From: Bit Twister on
On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 13:16:24 -0400, Lew Pitcher wrote:

> Since I don't want those domains, and I /do/ want justlinux.ca, I really
> don't care /what/ RM does. If it becomes actionable,

From the posts I have seen in the past, I would say you have grounds
to get his internet account closed.

Seeing that his ip addy is 99.247.231.169 I would
grab some proof from his posts, send copies
to google and rogers.com and see how it goes. :)
From: Aragorn on
On Friday 02 July 2010 19:16 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
identifying as Lew Pitcher wrote...

> On July 2, 2010 12:49, in comp.os.linux.setup,
> aragorn(a)chatfactory.invalid wrote:
>
>> On Friday 02 July 2010 09:42 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
>> identifying as mjt wrote...
>>
>>> On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 00:30:29 -0700 (PDT)
>>> realto <dranyamlr(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> ... realto ------> *plonk*
>>
>> Despite the weird nature of the original post, there *is* indeed
>> someone who posts to these newsgroups as "Lew Pitcher", but who is
>> not the *real* Lew Pitcher and who has - or so I gather - stolen a
>> domain from the real Lew Pitcher.
>>
>> The guy's name is Roger Maynard and he is posting under Lew's name in
>> order to defame him.
>>
>> Just for the record. :-)
>
> Thanks, Aragorn
>
> But... that's a little bit wrong.
>
> Last October, I legitimately leased the "justlinux.ca" domain name
> from CIRA (the Canadian Internet Registration Authority). The previous
> lessor of the domain name had terminated ownership a month before, and
> (after suitable time and effort) CIRA had made the name available for
> lease to the general public.
>
> Shortly afterward, Roger Maynard (the previous lessor) accused me of
> "bad faith" in "stealing" his (abandoned) domain name. To force me to
> give the name back to him, he leased two domains who's names
> incorporate my own name, and proceeded to post (to him, at least)
> defamatory information on those domains.

Oh, I see... Well, then I got the defamation part right anyway. ;-)

> Since I don't want those domains, and I /do/ want justlinux.ca, I
> really don't care /what/ RM does. If it becomes actionable, I'll take
> legal action against him (I know where he lives, his phone number, his
> current occupation, and everything else I need).
>
> So, no, Roger didn't "steal" any domain names. OTOH, Roger is a
> confirmed troll, lier, and attempted blackmailer.

He is indeed a troll, and he has been spouting pro-Microsoft nonsense in
this and other groups on more than one occasion. I had forgotten about
that aspect of him when I wrote my original reply, but you've just
reminded me of that again. ;-)

> I, on the other hand, didn't "steal" any domain name either. I
> /leased/ it from the rightful owner, the Canadian Internet
> Registration Authority (cira.ca), when Roger no longer wanted it.

Understood. ;-)

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: Aragorn on
On Friday 02 July 2010 19:54 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
identifying as mjt wrote...

> On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 18:49:14 +0200
> Aragorn <aragorn(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Friday 02 July 2010 09:42 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
>> identifying as mjt wrote...
>>
>> > On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 00:30:29 -0700 (PDT)
>> > realto <dranyamlr(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > ... realto ------> *plonk*
>>
>> Despite the weird nature of the original post, there *is* indeed
>> someone who posts to these newsgroups as "Lew Pitcher", but who is
>> not the *real* Lew Pitcher and who has - or so I gather - stolen a
>> domain from the real Lew Pitcher.
>>
>> The guy's name is Roger Maynard and he is posting under Lew's name in
>> order to defame him.
>
> Thanks for the update, Aragorn.
>
> I'm familiar with [the real] Lew - we've rubbed elbows in
> the various Linux newsgroups in the past, when I was more
> heavily involved. And I've done a quick bit of research
> about this domain incident.
>
> So as I roam the newsgroups, I don't appreciate having to read
> realto's inflammatory posts ... so in to the killfile they go

Well, since the update from the real Lew in this thread, it would thus
appear that "realto" is in fact Roger Maynard, once more trying to
defame the real Lew Pitcher.

I concur with what Bit Twister wrote. Lew does indeed appear to have a
case against Roger Maynard for defamation and libel, and apart from any
other legal actions Lew could take, I bet that he would also have
sufficient evidence to get Maynard's internet connection canceled on
the grounds of this libel.

From: RayLopez99 on
On Jul 2, 11:16 pm, Aragorn <arag...(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:

> He is indeed a troll, and he has been spouting pro-Microsoft nonsense in
> this and other groups on more than one occasion.  I had forgotten about
> that aspect of him when I wrote my original reply, but you've just
> reminded me of that again. ;-)

How's that Linux going, "pro-Linux nonsense" poster? How's that
Amiga?

Take your pills. You'll need them if you use Linux.

Linux. Crazy-ware. ;-)

RL
From: Baho Utot on
RayLopez99 wrote:

> On Jul 2, 11:16�pm, Aragorn <arag...(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:
>
>> He is indeed a troll, and he has been spouting pro-Microsoft nonsense in
>> this and other groups on more than one occasion. �I had forgotten about
>> that aspect of him when I wrote my original reply, but you've just
>> reminded me of that again. ;-)
>
> How's that Linux going, "pro-Linux nonsense" poster? How's that
> Amiga?

How's your virus scanner?

> Take your pills. You'll need them if you use Linux.

Why Linux is a good sound OS unlike MS anything

> Linux. Crazy-ware. ;-)

No Linux is sane it's MS that's insane.