From: Trevor on
Hi all
just started with a Sony A100 after years of using a compact. I will be
using the camera for taking pics of the lad playing fotball amongst other
things and wondered what would be the best lens for say the other side of
a footy pitch? the camera came with the standard 18/70 lens and a minolta
28/100. Do I need anything else or will these do? I have been looking at
a 80/300 do I need it?
Thanx
Trev
From: ray on
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 14:54:29 +0000, Trev wrote:

> Hi all
> justa started with a Sony A100 after years of using a compact. I will
> be using the camera for taking pics of the lad playing fotball amongst
> other things and wondered what would be the best lens for say the other
> side of a footy pitch? the camera came with the standard 18/70 lens and
> a minolta 28/100. Do I need anything else or will these do? I have been
> looking at a 80/300 do I need it?
> Thanx
> Trev

I have a great idea - why don't you try what you have and see if you need
something else!
From: Joe Makowiec on
On 15 Mar 2010 in rec.photo.digital, Trev wrote:

> justa started with a Sony A100 after years of using a compact. I
> will be using the camera for taking pics of the lad playing fotball
> amongst other things and wondered what would be the best lens for
> say the other side of a footy pitch? the camera came with the
> standard 18/70 lens and a minolta 28/100. Do I need anything else or
> will these do? I have been looking at a 80/300 do I need it?

I did a website for my daughter's soccer club. As will inevitably
happen, she moved along; in subsequent years, other parents took up the
photographic chores. Three years of pictures, three different
photographers, focal length range followed by count. All three cameras
were DX sensor size:

2006
<100: 189
100 - 135: 212
>135 - 200: 188
>200 - 300: 109

2007
<100: 77
100 - 135: 85
>135 - 200: 153

2008
<100: 26
100 - 135: 46

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
From: Trevor on
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 18:00:33 +0000, ray wrote:

snip

> I have a great idea - why don't you try what you have and see if you
> need something else!

thanks for sharing your knowledge and expertise ray.
Cheers.........
From: me on
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 14:54:29 -0000, "Trev" <trevor(a)home.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi all
>justa started with a Sony A100 after years of using a compact. I will be
>using the camera for taking pics of the lad playing fotball amongst other
>things and wondered what would be the best lens for say the other side of a
>footy pitch? the camera came with the standard 18/70 lens and a minolta
>28/100. Do I need anything else or will these do? I have been looking at a
>80/300 do I need it?

What was the 35mm equivalent focal length of your compact Was this
wide enough for you, was this close enough for you? Compare this to
the lenses for your A100. Note that as the A100 does not have a sensor
the same size of 35mm film, it's field of view will be smaller than as
would be seen if it were the same. Effectively you lenses will give
you the same field as view as a longer lens on a true 35mm camera. The
sensor size ration can be used to think of the equivalent view. For a
crop factor of 1.5 which I'm guessing is correct for your A100, your
100mm lens will give you the same field of view as a 150mm lens on a
35mm camera. This is what you would compare to the euivalent 35mm
focal length of your compact.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: On-line warranty purchases?