From: Nemo on
Jim Price wrote:

> Detriment is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but I would go
> for something with better supported graphics that the SIS M672. I'm
> not saying they're unsupported, but Intel, Nvidia or ATI graphics
> would be better IME.
>
> At 14 inches something like the Acer Extensa 4220 might even match the
> budget, especially if you flog the soon-to-be-rare OEM XP licence to
> another Acer user.

I have ordered the X15 M530, without an OS as Dual booting was only
going to be an issue if I had to buy with some form of Microsoft
installed. Having lived at home when we all moved to Scotland, she is
used to Slackware on my computer.

> I'm waiting for the Aspire One myself as I've had enough of cheap
> laptops with too short a battery life.

Battery life was not too serious an issue either as the only reason a
laptop was needed was that she has moved into a tiny cottage in the
next village. The connection is going to be the next problem as my ISP,
who can deliver 6604.81 Kbps to my house, (BT put in optical cable when
they needed to relay some of the telephone wires), can only accept an
order for 250 Kbps for her address.

--
Nemo
"Feather-footed through the plashy fen passes the questing vole"
From: Will Kemp on
Nemo wrote:

> Battery life was not too serious an issue either as the only reason a
> laptop was needed was that she has moved into a tiny cottage in the
> next village. The connection is going to be the next problem as my ISP,
> who can deliver 6604.81 Kbps to my house, (BT put in optical cable when
> they needed to relay some of the telephone wires), can only accept an
> order for 250 Kbps for her address.

It's a slim chance, but there wouldn't happen to be any line of sight
path between the two houses, would there?

--
http://SnapAndScribble.com
From: Phil Stovell on
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 05:02:30 +0100, Nemo wrote:

> I have ordered the X15 M530, without an OS as Dual booting was only going
> to be an issue if I had to buy with some form of Microsoft installed.

There's a few gotchas with it and Ubuntu (don't know about Slackware or
any others). They aren't showstoppers.

I'll post a review here later.
From: Phil Stovell on
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 08:57:58 +0100, Phil Stovell wrote:

> I'll post a review here later.

It's in a new thread: "Novatech X15 M530 laptop and Ubuntu".
From: Nemo on
Will Kemp wrote:

> It's a slim chance, but there wouldn't happen to be any line of sight
> path between the two houses, would there?

A very slim chance in the Monalaidh Mountains, plus the hills between us
are covered in Forestry. Well... having looked out of the Window, zero
chance, as far as I can estimate there is a lump of rock about 4 miles
thick and 500 feet high between us. We can't even get a terrestrial TV
signal; or any radio signal in the front rooms of our house. She does
better for the radio however, being on the slope down to Loch Ness.