From: kiran on
I am unable to make my system dual boot as linux Red Hat 5.0 was
unable to load and gives a msg as kernel panic. i had already loaded
WIN 7 as one of my O system
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Mar 9, 9:00 pm, kiran <kkiran1...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I am unable to make my system dual boot as linux Red Hat 5.0 was
> unable to load and gives a msg as kernel panic. i had already loaded
> WIN 7 as one of my O system

There is no such thing as "RHEL 5.0". There is "RHEL 5", and the
update point releases 5.1, 5.2, etc. And even those are split into
"server" and "client versions", which drives me nuts.

Consider testing with a CentOS 5.4 installation DVD, just to see if
the latest RHEL kernels work on your hardware.
From: Tauno Voipio on
On 10.3.10 4:00 , kiran wrote:
> I am unable to make my system dual boot as linux Red Hat 5.0 was
> unable to load and gives a msg as kernel panic. i had already loaded
> WIN 7 as one of my O system

A wild guess:

The Windows partition is at the start of the disk, and the Linux
boot files are so far up in the disk that the BIOS cannot access
them.

How is the disk partitioned?

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

From: Matt Giwer on
On 03/09/2010 09:00 PM, kiran wrote:
> I am unable to make my system dual boot as linux Red Hat 5.0 was
> unable to load and gives a msg as kernel panic. i had already loaded
> WIN 7 as one of my O system

If by some chance you really mean RH5 from ten years ago. I had no problem
with dual boot with Win 3.1. If that is what you really mean I can only
suggest getting the current Fedora 12 so there is a common reference point for
discussion. You know you are getting old when you remember 5 beta was called
Cartman.

--
Hodie sexto Idus Martias MMX est
-- The Ferric Webcaesar
From: Pascal Hambourg on
Hello,

Tauno Voipio a �crit :
> On 10.3.10 4:00 , kiran wrote:
>> I am unable to make my system dual boot as linux Red Hat 5.0 was
>> unable to load and gives a msg as kernel panic. i had already loaded
>> WIN 7 as one of my O system
>
> A wild guess:
>
> The Windows partition is at the start of the disk, and the Linux
> boot files are so far up in the disk that the BIOS cannot access
> them.

Doesn't a kernel panic require that the kernel is loaded and running ?