From: David Bolt on
On Monday 24 May 2010 15:09, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
houghi painted this mural:

> Anybody knows of any wardriving software in GUI available on Factory if
> possible. 11.2 would also do. I want it to be on the repo as I am not
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> yet willing to build it.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This may be a problem.

> It is not that important.

But, since you say it's not important...

I don't think you're likely to find any on the build service, and
probably not even on Packman, as they are likely to view them as
possible network intrusion tools. However, here's a couple of links
that point to some available software:

<http://www.wardriving.com/code.php>
<http://www.wardrive.net/wardriving/tools>

Although I haven't checked, they are probably source packages only, so
you'd have to build the software yourself.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
openSUSE 11.0 32b | | | openSUSE 11.3M4 32b

From: Will Honea on
houghi wrote:

> David Bolt wrote:
>> On Monday 24 May 2010 15:09, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
>> houghi painted this mural:
>>
>>> Anybody knows of any wardriving software in GUI available on Factory if
>>> possible. 11.2 would also do. I want it to be on the repo as I am not
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> yet willing to build it.
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> This may be a problem.
>
> Strange as in Windows you would have it standard where you can see what
> connections are available and what not.
>
> How will you be able to see in the GUI what you will be able to connect
> with?
>
> I can even do a simple thing like:
> pizza:~ # iwlist wlan0 scan|egrep 'ESSID:|Encryption'|sed 's/ //g'
> Encryption key:on
> ESSID:"the destroyer"
> Encryption key:on
> ESSID:"Netwerk_JUPI"
> Encryption key:on
> ESSID:"linksys"
> Encryption key:on
> ESSID:"Coco(a)Dan"
> Encryption key:on
> ESSID:"Eufami"
> Encryption key:on
> ESSID:"Wifi Sunita"
> Encryption key:on
> ESSID:"HomeEB"
> Encryption key:on
> ESSID:"Wifi22"
> Encryption key:on
> ESSID:"Saintjulies network"
>
> I did the egrep as first I want to protect the innocent and secondly
> because I have no idea what the rest of the information means. And that
> would be unavailable in a GUI? That is kind hard to believe.
> How would you then find out if your OWN network is up or not? Go into
> CLI? I would say that is doubtfull.
>
> And all the links I tried where about 8 years out of date for some and
> some that do work are way more then what I am looking for.

Actually, that functionality is available (and has been for a long time)
with knetworkmanager - or whatever the KDE4 name is now - under
the "connect to other network" menu item. I use it all the time. The only
thing missing is the channel used for which I have to resort to iwlist when
looking for conflicts. That's my main use for it anyway other than checking
for available hotspots in a strange location.

--
Will Honea

From: David Bolt on
On Monday 24 May 2010 22:45, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
houghi painted this mural:

> Will Honea wrote:
>> Actually, that functionality is available (and has been for a long time)
>> with knetworkmanager - or whatever the KDE4 name is now - under
>> the "connect to other network" menu item. I use it all the time. The only
>> thing missing is the channel used for which I have to resort to iwlist when
>> looking for conflicts. That's my main use for it anyway other than checking
>> for available hotspots in a strange location.
>
> Mmm.
> pizza:~ # zypper in knetworkmanager
> Reading installed packages...
> 'knetworkmanager' not found.
> Resolving package dependencies...

The one you're looking for is NetworkManager-kde4, NetworkManager-kde,
or NetworkManager-gnome. Then there's NetworkManager-novellvpn, with
the KDE4 and Gnome front ends, and also NetworkManager-openvpn,
NetworkManager-pptp, and NetworkManager-vpnc with their Gnome, KDE, and
KDE4 front ends.

> So I looked it up and it seems to be some sort of front for
> networkmanager and some sort of thingy in the system tray. I don't have
> a system tray. So nothing else?

No idea. There is a WiFi plasmoid for KDE4, but that only shows the
signal strength of the connected access point, and it's not much use if
you aren't running KDE4.

Regards,
David Bolt