fires up the wireless Internet and connects via VPN to his office!!! I
am hoping that Win7 is less power hungry in this respect.

2/ small
- ideally around 270 x 190 (netbook sized) as weight is somewhat of a
consideration cos user has to hump the running lappy around for a coupla
hours typing info about various pieces of equipment.

3/ MUST SUPPORT 4:3 aspect ratio, at least 1024x768
- this is the MOST CRUCIAL criteria as the stupid fscking app cannot
handle 16:9 (I know, I know it boggles the mind but there are ppl who
write apps which need strange things and yes, I have spoken to the
developers and they cannot do anything about this due to legal problems
with some official forms, etc etc)

Dell used to have something like this (Inspiron 700) but I cannot find
anything similar to it now on the Dell site or even the HP site (my
preferred supplier).

I am hoping against hope that there would be a wide range of laptops in
use by the many many readers of this newsgroup, and perhaps I may get
some suggestions.

I am still going slowly thru the various manufacturer sites, Dell, HP,
IBM, Acer, MSI, ASUS, etc so it is gonna be a bit of a trudge.

I need to go out now and can only respond late tonite after midnight.
Thank you, one and all, in anticipation of your kind and considered
assistance.
From: atec77 on
On 10/08/2010 2:35 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:
> Hi folks,
Contact Toshiba as they can supply all but the old screen , I doubt
anyone makes em anymore

From: Rod Speed on
Geoff Lock wrote

> I am in the market for a laptop but not just any laptop.

> The 3 main features required are :-

> 1/ long battery life
> - extra batteries are probably a cheat in this case and will be
> acceptable (which covers just about all laptops I guess). The current
> lappy (WinXP - 4yrs old?) drains the battery in 15 mins when the user
> fires up the wireless Internet and connects via VPN to his office!!! I
> am hoping that Win7 is less power hungry in this respect.

Likely thats just a dead battery, you should get a lot longer than that.

You should certainly check that the new laptop can have a bigger
battery optionally, that makes a hell of a difference convenience wise.

> 2/ small
> - ideally around 270 x 190 (netbook sized) as weight is somewhat of a consideration cos user has to hump the running
> lappy around for a coupla hours typing info about various pieces of equipment.

> 3/ MUST SUPPORT 4:3 aspect ratio, at least 1024x768
> - this is the MOST CRUCIAL criteria as the stupid fscking app cannot
> handle 16:9 (I know, I know it boggles the mind but there are ppl who
> write apps which need strange things and yes, I have spoken to the
> developers and they cannot do anything about this due to legal
> problems with some official forms, etc etc)

> Dell used to have something like this (Inspiron 700) but I cannot find
> anything similar to it now on the Dell site or even the HP site (my
> preferred supplier).

Yeah, I insist on a laptop which has a full maintenance
manual available, but you may not care about that.

From: Geoff Lock on
On 10/08/2010 3:30 PM, atec77 wrote:
> On 10/08/2010 2:35 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:
>> Hi folks,
> Contact Toshiba as they can supply all but the old screen , I doubt
> anyone makes em anymore

Thanks for the tip, mate :)
From: Geoff Lock on
On 11/08/2010 3:44 AM, Rod Speed wrote:

>> 1/ long battery life
>> - extra batteries are probably a cheat in this case and will be
>> acceptable (which covers just about all laptops I guess). The current
>> lappy (WinXP - 4yrs old?) drains the battery in 15 mins when the user
>> fires up the wireless Internet and connects via VPN to his office!!! I
>> am hoping that Win7 is less power hungry in this respect.
>
> Likely thats just a dead battery, you should get a lot longer than that.

Or a dying batery :( Normal usage is pretty good - believe it or not!

> You should certainly check that the new laptop can have a bigger
> battery optionally, that makes a hell of a difference convenience wise.

Yupe will do tha.

Thanks for your views, squire :)