From: Tony Houghton on
In <87y6jy300c.fsf(a)rudin.co.uk>,
Paul Rudin <paul.nospam(a)rudin.co.uk> wrote:

> Tony Houghton <h(a)realh.co.uk> writes:
>
>> I changed my bank account away from NatWest years ago because the fake
>> user agent string I had to use on their site was incompatible with the
>> Java plugin I had to use on the same site.
>
> I have always banked with NatWest and used their web banking services
> ever since they were available. Never had to do anything other than
> change the user agent string... and these days that is not necessary.

Didn't you ever have to use a horrible Java applet to do your online
banking? What happened to me was that they wouldn't let in anything
except IE or Netscape 4, despite Netscape 4 being completely obsolete,
superseded by Mozilla. IIRC I couldn't use an IE agent string because
that would make the site send IE-specific code. That meant I had to set
it to Netscape 4. Unfortunately the same user agent string was used for
internal plugin checks as well as external site checks, and eventually
NS4 was so obsolete that the Java plugin refused to work with it.

Paul Martin's post shows they're still dumbly using User Agent checking,
so they obviously still don't have much clue and I could easily end up
being locked out of my account again.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: chris on
On 16/01/10 14:07, Tony Houghton wrote:
> In<87y6jy300c.fsf(a)rudin.co.uk>,
> Paul Rudin<paul.nospam(a)rudin.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Tony Houghton<h(a)realh.co.uk> writes:
>>
>>> I changed my bank account away from NatWest years ago because the fake
>>> user agent string I had to use on their site was incompatible with the
>>> Java plugin I had to use on the same site.
>>
>> I have always banked with NatWest and used their web banking services
>> ever since they were available. Never had to do anything other than
>> change the user agent string... and these days that is not necessary.
>
> Didn't you ever have to use a horrible Java applet to do your online
> banking? What happened to me was that they wouldn't let in anything
> except IE or Netscape 4, despite Netscape 4 being completely obsolete,
> superseded by Mozilla. IIRC I couldn't use an IE agent string because
> that would make the site send IE-specific code. That meant I had to set
> it to Netscape 4. Unfortunately the same user agent string was used for
> internal plugin checks as well as external site checks, and eventually
> NS4 was so obsolete that the Java plugin refused to work with it.
>
> Paul Martin's post shows they're still dumbly using User Agent checking,
> so they obviously still don't have much clue and I could easily end up
> being locked out of my account again.

I've been using the RBS site (essentially the same as Natwest) for
several years up until a few months ago. I don't ever remember having a
Java applet and User Agent spoofing hasn't been needed for the last few
years.
From: chris on
On 15/01/10 21:35, Theo Markettos wrote:
> Tony Houghton<h(a)realh.co.uk> wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a credit-card with a decent website that's
>> compatible with Firefox etc? I'm on a low income, receiving benefits
>> (and I pay off my bill every month), so I doubt any "gold" cards etc
>> will take me on. And it needs not to be Egg (Message-ID
>> <slrnhl1bbo.v89.h(a)realh.co.uk> for anyone who's interested why).
>
> Don't know about credit cards specifically, but I haven't seen an internet
> banking site these days that /doesn't/ work on Firefox etc.

I'd concur with this. Gone are the days where you had to pick your bank
carefully re website suitability.

For the record, I know the following work flawlessly with Firefox:
smile, egg, halifax, RBS, first direct

From: Matthew Wild on
Ian wrote:
> On 15 Jan, 18:37, Tony Houghton <h...(a)realh.co.uk> wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a credit-card with a decent website that's
>> compatible with Firefox etc? I'm on a low income, receiving benefits
>> (and I pay off my bill every month), so I doubt any "gold" cards etc
>> will take me on. And it needs not to be Egg (Message-ID
>> <slrnhl1bbo.v8...(a)realh.co.uk> for anyone who's interested why).
>
> Co-Op online banking works very well with Ubuntu/Firefox. That
> probably means Smile works too.

Definitely works or smile too.