From: Clocky on
Doug Jewell wrote:
> I generally quite like Linux. I've run it on servers since
> it's early days, and every now and then I try it as a
> desktop OS.
>
> It worked reasonably well on my previous laptop - had Ubuntu
> 7.04 on it, and it was reasonably capable, able to be my 75%
> OS, with Windows getting used about 25% for various apps
> that wouldn't run on Linux. Early last year, I decided it
> was long past time to upgrade my laptop, so went out and
> bought a shiny new Toshiba Satellite. Installed Ubuntu 7.10
> on it, but had no sound and no wireless, so I stayed with
> Vista.

<snip rant>

Yep, Linux manages to disappoint time and time again.

I have tried many distro's over the years and every time it either doesn't
work properly or an update breaks something. I've given up on it because
really, with XP, I've had no reason to try an alternative... it has been
ultra-reliable and runs and supports everything I could ever need at this
point in time.

From: z1 on
Doug Jewell wrote:
> I generally quite like Linux. I've run it on servers since it's early
> days, and every now and then I try it as a desktop OS.

have you tried Mint?
From: Gary R. Schmidt on
Doug Jewell wrote:
> I generally quite like Linux. I've run it on servers since it's early
> days, and every now and then I try it as a desktop OS.
[SNIP rant]

It's not *Linux* that is your problem, but ATI.

If ATI released decent drivers to the Linux world, then your display
would work.

The above sentence can be repeated ad infinitum replacing "ATI" with
"manufacturer of item X" and "display" with "X".

And "released decent drivers" can be replaced with "released
specifications" or "released information not under a Non-Disclosure
Agreement that prevents an open-source driver being written" and
variations thereon.

Linux cannot force manufacturers to produce drivers for hardware, the
manufacturers will only do so when they feel that it will not cost them
anything, or if *not* producing them will cost them something.

Write nasty letters to ATI, if you want ATI to (adequately) support Linux.

I use nVidia, they seem to have better support, at least for Solaris,
which I run in preference to Linux, and, of course, systems for which I
can get no or inadequate Linux or Solaris drivers, such as the laptop I
am posting from, run Windows. (Well, it runs OpenSUSE fine, but I
don't like what they've done with their Gnome Desktop, so I don't run it.)

Cheers,
Gary B-)
From: terryc on
On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 20:09:53 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

> Yeah I only ever use it when XP or Vista wont work, like with a
> corrupted NTFS partition comes up as RAW etc.

So what do you do then?

From: Rod Speed on
terryc wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>> Yeah I only ever use it when XP or Vista wont work, like
>> with a corrupted NTFS partition comes up as RAW etc.

> So what do you do then?

Linux will allow access to the partition contents fine, its rather
less picky about NTFS partitions than XP and Vista are.