From: Daniel James on
In article news:<48540c6f$0$80730$c5fe31e7(a)reader.usenet4all.se>, Nemo wrote:
> ... Dell Inspiron 1525 ... Googlemail, web browsing and a
> little word processing ... I can get it to dual boot whatever
> form of Microsoft it comes with ...

FWIW you don't need Windows at all for Googlemail, browsing, and a little WP, and you can get a 1525 direct from Dell with Ubuntu installed.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/emea/segments/gen/client/en/ubuntu_landing?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs

Cheers,
Daniel.

From: Martin Liddle on
In message <J965k.81937$X6.7897(a)newsfe30.ams2>, Will Kemp
<will(a)xxxx.swaggie.net> writes

>Having said that, the only time i've tried to use wine since i
>installed F9, the system froze!

I think I noticed a kernel fix in the latest updates for this problem.
--
Martin Liddle, Tynemouth Computer Services, 3 Kentmere Way,
Staveley, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S43 3TW.
From: Phil Stovell on
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 19:22:26 +0100, Nemo wrote:

> I am considering a laptop for my grown up daughter, Dell Inspiron 1525
> seems to manage to do all she needs for Googlemail, web browsing and a
> little word processing. It's also got a 160gig harddrive so I can get it
> to dual boot whatever form of Microsoft it comes with, although I went
> straight from windows to Slackware 7 and never went back so I might need
> help in getting something to dual boot.
>
> All comments, alternative recommendations, and suggestions welcomed.

I bought one of these last week:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NNB-587

It's running Ubuntu 8.04.
From: Folderol on
On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 13:23:24 +0100
Phil Stovell <phil(a)stovell.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 19:22:26 +0100, Nemo wrote:
>
> > I am considering a laptop for my grown up daughter, Dell Inspiron 1525
> > seems to manage to do all she needs for Googlemail, web browsing and a
> > little word processing. It's also got a 160gig harddrive so I can get it
> > to dual boot whatever form of Microsoft it comes with, although I went
> > straight from windows to Slackware 7 and never went back so I might need
> > help in getting something to dual boot.
> >
> > All comments, alternative recommendations, and suggestions welcomed.
>

> I bought one of these last week:
>
> http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NNB-587
>
> It's running Ubuntu 8.04.

Hmmm. Novatech

They do seem to be rather making a name for themselves. We now buy all
our IT kit from them :)

--
Will J G
From: Gordon Henderson on
In article <48540c6f$0$80730$c5fe31e7(a)reader.usenet4all.se>,
Nemo <brokenjohn(a)linuxmail.org> wrote:
>I am considering a laptop for my grown up daughter, Dell Inspiron 1525
>seems to manage to do all she needs for Googlemail, web browsing and a
>little word processing. It's also got a 160gig harddrive so I can get
>it to dual boot whatever form of Microsoft it comes with, although I
>went straight from windows to Slackware 7 and never went back so I
>might need help in getting something to dual boot.
>
>All comments, alternative recommendations, and suggestions welcomed.

I bought a new Acer about a year ago - it's not quite 100% Linux
compatable - I've never made the sound work, but them, I've never needed
to, and I suspect if I could be bothered to put a newer kernel on it,
it'd be OK... (it runs Debian Etch) However, a few things for me - I
live in Devon and bought it out of a local shop in South Brent, and the
main Acer fixing place is just outside Plymouth too, and Acers come with
2 partitions (well 3), one is Win XP, (+ a small restore partition),
the other is the D drive and left unused, so makes a Linux install
trivial if you want to leave XP in-place (Which, alas I have need for)

The hinges are a bit stiff though - and a friend of mine who also has an
Acer has just broken them on his, so the lid/screen is a bit wonky now.

I don't actually "work" off the laptop - it's just an "out and about"
device (giving presentations, demos, etc. and there's some really old
Wi-Fi stuff I maintain that needs 'doze software to run) - I suspect if
I had to do a lot of work on it, I might look for something a bit more
usable, but it's OK for what I need.

Gordon