From: MoiMoi on
In article <Xns9A6E43F5D659Bangharad(a)199.45.49.11>, angharad(a)nomail.com
says...

> I have a Lemark x4550 wirelessly connected to my WindowsXP desktop
> computer. It prints fine however I can't get it to scan. Using the control
> panel on the printer it asks me to select the computer to which I want to
> scan, I choose the computer and it starts "Downloading Application List".
> This usually results in an error stating it "Cannot retrieve application
> list". However sometimes it will give me a list of applications and if I
> select one of these and try and scan an error screen comes up stating the
> scan failed. There's also no scan icon in the Lexmark Imaging Studio. Any
> suggestions.

No help, I know, but I've never really heard anyone talk about being
happy trying to scan wirelessly, except for some specialy usages like
barcodes.

MM

From: CSM1 on
"MoiMoi" <moimoi(a)example.com> wrote in message
> In article <Xns9A6E43F5D659Bangharad(a)199.45.49.11>, angharad(a)nomail.com
> says...
>>
>> I have a Lemark x4550 wirelessly connected to my WindowsXP desktop
>> computer. It prints fine however I can't get it to scan. Using the
>> control
>> panel on the printer it asks me to select the computer to which I want to
>> scan, I choose the computer and it starts "Downloading Application List".
>> This usually results in an error stating it "Cannot retrieve application
>> list". However sometimes it will give me a list of applications and if I
>> select one of these and try and scan an error screen comes up stating the
>> scan failed. There's also no scan icon in the Lexmark Imaging Studio.
>> Any
>> suggestions.
>
> No help, I know, but I've never really heard anyone talk about being
> happy trying to scan wirelessly, except for some specialy usages like
> barcodes.
>
> MM

I second MM, I have never heard of scanning wirelessly. There is too much
communication between the computer and scanner for wireless to work.

The Computer needs to talk with the scanner to set the parameters and the
scanner needs to talk with the computer to send the image back. This must be
done in real time.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

From: MoiMoi on
In article <worIj.11511$qS5.6660(a)nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com>,
nomoremail(a)nomail.com says...
> "MoiMoi" <moimoi(a)example.com> wrote in message
> > In article <Xns9A6E43F5D659Bangharad(a)199.45.49.11>, angharad(a)nomail.com
> > says...
> >>
> >> I have a Lemark x4550 wirelessly connected to my WindowsXP desktop
> >> computer. It prints fine however I can't get it to scan. Using the
> >> control
> >> panel on the printer it asks me to select the computer to which I want to
> >> scan, I choose the computer and it starts "Downloading Application List".
> >> This usually results in an error stating it "Cannot retrieve application
> >> list". However sometimes it will give me a list of applications and if I
> >> select one of these and try and scan an error screen comes up stating the
> >> scan failed. There's also no scan icon in the Lexmark Imaging Studio.
> >> Any
> >> suggestions.
> >
> > No help, I know, but I've never really heard anyone talk about being
> > happy trying to scan wirelessly, except for some specialy usages like
> > barcodes.
> >
> > MM
> >

> I second MM, I have never heard of scanning wirelessly. There is too much
> communication between the computer and scanner for wireless to work.
>
> The Computer needs to talk with the scanner to set the parameters and the
> scanner needs to talk with the computer to send the image back. This must be
> done in real time.

I think it has as much to do with the sheer volume of data that must be
quickly passed as anything.
Even "low rez" scanning, say actual size @ 72ppi generates a lot of
bits, and of course if the scanner has to wait for data buffers to
clear from scanner to puter and whatnot, it often just craps out, to use
technical term.

I think barcode scanning can work okay, like grocery store encoding and
the like, but there isn't really very much data involved to read UPC
stripes.

MM
From: angharad on
MoiMoi <moimoi(a)example.com> wrote in

> No help, I know, but I've never really heard anyone talk about being
> happy trying to scan wirelessly, except for some specialy usages like
> barcodes.
>
> MM

The scanner works fine sending data to my laptop, its just my desktop
machine I cant get to work.
From: Peter D on
"angharad" <angharad(a)nomail.com> wrote in message
> MoiMoi <moimoi(a)example.com> wrote in
>> No help, I know, but I've never really heard anyone talk about being
>> happy trying to scan wirelessly, except for some specialy usages like
>> barcodes.

There's no reason the protocol and network used cannot handle the
bi-directional needs of scanning. Wireless "g" and "n" are sufficiently fast
enough (if no other problems exist) to manage the data flow. There is
nothing inherent to a wireless network that makes it less capable than a
wired network given that the wireless network, softwate, protocol, layers,
and hardware are configured correctly. Come to think of it, why would
Lexmark release a line of wireless printer/scanners that won't work on
wireless networks?

> The scanner works fine sending data to my laptop, its just my desktop
> machine I cant get to work.

If the scanner works fine with the laptop, it follows that the scanner is
fully cappable of interacting with a computer over a wireless netwrok.
Therefore, the problem must be with the Desktop or the configuration. I'm
curious if you ever connected the laptop to the Lexmark using USB?

Some networked printers have to be configured as a local printer to be
successfully set up as a networked printer. Connect the Lexmark directly via
USB, (re-)install drivers, (re)-install software. Can the Desktop
communicate with the Lexmark without errors? If it can, shut everything
down, disconnect the Lexmark from USB. Restart the Desktop, and Add the
Lexmark as a network printer or change the Port for the printer that was
installed - Check your manual for best method if one is suggested. Can the
Desktop communicate with the Lexmark without errors now?

What happens if you share the Lexmark on the laptop and then connect to the
share (Add -> Network Printer)? Can the Desktop communicate properly with
the Lexmark now?