From: Tauno Voipio on
On 10.3.10 11:00 , Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Tauno Voipio a �crit :
>> On 10.3.10 4:00 , kiran wrote:
>>> I am unable to make my system dual boot as linux Red Hat 5.0 was
>>> unable to load and gives a msg as kernel panic. i had already loaded
>>> WIN 7 as one of my O system
>>
>> A wild guess:
>>
>> The Windows partition is at the start of the disk, and the Linux
>> boot files are so far up in the disk that the BIOS cannot access
>> them.
>
> Doesn't a kernel panic require that the kernel is loaded and running ?

Yes, it does - but it does not mean that e.g. all things from
an initrd are in. The kernel may have difficulties to run a
SATA disk without the drivers.

It would be interesting to know what other complaints are there
before the panic.

--

Tauno Voipio

From: Pascal Hambourg on
Tauno Voipio a �crit :
> On 10.3.10 11:00 , Pascal Hambourg wrote:
>>
>> Tauno Voipio a �crit :
>>>
>>> A wild guess:
>>>
>>> The Windows partition is at the start of the disk, and the Linux
>>> boot files are so far up in the disk that the BIOS cannot access
>>> them.
>>
>> Doesn't a kernel panic require that the kernel is loaded and running ?
>
> Yes, it does - but it does not mean that e.g. all things from
> an initrd are in.

This would mean that the bootloader and the kernel are located within
the BIOS limit, but unfortunately at least a part of the initrd is
located beyond, right ? A workaround would be to reinstall and create a
small /boot partition right after the existing Windows partitions.

I just wonder, does the bootloader starts the kernel anyway if it failed
to load the initrd ?

> It would be interesting to know what other complaints are there
> before the panic.

For sure.
From: Tauno Voipio on
Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Tauno Voipio a �crit :
>> On 10.3.10 11:00 , Pascal Hambourg wrote:
>>> Tauno Voipio a �crit :

>>> Doesn't a kernel panic require that the kernel is loaded and running ?
>> Yes, it does - but it does not mean that e.g. all things from
>> an initrd are in.
>
> This would mean that the bootloader and the kernel are located within
> the BIOS limit, but unfortunately at least a part of the initrd is
> located beyond, right ? A workaround would be to reinstall and create a
> small /boot partition right after the existing Windows partitions.
>
> I just wonder, does the bootloader starts the kernel anyway if it failed
> to load the initrd ?
>
>> It would be interesting to know what other complaints are there
>> before the panic.
>
> For sure.

I was a bit slow: The distribution is so old that there
are good reasons to suspect that the kernel cannot handle
the huge disk at all.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi