From: Sandgroper on

"Doug Jewell" <ask(a)and.maybe.ill.tell.you> wrote in message
>I generally quite like Linux. I've run it on servers since it's early days,
>and every now and then I try it as a desktop OS.

< ...... snipped >

> All in all, my efforts to try linux again have been met with frustration.
> Vista isn't perfect, but at least it works. The ubuntu "upgrades" have
> introduced more bugs. Fedora is absolutely useless even for trivial tasks.
> And it appears that running anything with an ATI graphics card, which is
> the standard graphics card in about 80% of laptops, is a complete waste of
> time.

It's not that Linux is getting crappier , it is just that people are getting
lazier by the year and they become "point and click" experts.

If you have any experience with Linux , then before you would even do an
install , you would have checked out the Hardware Compatibility List (HCL)
to make sure that your system components are compatible with Linux or that
there was driver support for the system components.

If you had some Linux experience , then you should have known that the ATI
video cards don't play nice with Linux because they lack decent driver
support and that you would have used a nVidia graphics card instead.

--

Sandgroper
Save planet Earth !

From: z1 on
me here wrote:
> z1 wrote:
>
>> Doug Jewell wrote:
>>> I generally quite like Linux. I've run it on servers since it's
>>> early days, and every now and then I try it as a desktop OS.
>>>
>> have you tried Mint?
>
> Yes. I'm not a great fan of KDE though. It's only a KDE flavoured
> version of Ubuntu with a few media codecs thrown in.

Mint is Gomme

> It was OK, but I prefer Ubuntu for its interface and wide ranging
> software repositories.

Mint uses the same repositiories

> I always get the impression with Windows that every configuration task
> (regardless of how often it would be used) got the same treatment at
> the design stage regarding simplicity of use. Networking is a classic
> case of non user friendliness.

in Mint its dead easy
From: me here on
Sandgroper wrote:

> "Doug Jewell" <ask(a)and.maybe.ill.tell.you> wrote in message
> > I generally quite like Linux. I've run it on servers since it's
> > early days, and every now and then I try it as a desktop OS.
> >
> < ...... snipped >
> >
> > All in all, my efforts to try linux again have been met with
> > frustration. Vista isn't perfect, but at least it works. The
> > ubuntu "upgrades" have introduced more bugs. Fedora is absolutely
> > useless even for trivial tasks. And it appears that running
> > anything with an ATI graphics card, which is the standard graphics
> > card in about 80% of laptops, is a complete waste of time.
>
> It's not that Linux is getting crappier , it is just that people are
> getting lazier by the year and they become "point and click" experts.
>
> If you have any experience with Linux , then before you would even
> do an install , you would have checked out the Hardware Compatibility
> List (HCL) to make sure that your system components are compatible
> with Linux or that there was driver support for the system components.
>
> If you had some Linux experience , then you should have known that
> the ATI video cards don't play nice with Linux because they lack
> decent driver support and that you would have used a nVidia graphics
> card instead.

But Nvidia cards dont work properly either - not if you want to use the
advanced features.

Try and get a 6600Gt to work in advanced mode.

OK I suppose you don't NEED the eye candy.

As for ATI drivers, my laptop ran Ubuntu with all the eye candy under
8.04 but now it won't under the latest version.

And being a techno user of linux won't always help because ndiswrapper
wont always solve the driver problem as some are just not suitable.

Anyway if Linux is being marketed for the masses it should be up to the
task for basic users.

Rob

From: me here on
z1 wrote:

> me here wrote:
> > z1 wrote:

> > > have you tried Mint?
> >
> > Yes. I'm not a great fan of KDE though. It's only a KDE flavoured
> > version of Ubuntu with a few media codecs thrown in.
>
> Mint is Gomme
>

> > It was OK, but I prefer Ubuntu for its interface and wide ranging
> > software repositories.
>
> Mint uses the same repositiories
>

> > I always get the impression with Windows that every configuration
> > task (regardless of how often it would be used) got the same
> > treatment at the design stage regarding simplicity of use.
> > Networking is a classic case of non user friendliness.
> >

> in Mint its dead easy

The version I have is KDE.

Rob

From: Doug Jewell on
Sandgroper wrote:
> "Doug Jewell" <ask(a)and.maybe.ill.tell.you> wrote in message
>> I generally quite like Linux. I've run it on servers since it's early days,
>> and every now and then I try it as a desktop OS.
>>
> < ...... snipped >
>> All in all, my efforts to try linux again have been met with frustration.
>> Vista isn't perfect, but at least it works. The ubuntu "upgrades" have
>> introduced more bugs. Fedora is absolutely useless even for trivial tasks.
>> And it appears that running anything with an ATI graphics card, which is
>> the standard graphics card in about 80% of laptops, is a complete waste of
>> time.
>
> It's not that Linux is getting crappier , it is just that people are getting
> lazier by the year and they become "point and click" experts.
>
> If you have any experience with Linux , then before you would even do an
> install , you would have checked out the Hardware Compatibility List (HCL)
> to make sure that your system components are compatible with Linux or that
> there was driver support for the system components.
>
> If you had some Linux experience , then you should have known that the ATI
> video cards don't play nice with Linux because they lack decent driver
> support and that you would have used a nVidia graphics card instead.
If you had noticed, almost every laptop on the market with
decent performance (ie, not a celeron with integrated intel
graphics), uses ATI graphics. NVidia ones exist, but they
are as scarce as hen's teeth.
Not only that, but ATI graphics DID work in 7.10 with my
current laptop, but wireless and sound didn't. With 8.04
wireless and sound started working, but ATI graphics stopped
working.
Furthermore, with 9.10 something else has been broken, and
now resume from suspend doesn't work, and it is getting
major hard drive corruption if it needs a hard reset. That
is nothing to do with ATI or nVidia. Running without ATI
drivers worked perfectly (albeit slowly) on earlier versions
and now it doesn't, so something else has broken.

--
What is the difference between a duck?