From: Gabriel Knight on
Hi all, I have an Acer Aspire 1700 laptop, when I turn it on it goes past
the option to load into the bios then the screen goes black sometimes it has
a blinking "-" at the top left of the screen. Nothing will happen so I boot
into the bios it accepts it by pressing "F2" then it goes to the bios, but
now nothing works ie left - right keys etc. Sometimes if I leave it at the
bios screen for about 20 minutes it works fine. I have tried to pull out the
HDD and 2x sticks of ram, it wont boot into anything with no ram so I tried
one at a time to see if the ram is faulty but they are fine and the HDD is
not any problem. Why dose it work sometimes and other times it dosnt is it
when it warms up? Is the CPU faulty? Do I need to flash/reinstall the bios?

Thanks all
GK

From: Conor on
On 27/06/2010 16:56, Gabriel Knight wrote:
> Hi all, I have an Acer Aspire 1700 laptop, when I turn it on it goes past
> the option to load into the bios then the screen goes black sometimes it has
> a blinking "-" at the top left of the screen. Nothing will happen so I boot
> into the bios it accepts it by pressing "F2" then it goes to the bios, but
> now nothing works ie left - right keys etc. Sometimes if I leave it at the
> bios screen for about 20 minutes it works fine. I have tried to pull out the
> HDD and 2x sticks of ram, it wont boot into anything with no ram so I tried
> one at a time to see if the ram is faulty but they are fine and the HDD is
> not any problem. Why dose it work sometimes and other times it dosnt is it
> when it warms up? Is the CPU faulty? Do I need to flash/reinstall the bios?

If its the P4 one, its an old girl now. Chances are there's a fault with
some of the capacitors on the mainboard.

--
Conor www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk
From: jinxy on
On Jun 27, 12:23 pm, Conor <co...(a)gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> On 27/06/2010 16:56, Gabriel Knight wrote:
>
> > Hi all, I have an Acer Aspire 1700 laptop, when I turn it on it goes past
> > the option to load into the bios then the screen goes black sometimes it has
> > a blinking "-" at the top left of the screen. Nothing will happen so I boot
> > into the bios it accepts it by pressing "F2" then it goes to the bios, but
> > now nothing works ie left - right keys etc. Sometimes if I leave it at the
> > bios screen for about 20 minutes it works fine. I have tried to pull out the
> > HDD and 2x sticks of ram, it wont boot into anything with no ram so I tried
> > one at a time to see if the ram is faulty but they are fine and the HDD is
> > not any problem. Why dose it work sometimes and other times it dosnt is it
> > when it warms up? Is the CPU faulty? Do I need to flash/reinstall the bios?
>
> If its the P4 one, its an old girl now. Chances are there's a fault with
> some of the capacitors on the mainboard.
>
> --
> Conorwww.notebooks-r-us.co.uk

A bios update (if there is a newer one, can't hurt) or a bios
reinstall, is worth a try. Go for it if you truly are sick of waiting
and hoping it loads windows and runs normally. -J
From: Grinder on
On 6/27/2010 10:56 AM, Gabriel Knight wrote:
> Hi all, I have an Acer Aspire 1700 laptop, when I turn it on it goes past
> the option to load into the bios then the screen goes black sometimes it has
> a blinking "-" at the top left of the screen. Nothing will happen so I boot
> into the bios it accepts it by pressing "F2" then it goes to the bios, but
> now nothing works ie left - right keys etc. Sometimes if I leave it at the
> bios screen for about 20 minutes it works fine. I have tried to pull out the
> HDD and 2x sticks of ram, it wont boot into anything with no ram so I tried
> one at a time to see if the ram is faulty but they are fine and the HDD is
> not any problem. Why dose it work sometimes and other times it dosnt is it
> when it warms up? Is the CPU faulty? Do I need to flash/reinstall the bios?

This is probably not it, bit it's worth taking the battery out. A
really marginal battery can produce odder results beyond just not
keeping a charge.

Also, how is it that you've ruled out the hard drive?