From: bj on
Good morning,

I had my PC repaired recently; the guy who came replaced the motherboard and
the graphics card. Afterwards, I found that he had put in a weaker processor
(AMD Athlon 2000) than I had had before (2200), so I wanted to replace that.
I detached the processor fan and replaced the processor.

Now, when I turn the PC on, for half a second a green diod lights up and the
fans go on, then the motherboards starts emitting pulse beeps like an
ambulance siren (eeeeooooeeeeooooeeeeoooo...) and everything (but the beeps
and the red diod) stops. Does anyone have an idea what the problem may be,
please? This persists also when I switch back to the old processor.

I had checked forums and found that this signal is typically emitted when
the processor temperature is too high. The old one that I removed had some
old paste on it, but the new one does not heat up in the half-second when
the PC seems to be working.
I plugged in the CPU fan and radiator (only did not click it on yet as it's
rather difficult, it requiring detaching the whole motherboard, but this
should not matter, should it?);
I switched the CMOS (?) jumper back and forth and even removed the battery
for 1 minute;
I removed and put the memory back in, checking the connections;
No capacitor seems to be swollen;
Apart from replacing the processor I didn't seem to be do anything.

Motherboard: Abit HF7; processor: AMD Athlon 2200

Could anyone suggest a solution, please? I have no more money for another
repair, and this is rather exasperating...
Loads of thanks in advance!

-bj

From: SteveH on
bj wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> I had my PC repaired recently; the guy who came replaced the
> motherboard and the graphics card. Afterwards, I found that he had
> put in a weaker processor (AMD Athlon 2000) than I had had before
> (2200), so I wanted to replace that. I detached the processor fan and
> replaced the processor.
> Now, when I turn the PC on, for half a second a green diod lights up
> and the fans go on, then the motherboards starts emitting pulse beeps
> like an ambulance siren (eeeeooooeeeeooooeeeeoooo...) and everything
> (but the beeps and the red diod) stops. Does anyone have an idea what
> the problem may be, please? This persists also when I switch back to
> the old processor.
> I had checked forums and found that this signal is typically emitted
> when the processor temperature is too high. The old one that I
> removed had some old paste on it, but the new one does not heat up in
> the half-second when the PC seems to be working.
> I plugged in the CPU fan and radiator (only did not click it on yet
> as it's rather difficult, it requiring detaching the whole
> motherboard, but this should not matter, should it?);

It most definitely matters. If that is one of the old AMD's you have there,
you can overheat it to destruction in a flash, if you haven't already. And
that is almost certainly an overheat warning you have there. Carefully
remove the old paste, get and carefully apply some new paste (you don't need
much), and fit the heatsink properly (even if it does mean removing the
motherboard).

--
SteveH