From: Access Developer on
"GP George" <george_hepworth(a)hotmail.com> wrote

> No, Aaron. You really are not able to correct
> misinformation, other than your own, of course.
>
> But even that would assume you know the
> difference, the probability of which
> seems to run less than 50% .
>
> George

By George, George, I believe you have him pegged! It is getting wearisome
that some one of us has to correct Mr. Kempf's claims and misinformation
every time he posts.

From: Bill on
What I meant by "No" was simply that I didn't agree with
having a single NG that covered all aspects Access
development. I have found it meaningful to categorize the
NG threads with some specific focus.
Bill

From: Fred on
I'm afraid that my initial proposal/question was confusing, particularly due
to my lack of understanding of the technology side of newsgroups.

By "single" I didn't mean eliminate categories. I meant a single "place"
for people to go. I consider the current structure here to be idea.

Given that 90% of mere mortals (myself included) don't use or know how to
use newsgroup technology, I think that any viable replacement will need to
be a web site or accessible via a web site, Any ideas before we "go dark?"

From: Bill on
Have a look at the general characteristics of NNTP servers as
described within Usenet, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet).

Those of us that DO NOT use web-based forums rely on
the availability of Microsoft.Public.Access.* NG's being peered
across the many NNTP servers around the globe.

Bill

From: David W. Fenton on

> Those of us that DO NOT use web-based forums rely on
> the availability of Microsoft.Public.Access.* NG's being peered
> across the many NNTP servers around the globe.

Well, for now, as of June 3rd, msnews.microsoft.com is still there,
and it's accepting posts. I even posted just now from
msnews.microsoft.com in a newsgroup that was supposed to have been
"closed" on June 1st (microsoft.public.access.replication).

So, it's not clear to me what Microsoft meant with all their
messages about closing things down.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/