From: Bill on
David,

Microsoft only intends to shut down their ONE NNTP server,
msnews.microsoft.com. Obviously, they've got more important
things to do, as that server is still up.

All the rest of the many many NNTP servers around the globe
will likely continue to host the Microsoft.Public.* news groups,
as Microsoft has no inherent authority to delete those news
groups. (It's possible they could try, but I seriously doubt that
the NNTP server administrators would honor their commands
to remove the groups.)

Bill

From: David W. Fenton on

> Microsoft only intends to shut down their ONE NNTP server,
> msnews.microsoft.com. Obviously, they've got more important
> things to do, as that server is still up.

....as opposed to what they said they would do...

> All the rest of the many many NNTP servers around the globe
> will likely continue to host the Microsoft.Public.* news groups,
> as Microsoft has no inherent authority to delete those news
> groups. (It's possible they could try, but I seriously doubt that
> the NNTP server administrators would honor their commands
> to remove the groups.)

Um, I'm very well aware of these facts, and have posted repeatedly
explaining them to others who've been in sky-is-falling mode.

My point is that what MS said would happen (the group would "close"
on June 1st) hasn't happened.

But it wouldn't matter if it had, of course.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: Fred on
A continuation of this is in a June 4th post in the "General Questions"
section.
From: Bill on
Of what NG?

From: bobbie on