From: SMS on
I see that dealextreme.com is offering a bunch of lens hoods and lens
caps for Canon and Nikon lenses. I'd probably stay away from their
filters, but for a lens hood I would not hesitate to buy a CCLH (cheap
Chinese lens hood).

For anyone foolish enough to want to add wide-angle or telephoto
adapters to a P&S camera, they have some of those lens adapters
available, but I expect that they're even worse quality than the ones
you can get from Olympus, Nikon, or Canon.

"http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.lens%20hood"

For those with Canon lenses, be very careful to choose the right hood
because there are hoods with very similar model numbers that are
actually quite different, i.e. EW-73B versus EW-73.

They also have some generic lens hoods that screw onto the lens threads
or filter threads, but these should be a last resort.
From: tony cooper on
On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 11:03:58 -0800, SMS <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com>
wrote:

>I see that dealextreme.com is offering a bunch of lens hoods and lens
>caps for Canon and Nikon lenses. I'd probably stay away from their
>filters, but for a lens hood I would not hesitate to buy a CCLH (cheap
>Chinese lens hood).
>
>For anyone foolish enough to want to add wide-angle or telephoto
>adapters to a P&S camera, they have some of those lens adapters
>available, but I expect that they're even worse quality than the ones
>you can get from Olympus, Nikon, or Canon.
>
>"http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.lens%20hood"
>
>For those with Canon lenses, be very careful to choose the right hood
>because there are hoods with very similar model numbers that are
>actually quite different, i.e. EW-73B versus EW-73.
>
>They also have some generic lens hoods that screw onto the lens threads
>or filter threads, but these should be a last resort.

Your source may be very good for some accessories, but here's another
one:
http://www.camerafilters.com/default.aspx

I bought some lens caps, rear lens caps, and screw-in lens hoods from
them. Prices were reasonable, service was fast, and the products work
just fine.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: SMS on
tony cooper wrote:

> I bought some lens caps, rear lens caps, and screw-in lens hoods from
> them. Prices were reasonable, service was fast, and the products work
> just fine.

It's best to avoid the screw-on lens hoods if possible. For Canon and
Nikon there are custom lens hoods for most lenses so you don't need to
use the screw-on hoods. But I have bought filters and lens caps from
that company and they were fine.
From: tony cooper on
On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 15:50:41 -0800, SMS <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com>
wrote:

>tony cooper wrote:
>
>> I bought some lens caps, rear lens caps, and screw-in lens hoods from
>> them. Prices were reasonable, service was fast, and the products work
>> just fine.
>
>It's best to avoid the screw-on lens hoods if possible.

Why? The reason I purchased screw-on soft rubber lens hoods is
because the damn rigid Nikon fit-ons are a PIA to keep on the camera.
The rubber screw-ons fold back and act as a bumper to protect the lens
from banging against things. The camera fits in my top-load
holster-style bag without removing the hood, and my other lens fits in
its pouch without removing the hood. The hood is rolled back 90% of
the time.

I use their 3-in-1 hoods and love 'em.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: BFD on
On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 23:56:09 -0500, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 15:50:41 -0800, SMS <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>tony cooper wrote:
>>
>>> I bought some lens caps, rear lens caps, and screw-in lens hoods from
>>> them. Prices were reasonable, service was fast, and the products work
>>> just fine.
>>
>>It's best to avoid the screw-on lens hoods if possible.
>
>Why? The reason I purchased screw-on soft rubber lens hoods is
>because the damn rigid Nikon fit-ons are a PIA to keep on the camera.
>The rubber screw-ons fold back and act as a bumper to protect the lens
>from banging against things. The camera fits in my top-load
>holster-style bag without removing the hood, and my other lens fits in
>its pouch without removing the hood. The hood is rolled back 90% of
>the time.
>
>I use their 3-in-1 hoods and love 'em.

Are you so quick to forget that SMS has never held or used any camera in
his life? There's no reason to ask "why" he types what he does. Knowing
this is all that's needed to explain all his "advice". All he knows is what
he reads in online advertising. If the page is pretty and easy enough for
him to understand, then that's a good enough reason for him! And it should
be for you too!